- - - - -

Take Care Of Your Injuries

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,665 Thanks
  • 4,216 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 11:35 AM

On the 27th of November I threw a wooden skid onto an electric transfer and it bounced back into my right shin. :boo_hoo:

There isn't any "meat" on a shin, and it hurt at 1st, but soon quit hurting. About 1/2 hour later, I pulled my pant leg up to see a 5" long scrape,  brusing and swelling. 

Well, I'm a tough guy and I hit, cut, or do something almost everyday that needs a bandaid, so I wasn't too concerned.

Fast forward two weeks and it is looking worse and now, IT HURTS, and I limping.

I went to after-hours care and got a tetnus shot, an oral antibotic, as well as a topical antibotic.

This injury should never have gotten to this point, but I didn't take proper care of it initally.....And, diabetes certianlly doesn't help the matter. :wallbanging:

SO, people, no matter how minor the cut, scratch or bruise is, treat it properly so you don't have more problems later!

Yes, I have photos, but they are gross looking and I didn't want to scare the women & children!

• KennyP, Littledeere, sacsr and 8 others have said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,045 Thanks
  • 4,976 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 11:45 AM

Good advice. I am very guilty of this!

I glanced my axe of a piece of wood and scrapped my leg. Just a flesh wound I told little girl. She is weird about people getting hurt. She freaks out. So I ignored it. I looked at it 3 days later when my sock was hurting my leg. All green and oozing.

I did minor surgery with a utility knife and some peroxide. My wife got me some prescription antibiotic cream and it cleared up.
  • JRJ and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,637 Thanks
  • 8,520 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 01:08 PM

I moved this over to the safety forum.  Hope you don't mind.

I did something similar about a year and half ago.  I made a "T" Bar with a strap winch on it so I could put dead tractors on to my lift table.  I clamp it to the front of the table.  Well I forgot it was there and yep it got my shin.  Like you it hurt at first but eventually the pain became tolerable.  Well about 5-10 later I looked at it and sure enough it was swollen.  It took nearly 2 months for everything to return to normal.  So be careful and watch those low hanging items.

• JRJ said thank you

• Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 02:02 PM

We are not doctors so why not the the pros take care of it properly and have it healed in a shorter time.

#5 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 03:05 PM

God gave us shins so we can find trailer hitches in the dark (and in my case, whenever I forget it's on my truck, dark or not)
  • HDWildBill and KC9KAS have said thanks

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 05:08 PM

Ouch!  Man that sounds like it hurts. I've had a few self inflicted wounds over the years but never had one get infected to that point. 

• HDWildBill said thank you