Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Why Does My Ford 120 Battery Go Dead While Tractor Is In Use?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • Member No: 50196
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 05:20 PM

Well I was testing and checking away and got to the S/G and one of the wires just snapped off it when I went to check it. I am guessing the connection wasn't so good.

So I replaced the wire connection and screwed it back on and now things seem to be working a little smoother.

001.JPG

We are getting positive reading on the ammeter. both while idling and with lights and PTO on.

The battery reads about 12 off and about 13.9 or so while on. So I guess that is good.

I hope we are race ready.  Let it snow.

Edited by OldBlue120, December 17, 2013 - 05:21 PM.

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#32 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 05:25 PM

Well I was testing and checking away and got to the S/G and one of the wires just snapped off it when I went to check it. I am guessing the connection wasn't so good.
So I replaced the wire connection and screwed it back on and now things seem to be working a little smoother.

attachicon.gif001.JPG

We are getting positive reading on the ammeter. both while idling and with lights and PTO on.
The battery reads about 12 off and about 13.9 or so while on. So I guess that is good.

I hope we are race ready.  Let it snow.

There you go! 13.9 is pretty good and the fact that the ammeter shows positive is a very good sign.

Like you said, let it snow :D
  • OldBlue120 said thank you

#33 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 05:32 PM

Glad to hear you have it charging again!

• Chopperhed and OldBlue120 have said thanks

#34 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 06:09 PM

Glad it was something simple. :thumbs:

#35 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 07:15 PM

Glad it was something simple. :thumbs:

It's been my experience that it usually is.

Electrical components on these old tractors were designed to last, not like modern systems.

#36 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 08:33 PM

Excellent news !  Positive charge on the ammeter means you've fixed your issue until the next time  LOL!

#37 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 01:57 AM

Great job getting it running again, glad it wasn't too big a deal, the folk's are awesome on here and know their stuff

#38 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 06:35 AM

Glad you found your problem and didn't cost any $$$$$ to repair !

#39 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • Member No: 50196
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 05:43 PM

Well everything seemed to be pointed in the right direction ........but this morning all the time it was running blowing snow the ammeter was in the negative, even before I engaged the PTO and when I shut her off it was dead as a doornail.  So I left it and went to my office. This afternoon I took out the battery and it tested 11.49 and I went to put it on the charger and the charger said it was fully charged.

ok.

So I put it back on the tractor and it wouldn't start it.

So why does it start like first thing this AM with no hesitation at all, same battery is now fully charged and it won't start.  I guess there is an intermittent issue here maybe. I guess I am back to the drawing board on the testing/ Troubleshooting. 

It felt good though for about 12 hours thinking it was fixed.  Ah the joys of tinkering.

#40 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 06:04 PM

The charging issue is still screaming regulator or ground at the reg/generator. The battery showing 12.5 static is OK, but what does it show while you are trying to crank it over?

#41 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 06:07 PM

11.49 volts is not fully charged, and your charger should not have indicated that it was.  I've found some chargers will initially say a battery is charged, but if you leave it attached they will gradually begin to charge.  I think you have indicated that this is a relatively new battery, right?  I think either your repair didn't last, or that the initial problem is a broken wire, still not fixed, but that you moved back into place while you were troubleshooting and it has lost contact again.

• MH81 and OldBlue120 have said thanks

#42 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 06:15 PM

I read that 11.49 as 12.49... No, that shouldn't show charged.

#43 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 06:24 PM

11.49 volts is not fully charged, and your charger should not have indicated that it was.  I've found some chargers will initially say a battery is charged, but if you leave it attached they will gradually begin to charge.  I think you have indicated that this is a relatively new battery, right?  I think either your repair didn't last, or that the initial problem is a broken wire, still not fixed, but that you moved back into place while you were troubleshooting and it has lost contact again.

:ditto:  I had noticed that you have a few splices and butt connectors. Try pulling/wiggling the wires at the different connectors. One of these could be the problem or maybe the regulator is sticking? Don't give up yet, you know that it did work and will work again.

#44 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 08:01 PM

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere.

#45 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 03:49 PM

Well everything seemed to be pointed in the right direction ........but this morning all the time it was running blowing snow the ammeter was in the negative, even before I engaged the PTO and when I shut her off it was dead as a doornail.  So I left it and went to my office. This afternoon I took out the battery and it tested 11.49 and I went to put it on the charger and the charger said it was fully charged.

ok.

So I put it back on the tractor and it wouldn't start it.

So why does it start like first thing this AM with no hesitation at all, same battery is now fully charged and it won't start.  I guess there is an intermittent issue here maybe. I guess I am back to the drawing board on the testing/ Troubleshooting. 

It felt good though for about 12 hours thinking it was fixed.  Ah the joys of tinkering.

Hi, I took some readings on my 68 Ford 120, 12hp Kohler today as a benchmark for a similar motor to yours.  My tractor was spray-painted in the past so i can't see any markings on electical terminals.  Will try to describe the terminals based on location.  All readings in volts at fast engine idle.

Starter/Generator has 2 terminals.

Terminal towards front of tractor reads 11.14

Terminal towards rear of tractor reads 15.89

Voltage regulator has 3 terminals on left/pto side the way it is mounted, close to the steering shaft.

Top terminal reads 11.09

Middle terminal reads 15.65

Bottom terminal reads 15.65

I was able to hold the black lead on the -battery terminal for all readings, a pretty compact charging system.  My battery was charging at 15.65 volts which means the regulator isn't regulating the voltage down as it should.  One or more of my regulator readings above should have been closer to 13.6 instead of 15.6 and that 13.6 or so should be going out to the battery.  So i have an overcharging issue, the opposite of yours it sounds like.

Anyway now you have a benchmark esp. for the starter/generator to compare to your charging system.  Maybe this can help you figure out where the problem is.

As for why your charger says "charged" but your voltmeter is saying 11.49, and then your engine won't start, if you're saying the battery is too weak to turn the engine over, sounds like maybe your charger is wrong.  I would try testing other known batteries like in a vehicle with your voltmeter and charger to see if you can figure out which is true.  Since your voltmeter/multimeter is new i would be inclined to believe it, esp. since battry chargers don't seem to last long these days but should check other batteries to be sure.  good luck

• MH81 said thank you