Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone recognize make and model of this plow?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 07:27 PM

Took it apart and time for a cleaning, paint and reassembly.
[ATTACH]8505[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8506[/ATTACH]

This was sitting in someones front yard as a lawn ornament for years, yet every bolt came off and she came apart without any problems. Must of been something good in the steels used a few years ago.

This one looks like a Simplicity 8" model 990024. The 6-1/2" is model 990023 and has the same style of frame. Have never seen the Brinly stamped into them before. Will try to post the manual in the Simplicity section.

Garry

Edited by GWest, December 23, 2010 - 07:42 PM.

#17 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1538
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 07:42 PM

Definitely an early model, going by the design alone, even not accounting for the square bolts. I would keep the square bolts if possible, just to retain the vintage.

OK. I'll be out looking for square head hardware tomorrow. There is a hardware store in town that has been around for quite a while. I'll start there.

Even though I am putting a fresh coat of paint on it with new hardware, I am looking forward to letting some dirt scratch all that paint off.

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 07:44 PM

Even though I am putting a fresh coat of paint on it with new hardware, I am looking forward to letting some dirt scratch all that paint off.

I hear ya on that! I absolutely love to plow! Used to plow a lot on the farm with the big boys, but use no-till the last many years.

#19 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 07:54 PM

This one looks like a Simplicity 8" model 990024. The 6-1/2" is model 990023 and has the same style of frame. Have never seen the Brinly stamped into them before. Will try to post the manual in the Simplicity section.

Garry

Brinly 8 BP was stamped on the Share and Moldboard. Just the name Brinly was stamped on the Landslide.

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,266 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 08:15 PM

My Wards walk behind uses the EXACT same hitch on the harrows. I was told it was a simplicity thing, and that all their equipment that hooked behind would work (using the same hitch.) I don't think that that little bugger could pull an 8 inch tho LOL

I wouldn't bet against the fact that Brinly built for several companies using that design.

#21 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted December 24, 2010 - 08:01 AM

My Wards walk behind uses the EXACT same hitch on the harrows. I was told it was a simplicity thing, and that all their equipment that hooked behind would work (using the same hitch.)

The eyes of the clevis hitch for the disc harrows are parallel to the rear plate that fastens it to the frame.
The eyes of the clevis hitch for the turning plows are tipped enough to allow the right wheel to run in the furrow and keep the plow level.

Garry
  • caseguy said thank you

#22 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 24, 2010 - 08:22 AM

OK. I'll be out looking for square head hardware tomorrow. There is a hardware store in town that has been around for quite a while. I'll start there...

If you have an Amish community nearby that has a tack or buggy shop, you may try there also! That's where I found some hardware for one of my farm tractor projects.

#23 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted December 24, 2010 - 02:59 PM

If you have an Amish community nearby that has a tack or buggy shop, you may try there also! That's where I found some hardware for one of my farm tractor projects.

All I could find was square nuts. The square headed bolts are a problem. Luckily, there are only 2 square headed bolts. A half inch and one quarter inch. The half inch is in good shape. I chased the threads, cleaned it up and will reuse it. The 1/4 inch is bent, so I'll either end up making one, or resorting to a hex head bolt in one location. I'll be going through my tub of nuts and bolts looking for that 1/4 inch square head bolt.

I primed today. Probably a coat of paint tomorrow before Christmas company arrives. I think it will be back together by next weekend.

#24 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 09:07 PM

Done.

SANY0054.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• SANY0050.jpg
  • SANY0041.jpg
  • SANY0053.jpg

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,266 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 09:30 PM

Wow Rickski, that turned out nice. Thanks for the pics!

#26 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 05:22 PM

Rickski That looks great! I plan to start mine soon as well, I only have until April to get it done LOL! It turned out really good.

#27 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted December 31, 2010 - 06:59 AM

Nice job on the plow, it sure looks good!