Garden Tractor Forums banner

Anyone recognize make and model of this plow?

7K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  jhaddan87 
#1 ·
Took it apart and time for a cleaning, paint and reassembly.
View attachment 8505
View attachment 8506

This was sitting in someones front yard as a lawn ornament for years, yet every bolt came off and she came apart without any problems. Must of been something good in the steels used a few years ago.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I think i have the Same plow right here Does it have on the back of the plow blade Brinily in a circle myn does ill take a pic and post for you tomarrow

Its funnie you posted this The same time i was going to ask the same Question The man i bought it from at Flean market Said he was wheel horse

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I guess it's a Brinly 8 inch. It was painted orange and part of a deal made for a Jacobsen Chief. Since it might go behind the Jacobsen or the couple Fords I have, it's getting painted black. Like on the web site, with new zinc plated hardware. Now I need to find some good hardware and something that holds up better than the Home Depot stuff. I still can't believe that all the hardware came off as easy as it did. I might go for stainless, but it is softer than alloy steel. A few minutes with PB Blaster and all is well.
View attachment 8507

Attachments

#10 ·
Rocking416 said:
I think i have the Same plow right here Does it have on the back of the plow blade Brinily in a circle myn does ill take a pic and post for you tomarrow

Its funnie you posted this The same time i was going to ask the same Question The man i bought it from at Flean market Said he was wheel horse

That may have been made for Wheel Horse by Brinly just as his was probably made for Jacobsen. It appears to be thee right color. There are some subtle differences between the one you posted and the one Rickski posted. Yours has the 2 piece upright (bolted together in the middle above the moldboard). The anchor point of the pivot rod is mounted on the opposite side from his, and also yours has a separation in the top rail that goes all the way front to back and is only connected in the middle. I may be seeing things so I'll wait for backup on this one.

#14 ·
Rocking416 said:

This looks like a 10" Simplicity model 990025 for a walking tractor.

Garry

#15 ·
Not many plow building companies out there. Besides Brinly, there was Ohio Steel plows. Anyone know of other brands. Most were not made by their badged named companies. Just like these with the Brinly stamp in the moldboard. The pic above does look like the ones on walk-behinds.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Rickski said:
Took it apart and time for a cleaning, paint and reassembly.
View attachment 8505
View attachment 8506

This was sitting in someones front yard as a lawn ornament for years, yet every bolt came off and she came apart without any problems. Must of been something good in the steels used a few years ago.
This one looks like a Simplicity 8" model 990024. The 6-1/2" is model 990023 and has the same style of frame. Have never seen the Brinly stamped into them before. Will try to post the manual in the Simplicity section.

Garry

#17 ·
olcowhand said:
Definitely an early model, going by the design alone, even not accounting for the square bolts. I would keep the square bolts if possible, just to retain the vintage.
OK. I'll be out looking for square head hardware tomorrow. There is a hardware store in town that has been around for quite a while. I'll start there.

Even though I am putting a fresh coat of paint on it with new hardware, I am looking forward to letting some dirt scratch all that paint off.

#18 ·
Rickski said:
Even though I am putting a fresh coat of paint on it with new hardware, I am looking forward to letting some dirt scratch all that paint off.
I hear ya on that! I absolutely love to plow! Used to plow a lot on the farm with the big boys, but use no-till the last many years.

#19 ·
GWest said:
This one looks like a Simplicity 8" model 990024. The 6-1/2" is model 990023 and has the same style of frame. Have never seen the Brinly stamped into them before. Will try to post the manual in the Simplicity section.

Garry
Brinly 8 BP was stamped on the Share and Moldboard. Just the name Brinly was stamped on the Landslide.

#21 ·
MH81 said:
My Wards walk behind uses the EXACT same hitch on the harrows. I was told it was a simplicity thing, and that all their equipment that hooked behind would work (using the same hitch.)
The eyes of the clevis hitch for the disc harrows are parallel to the rear plate that fastens it to the frame.
The eyes of the clevis hitch for the turning plows are tipped enough to allow the right wheel to run in the furrow and keep the plow level.

Garry

#22 ·
Rickski said:
OK. I'll be out looking for square head hardware tomorrow. There is a hardware store in town that has been around for quite a while. I'll start there...
If you have an Amish community nearby that has a tack or buggy shop, you may try there also! That's where I found some hardware for one of my farm tractor projects.

#23 ·
caseguy said:
If you have an Amish community nearby that has a tack or buggy shop, you may try there also! That's where I found some hardware for one of my farm tractor projects.
All I could find was square nuts. The square headed bolts are a problem. Luckily, there are only 2 square headed bolts. A half inch and one quarter inch. The half inch is in good shape. I chased the threads, cleaned it up and will reuse it. The 1/4 inch is bent, so I'll either end up making one, or resorting to a hex head bolt in one location. I'll be going through my tub of nuts and bolts looking for that 1/4 inch square head bolt.

I primed today. Probably a coat of paint tomorrow before Christmas company arrives. I think it will be back together by next weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.