• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 06:21 PM

I have a blade on one tractor, a blower on another.......What do you prefer?

I have always had a plow truck, so am more used to the blade....My old truck has just about had it, hydraulics on the plow need work, so I am doing the yard with my Ford LGT (blade) and MF10 (blower). I have a pretty big yard to plow, so what I have been doing is pushing the snow to the side with the blade and then use the blower to blow that over the bank into the bush....no big piles of snow that way.......If we get a real big snowfall, I guess the blower will get more of the work.

I like plowing with the blade better....less snow blowing back in your face....lol

What do you prefer?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 06:29 PM

Hey Poncho if thats your plow truck back there it looks like it could move quite a bit of snow.As far as using the blade or blower I prefer using the blower.Being that I have heated cabs on both I don't have to worry about snow blowing back into my face.LOL BTW Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Larry

#3 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 06:34 PM

Hey Poncho if thats your plow truck back there it looks like it could move quite a bit of snow.................. BTW Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Larry

Yes, the truck has been good for the last 10+ years, but she is really in rough shape now..body is falling off, .engine barely runs and hydraulic pump for the plow isnt working.....Got to find another truck, rebuild the Meyers pump unit......for now, its the tractors to the rescue.......Merry Xmas and Happy New Years to you too.

#4 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 07:06 PM

I like blades and FELs better, but if I lived in big snow country I'd probably like the blower better. The thing with blades and FELs is that you need someplace to pile the snow.

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,702 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 07:17 PM

I like using both.
But my favorite would be the blower.

I keep both ready because the thing with these single stage blowers is you need about 3'' + in order for it to work well. So when we get a small snow fall then I use the blade.
sbl.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 1050 plowing 005.jpg

#6 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 07:43 PM

I use the blade on my 83-JD 420 & blower on the 74-JD 112 w/cab, depending on the weather & snow conditions. ~~ grnspot110

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM1901 - Copy (640x478).jpg
  • GARDEN TRACTORS 198a.jpg
  • GARDEN TRACTORS 700 - Copy.jpg

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 07:46 PM

I have never in my life used a blower, so I can't say truthfully. BUT, in February I will be receiving my Bush Hog blower, so I may just have to find out! Probably won't have appreciable snow for years after!

#8 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 08:08 PM

Little snow = Blade
Big snow = Blower

#9 KBear OFFLINE  

KBear

Garden Tractor Nerd

• Member No: 1459
  • 89 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 08:12 PM

I have never in my life used a blower, so I can't say truthfully.

Like Daniel I've never used a blower always a front blade or when the snow gets really deep I use the FEL tractor. However, correct me if I'm wrong, I guess it would depend on the surface you're blowing right? I wouldn't think a blower would be what you want to use on a gravel drive. My drive is all gravel so I'm not sure a blower would be the implement to use for me anyway. Even using a blade or the FEL I'm always amazed on how much gravel I inadvertently push up even after I try my very best not to.

Kenneth

#10 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 08:16 PM

Little snow = Blade
Big snow = Blower

:ditto:

#11 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 08:38 PM

Like Daniel I've never used a blower always a front blade or when the snow gets really deep I use the FEL tractor. However, correct me if I'm wrong, I guess it would depend on the surface you're blowing right? I wouldn't think a blower would be what you want to use on a gravel drive. My drive is all gravel so I'm not sure a blower would be the implement to use for me anyway. Even using a blade or the FEL I'm always amazed on how much gravel I inadvertently push up even after I try my very best not to.

Kenneth

I've used blowers on gravel. A little noisy sometimes, but not a big deal. In both cases you want to keep them up a little off the ground.

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 10:04 PM

Never had a blower to try, but when I went from a tractor with just a 4' blade to a tractor with fel with 6'snow blade that was a big help piling up the snow, 0227100949b.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 1127101433.jpg

#13 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted December 24, 2010 - 02:16 AM

Now that I've used the blower a few times, I like it much better. I have a gravel drive as well and just set the skids up one inch and havn't thrown any yet. Clearing paths behind the house it exposes the grass, but I havn't caused any diggins. Doing the sidewalk a little ways in each direction(with skids still at highest setting) a friend watching said it was sucking the snow up into it, so instead of leaving a full inch there was only 1/4-3/8 left. I still can't wait to to get the time and money to finaly rebuild the engine in the qt16 though, as everyone else has said the single stage thrower don't work when there's three inches or less. I know, I know, I could just adapt my blade to fit the tube frame, but using a blade with a gear drive is about as bad as using a shovel. A blade on a hydro, now that's nice, but you run outta room real quick hear in the snow belt.
Oh yea, I'm still learning to stay out of the downwind blow from the discharge of the caster, but it's seat time so I'm still grinnin.

#14 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 24, 2010 - 08:30 AM

Like many posts before, I don't have a blower...yet LOL! I have an OLD gravel driveway that is heavily mounded in the center between the wheel ruts. there are times (when the snow is not sticky) that I actually have to plow across the drive to get it out of the ruts. If I find some money next year, I'd like to get the drive back into shape. I still would like to have a snowblower for the Wheel Horse, just wouldn't be able to use it everywhere until the drive is leveled out.

#15 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted December 24, 2010 - 08:39 AM

I have an OLD gravel driveway that is heavily mounded in the center between the wheel ruts. there are times (when the snow is not sticky) that I actually have to plow across the drive to get it out of the ruts. If I find some money next year, I'd like to get the drive back into shape..

I just built this just for that purpose.........havent tried it much yet, but seems to work well.....

Posted Image

Posted Image