#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 06:45 PM

Well, got 5" snow today and wanted to try the Speedex out. Started good, and out the door. Moved around in drive (cement) real good and went down sidewalk to door and made couple more passes by it on the grass for the dog to have room for Potty.  Never spun once. 16" ags and those Military chains I mentioned earlier worked great. Tractor is slow and I used 2nd gear most times. Foot pedal is OK to use for clutch/brake action.  BUT, the long reach blade lift is not so cool. I have a sore left shoulder and first few times of that were not good. I did wait till backing on the rest of times and was better. I have some weights right on the back to help lift easier. Would be bad w/out those on there. The blade has worn detent and doesn't stay straight, wanting to turn left when loaded. I didn't fix that, thought not so bad, but was wrong I guess.  Was able to fill it up pretty big and still keep moving.  I ran out of gas right away!  Thought I had filled, but forgot had big leak this fall and most drained. OOP!  Went out back and got out the W/horse big rig to do my drive, which is downhill and gravel. It worked well. Then I filled up the Speedex again to clean up and put away. Lots of work to run this rig. My age needs hydro and lifts to make it fun anymore. Proud of the outing tho for this old school tractor, it did well. Mama wouldn't come out and take my pix of using...durn!

• JRJ and TAHOE have said thanks

#2 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 06:58 PM

My age needs hydro and lifts to make it fun anymore.

Well said ! Hydraulic lifts are truely the "cats jammies" and hydro...a few years back I couldn't imagine having one, and now with two, a 782 and a 147, now I'm looking to convert my 128 into a 129 !!

• Delmar and JRJ have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 10:27 PM

The first tractor I had was a little JD and it had a foot pedal blade lift. It worked pretty well but I think it was only a 44" blade. Since then I've had hydraulic lift. 

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 16, 2014 - 08:25 PM

Bump!  ?     Trying this move out.  Didn't get those messages before, now get it I think?

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted January 16, 2014 - 08:36 PM

Sounds like the PK did what you asked. Does the lift need a helper spring?

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 07:41 AM

MH81, you asking Me?  That is a Speedex in my message. Other tractor this year is Wheelhorse D 180.   Last year had blade on newer Plastic King, but not this year. PK's don't need extra spring, have hydraulics on any I've had. Never tried a manual lift.