• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ricky racer OFFLINE  

ricky racer
  • Member No: 49307
  • 39 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 08:07 PM

Got my PK all back together this afternoon and wanted to take it outside and try the snowblower out and take some pictures to post on Craigslist and the Economy wouldn't move. Careful inspection revealed the rear transmission was frozen. Evidently there was water in the tranny and the temps in the teens meant no moving today. She setting in the barn now with a heat lamp under it. Tomorrow I'll drain the fluid and replace it with fresh gear lube and try it all over again.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#2 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 09:59 PM

Careful with the water, it can easily split a case when it freezes. Also gear oil can get very stiff when it gets cold.

#3 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 06:51 AM

I never heard of water getting into the  rear but wonder if you should crack the drain plug  if you get a lot out of the trans .

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 06:58 AM

Anybody that keeps their PK outside will have this problem sooner or later.  There doesn't have to be much water in there for the thing to freeze solid.  This happened to me once.  I got the tranny warmed up, drained, fresh oil and I never had the problem again.  Remember, only a half pint of oil in the tranny.  DON'T fill until it comes out of the hole.  That's too much!

#5 sep OFFLINE  

sep
  • Member No: 25080
  • 60 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 09:16 PM

I just took the covers off both of mine. the rear looked like coffee milk and the front looked great but with only 3oz left in it. Go figure! I seldom leave it outside and when I do, it is covered.