Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Why Does My Ford 120 Battery Go Dead While Tractor Is In Use?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 09:16 PM

Doesn't the Kohler S/G set up use the old style regulator. I bet the contacts are stuck or burnt.

regulator.jpg

• chris m and OldBlue120 have said thanks

#17 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 09:46 PM

Doesn't the Kohler S/G set up use the old style regulator. I bet the contacts are stuck or burnt.

attachicon.gifregulator.jpg

Yea it does Brian. And it could be the problem.
if all the connections and battery are good then this is a good possibility!

• OldBlue120 said thank you

#18 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 09:52 PM

The old style regulators are serviceable if you know how.

Also, older late 60s early 70s ford trucks used adjustable regulators that would probably work fine.
  • Alc said thank you

#19 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • Member No: 50196
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 05:17 PM

I turned the ignition to try to turn on the tractor, it would not start and here is the ammeter with the engine off, fully charged battery, fully frozen hands as it is like 6 out.

010.JPG

#20 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 05:22 PM

I jump started the tractor, here is the ammeter with tractor running.

013.JPG

Negative charge as well. 

I totally cleaned the GROUND wire and I am sure that connection is clean and crisp.

I removed the voltage regulator and cleaned all the connections up and I don't think that has been off in years but I did all of this before these readings. 

So now I need to figure out how to use this.

014.JPG

I couldn't even figure out how to use it to test the battery. All the different settings. I admit I am knumber than a pounded thumb on this stuff. ... but learning.

I hooked the battery to the battery charger and it said it was 100% charged.

Let the fun begin.

What prong on the voltage regulator tests what?

#21 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 05:37 PM

Is the first picture with the key off? If so some thing is eating electrical juice. With the engine running and showing discharge problem is in the charging portion of the circuit. Engine off, key off, discharge showing on gauge means something is using power. Off the top of my head I can't remember if a bad regulator could be causing both issues. (It is a possibility)

For 12v system set dial to 20 dcv. Hooked to battery, should read ~12.2 v.

#22 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 05:46 PM

To get started using a voltmeter go to YouTube and search "using a voltmeter" watch a couple of videos, get a feel of what you should be looking for. Good luck. 

#23 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 08:41 PM

Is the first picture with the key off? If so some thing is eating electrical juice. With the engine running and showing discharge problem is in the charging portion of the circuit. Engine off, key off, discharge showing on gauge means something is using power. Off the top of my head I can't remember if a bad regulator could be causing both issues. (It is a possibility)

For 12v system set dial to 20 dcv. Hooked to battery, should read ~12.2 v.

The first picture is with the key turned full over trying to start the engine.  When the key is turned off the ammeter doesn't move, it is on 0.  When I go to turn it on or when it is running it goes right to negative.

#24 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 08:46 PM

attachicon.gifregulator.jpg

The contacts on the voltage regulator being where the wires connect? I took off the voltage regulator and cleaned all the surfaces and then reattached the whole thing. Also cleaned up the ground so that is a nice fresh connection as well.  The ammeter reads negative when the tractor is running.  Something is draining the battery while it is running. I need to trouble shoot big time.  I just am a little unclear on the sequence of trouble shooting, and how. How do you effectively test the voltage regulator to see if it is functioning correctly? Or is it the starter generator that is bad? How do you test that? I have a digital multi-tester. Just don't know how to use it. yet.

#25 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 08:50 PM

I actually have two voltage regulators. There was one in the pile of parts I got from my Dads house. There is another starter generator as well but one of the mounts is busted off. I don't know if either of these are defective or functional.  A conversation with my Dad would sure be nice right now. He would handle this in snap.  I guess he is looking down from heaven now saying I taught you perseverance, now figure it out!

007.JPG

#26 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 08:54 PM

if the ammeter moved to the left it indicates the battery is discharging. Mine does that during cranking. .

The needle should move to the right after start up. If not, then the charge system is faulty, or there is a drain bigger than the system can handle

It goes to the left (negative) during cranking, pic 1 below, and while running pic 2 below.

010.JPG

013.JPG

#27 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 08:57 PM

Well this is good info here because regarding the Ameter, I am pretty sure it moved to the left. So on rectifier, you mean the voltage regulator when you say rectifier correct? It has three prongs and is mounted with a screw on top and bottom?  I just went out and looked at the ammeter to double check but I am pretty sure it moved to the negative. I didn't even know which way it was supposed to move. I just saw it move so was like, cool, it works. 

I took the battery out this afternoon so nothing is connected now anyway. I will recharge the battery.

I removed and cleaned the voltage regulator (rectifier) and replaced that. I also cleaned the ground so that is fresh, then took these shots of a fully charged battery. pic 1 is during cranking. Pic 2 is while running. Both over to the negative.

010.JPG

013.JPG

#28 OldBlue120 OFFLINE  

OldBlue120
  • 87 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 09:04 PM

There is also the possibility that something is drawing more power than the charging system can produce
even if the charging system is in perfect condition. Turn headlights on ,Run engine at least 1/2 throttle & check battery volts (13-14v.) If this doesn't cure the problem, check alternator leads (kohler Engines run 27Volts a.c.). If U have a 3 terminal regulator, outside terminals will read 27v.ac
and center terminal will read 13-14v. If no ac on outside terminals, alt. coil is bad. If no volts on center, most likely regulator is bad. If bat. ignition & U let it idle
too much, that could drain bat. If U don't have an ammeter on UR tractor get 1 & it will help U with UR problem.

Can you advise what settings I need to set my digital multi tester voltmeter to check each of the voltage regulator terminals? Do I touch them with the red prong? The black? I don't know this stuff.

014.JPG

But I will figure it out.

This is good information here. Except I don't have an alternator I have an S/G.

Both these pictures were taken during cranking and while engine was idling.

010.JPG 013.JPG

#29 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 09:05 PM

Ok. Have you looked it the manuals section for the manual? I am not sure if you have open or closed side tractor. I do know that this manual has the wiring diagram for closed side.

http://gardentractor...-repair-manual/

Now as far as voltage regulators watch these....Guy does a good job explaining everything, but you still are going to need the wiring diagram to make sure everything is wired correctly.  Got to love these old machines, lots of fun?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=noK-oZMb8i8

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=UxXuKOQTASE

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=j5sfAebQPow

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zXLGsa6jRcY

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=kxK4GaK1wNg

Hope this helps.

Edited by Bmerf, December 16, 2013 - 09:07 PM.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and OldBlue120 have said thanks

#30 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 07:12 AM

I cannot find a wiring diagram for the S/G models. But I do have this that may help out.

Attached File  1R-116Reg.pdf   1.76MB   63 downloads

• DH1 and OldBlue120 have said thanks