Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Why Does My Ford 120 Battery Go Dead While Tractor Is In Use?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 06:34 PM

Hi, I took some readings on my 68 Ford 120, 12hp Kohler today as a benchmark for a similar motor to yours. 

Thanks, that's great info.
  • OldBlue120 said thank you

#47 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • Member No: 50196
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 12:19 PM

11.49 volts is not fully charged, and your charger should not have indicated that it was.  I've found some chargers will initially say a battery is charged, but if you leave it attached they will gradually begin to charge.  I think you have indicated that this is a relatively new battery, right?  I think either your repair didn't last, or that the initial problem is a broken wire, still not fixed, but that you moved back into place while you were troubleshooting and it has lost contact again.

Right you are Howard. I took the battery out and put it on the charger and it went over to the charging side slowly and then I left it overnight and the full charge light said charged 100%. So I think I misread the charger initially maybe.   So I was down at my Dads house last night and found a fairly new battery as well for Garden Tractors so I brought that home and it is fully charged so I will keep on battling and now have 2 batteries. Granted I only need one.  I got to look over the other Ford 100 still down there and that one even though missing quite a few parts is in really nice shape, better than this 120 in fact. So I am excited about the future of these restoration projects and hope to have the time to work on them.  I need to improve my knowledge on testing the S/G and voltage Regulator. I just don't know the correct steps.

IE:  #1. Place negative terminal of voltage meter where? #1 Place positive one where? #3 then turn over tractor, #4 Volt meter should read X.XX if good. X.XX if bad.

I will get it.

#48 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • Member No: 50196
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 01:23 PM

:ditto:  I had noticed that you have a few splices and butt connectors. Try pulling/wiggling the wires at the different connectors. One of these could be the problem or maybe the regulator is sticking? Don't give up yet, you know that it did work and will work again.

I really want to perform a total autopsy on the electrical system and then to a total transplant.  I agree I think that a connection may be bad. I will keep on trying to diagnose. I need really brainless step by step instructions on how to test these things.  I am learning and having  fun in the process.

#49 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 03:24 PM

Normally, when working on a DC electrical system, the black wire should attach to ground. The only time that really isn't the case is when you are checking voltage drop across something or checking continuity.