• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• Member No: 1581
  • 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 02:11 PM

Over the summer I got a B-112. It came with a mower and a 42" snow thrower. Mowed great all summer. Snow thrower is on now and went to use it today. Results were not too happy. The unit gets the discharge chute clogged very easily. it really did not seem to be trying to throw the snow at all. It just kind of went a foot or so until the chute clogged. I can tell you the auger is turning the right direction. I was running engine at hi rpm and plowing in first gear. So, for those in the know... what is the trick to snow removal.

• shanesaw said thank you

#2 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 02:25 PM

Is the chute clean and smooth or is it rusty? How deep was the snow. The single stage throwers need the auger to be full of snow to work properly. If the snow is only 3 or 4 inches deep you probably should be in 2nd gear. Make sure chute is clean and rust free. Some guys spray silicone lube or cooking spray in their chutes but I leave mine dry. If the snow is of the heavy wet variety you may  not be able to take a full cut. If the snow is drifted deep you also may need to take less than a full cut. Used my blower on the BigTen today and cleared several 2ft. drifts out of my driveway. Repeated use will help you with judging how much snow it will move...Dave

• Alc and shanesaw have said thanks

#3 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 02:27 PM

Was this a wet heavy snow? If so that would part of the problem you can wax the chute of the blower to help with plugging. I had the same problems yesterday with the 2 stage I have.

#4 cityboy2977 OFFLINE  

cityboy2977

ordinary average guy

• Member No: 6650
  • 117 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 04:38 PM

yep, ya need to be in second gear. and go through that stuff like your mad at it. gotta keep that auger full or she wont blow. but dont sweat it, there is a learning curve to blowing the snow.

i personally, dont put any stock into making the chute slick. snow is abrasive so its going to "sand" off anything you put in there. a few coats of a really good paint might help though. and keep 'er from rusting.

the heavy wet stuff gets us all.

#5 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 05:05 PM

Thanks,

It did seem to do a bit better with a lot of snow but it clogged really easy. It was a pretty wet snow here. I will wire wheel the inside of the chute. It is a bit rusty. I did spray it with silicone, No help there. Get rid of the rust and see what she does next time. I like the wax idea. I have Butchers wax here.

Shure has more power than my Agway GT 11. The GT 11 never plugs up on the other hand. It does like to snap the belt if you over feed however.

Steve

#6 littlemarv OFFLINE  

littlemarv
  • Member No: 34218
  • 61 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 08:56 PM

Is the belt in good shape? If its slipping at all you are done. With single stage blowers auger speed is everything. You want the auger turning at maximum speed.  You have to keep the auger full but not overfull.

• Alc said thank you

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 03:10 AM

Just a q, how much gap between the auger paddles and the body of the blower?

#8 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 07:49 AM

MH 81,

Seems fairly large to me. Is it adjustable? How much gap should their be?

#9 cityboy2977 OFFLINE  

cityboy2977

ordinary average guy

• 117 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 06:52 PM

normal gap is prolly 1/2" but ive never measured. the flat spots(in center) on the auger is a good place for pieces of rubber.

this is what i have on mine....cut from a rubber truck bed mat. held in place with a couple large head self tappers...can use washers for smaller heads.

slings the snow a lil better and keeps the chute clearer IMO.

#10 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Looks like my gap is between 1/4" to 3/8". I do not see anything adjustable to close the gap.

#11 cityboy2977 OFFLINE  

cityboy2977

ordinary average guy

• 117 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 08:52 PM

that is normal. no adjusting. add rubber if ya want

#12 shanesaw OFFLINE  

shanesaw
  • Member No: 50433
  • 31 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 10:26 PM

we just got about a foot of snow here. it wasn't too too wet but there was a lot of it. what i had discovered is contrary to what i was told and what i read in the owners manual. i got the auger spinning like a sonuvagun and just crept along really slow. and she threw like there was no tomorrow. if i tried to go too fast it would overwhelm the ol' girl. i did have the belt on wrong at first so she wasn't doing anything at all. except spinning backwards. but you said your sure that aint the case.  try to ease her into it if you haven't tried that yet. if the auger is spinning and the chute is clear snow should fly.

-shane

• Rock farmer said thank you

#13 Appalachian OFFLINE  

Appalachian
  • Member No: 50647
  • 66 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 12:19 PM

we just got about a foot of snow here. it wasn't too too wet but there was a lot of it. what i had discovered is contrary to what i was told and what i read in the owners manual. i got the auger spinning like a sonuvagun and just crept along really slow. and she threw like there was no tomorrow. if i tried to go too fast it would overwhelm the ol' girl. i did have the belt on wrong at first so she wasn't doing anything at all. except spinning backwards. but you said your sure that aint the case. try to ease her into it if you haven't tried that yet. if the auger is spinning and the chute is clear snow should fly.
-shane

Same here. Then my idler pulley escaped.

Edited by Appalachian, December 17, 2013 - 12:20 PM.