#16 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 06:31 PM

Another update:

I set the governor as it is supposed to be in the Wisconsin service manual. It didn't help the no-idle problem, but as I was messing around I found it was sucking air through the throttle shaft seals. Replacing those fixed my idle issue. I guess I should have done them when I worked on the carb...

I put the hood back on after that, and found that the hood stop hits the solenoid. Whoever replaced the solenoid didn't check (or didn't care) to make sure there was clearance. Nothing a drill wouldn't fix...

All I have to do now is secure the battery, and put an air filter on it, and she's ready to go.
  • LPBolens and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#17 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted January 20, 2014 - 12:37 AM

Quick update:

It runs!!!!

I finally put in a couple hours on the tractor today. It was way too cold to do anything last weekend and earlier in the week. I don't have heat in the shop.

It fired right up, but it won't idle. The governor keeps the rpm at probably half throttle. I tried lengthening the rod in the throttle linkage, which didn't help, and then I disconnected the throttle linkage altogether. The rpm still stayed up. If I push against the governor lever, it will slow down, but as soon as I let go the rpm increases again. I wonder if the return spring is too weak? Anyone ever run into this before?

Thanks,
Bob

Surely sounds like an air leak. Same thing happened on my 1053 a couple of years back. I sprayed with WD-40 each area of the carb and intake until I found where the idle would slow down and smooth out. So, I ordered a rebuild kit for the carb and that took care the problem.

• Kfs35 said thank you

#18 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted January 20, 2014 - 12:38 AM

Another update:

I set the governor as it is supposed to be in the Wisconsin service manual. It didn't help the no-idle problem, but as I was messing around I found it was sucking air through the throttle shaft seals. Replacing those fixed my idle issue. I guess I should have done them when I worked on the carb...

I put the hood back on after that, and found that the hood stop hits the solenoid. Whoever replaced the solenoid didn't check (or didn't care) to make sure there was clearance. Nothing a drill wouldn't fix...

All I have to do now is secure the battery, and put an air filter on it, and she's ready to go.

Ah. There you have it. Way to go.

• Kfs35 said thank you

#19 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 10:00 PM

Another update: It drives!!!

Finished it up yesterday. Ran into one last problem, couldn't get the clutch to release. I kept working it, and used a little percussion maintenance, and finally got it to release. It was just stuck from sitting so long. Gave it a quick little spin around the yard, and called it a day.

The big seat looks bad, but sure is comfortable!

Here are a few shots of it after the drive.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

#20 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 10:09 PM

Another update: It drives!!!

Finished it up yesterday. Ran into one last problem, couldn't get the clutch to release. I kept working it, and used a little percussion maintenance, and finally got it to release. It was just stuck from sitting so long. Gave it a quick little spin around the yard, and called it a day.

The big seat looks bad, but sure is comfortable!

Here are a few shots of it after the drive.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Dosent look too bad, glad to hear its running.

I'd say about 8 times out of 10 the clutches will freeze after sitting for so long. May Grandfather used to put a block of wood to hold down the clutch petal if he was going to store them for a long time.

• gbrown and Kfs35 have said thanks

#21 gbrown OFFLINE  

gbrown

• Member No: 8021
  • 20 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 01:20 PM

Another update:

Does a standard carb rebuild kit come with replacement throttle shaft seals? Is there a separate kit for those? I hunted locally for a kit for my Zenith 68-7 carb and when I finally found one I mentioned to the gentleman that my throttle shafts seemed worn/loose and he advised that I just buy a whole new carb! I asked about bushing them (I've read that elsewhere here) and he said that by the time I paid him to do it, I could have bought a NOS carb. Please give me any details you've got about the throttle shaft seals while it's fresh on your mind. Thanks. 

#22 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 01:32 PM

Does a standard carb rebuild kit come with replacement throttle shaft seals? Is there a separate kit for those? I hunted locally for a kit for my Zenith 68-7 carb and when I finally found one I mentioned to the gentleman that my throttle shafts seemed worn/loose and he advised that I just buy a whole new carb! I asked about bushing them (I've read that elsewhere here) and he said that by the time I paid him to do it, I could have bought a NOS carb. Please give me any details you've got about the throttle shaft seals while it's fresh on your mind. Thanks. 

The kits I have gotten from Napa have included the seals for both the throttle and choke shafts. If the carb is really worn, seals by themselves won't cure it, they won't take the slop out. 

The one on this tractor is still kind of sloppy, so I may try and mix and match with a couple of other carburetors I've got to find one that isn't as worn.  I'm still not happy with the way it runs, it still seems to be sucking a little air around the throttle shaft.

Bob

• gbrown said thank you

#23 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 01:35 PM

The shaft Seals come with the Kits (LQ33 & LQ39)

Bushings were sold separately.

#24 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 01:37 PM

Not all these Carburetors  came equipped with Bushings, Only the older models.