Chevy Equinox

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,047 Thanks
  • 4,977 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 06:43 PM

Since starting this new job I've put a 1000 miles on my truck. It usually takes me 3 months to reach 1000 miles. It needs replaced as soon as possible.

I don't want to spend a lot of cash but I want a decent vehicle. I test drove a 2010 Chevy equinox lt awd. Pretty nice machine. But of a soccer mom car but it fits the bill. Under 10k. Awd. Mid 20 mileage and seats 5.

Any of you have experience with these vehicles?

They offered me 6 for my 2004 ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 and leaves me banking 4500 difference. Easy deal. But looking for some first hand experience.
  • A.C.T. and JRJ have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,496 Thanks
  • 6,369 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 06:54 PM

I have a '13 GMC Terrain, supposed to be same rig. Mine does NOT have AWD. I have driveway that runs uphill quite steep and haven't really had to run it in snow yet. Think with front wheel drive it will be fine. I do have Traction control or ? and think that should help. It snowed last night and wife went up the road and parked in back drive, worried she wouldn't make it up front un-plowed and/or get back out for work today. She took my truck to work, ha!  Mine is only a 4 cyl. but has plenty of pep.  Gas mileage isn't real great, but not too bad.  Lots of gadgets on mine with dash monitor and heated seats and other goodies. Had to learn all over how to run even the wipers which are now on right side of col.  Shifter is on floor on mine. Digital dash and gauges too, kinda neat. Sets lots lower than a truck, which I usually have and that takes moment to get used to. Can't see around as well when in traffic, like when up high in truck. Pretty hard to give up a 4x4 truck, too bad you can't keep both!

• JRJ and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#3 bread320i OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 08:56 PM

A co-worker has one, and complains about its poor turning radius

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 09:15 PM

I own one and like it.  Ours is AWD which does bring the mileage down but on wintery days (like today) is good to have. I would recommend it.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,670 Thanks
  • 28,321 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 09:47 PM

Guy at work had one and absolutely despised the auto traction control. Said it would kick in and drop half the power to the engine at the worst times. They had it one year and nearly had three accidents on the big hill just outside of town. He blamed all three close calls on the traction control. They sold it for what they could get out of it while being honest about its handling.

I'm sure the AWD would be a big step in the right direction, just make sure you watch any automated control features until you get used to them.

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 09:58 PM

My daughter bought a 2010 new & hated it. Air went out right after the warranty expired, dealer wanted almost $2000. to fix. It had no power but she's a lead foot. She just bought the Traverse & likes it a lot.

#7 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,047 Thanks
  • 4,977 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 11:16 PM

Thanks for the input. Probably going to take it for another ride monday and see if I can sweeten the deal.

I thought it had decent power. For a midsized suv thing with a v6 it ran 20 to 70 pretty decent on the interstate ramp. There is a button to turn the traction control off. I am not a fan of traction control at all. My wifes kia forte has it. It works ok but most of the time if you are in a low traction situation its better to have it off. Plus I wont buy anything thats not 4x4 or awd. Too many hills to go up and I am a wimp anymore.

Only thing I hate is losing my towing capability. I should be able to still pull a small trailer.

I hate buying cars anymore. Now with traveling and the baby on the way I need a safer vehicle. Cant fit 2 kids in a regular cab ranger and the ram is well, not suited for kids.

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 14, 2013 - 11:17 PM.

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,328 Thanks
  • 8,681 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 11:27 PM

I have had two vehicles with AWD and one with traction control. TC sucks, comparatively. Nothing beats AWD on crappy roads except 4WD with a ton (literally) of weight, imo.

Have you considered other brands? The two AWD vehicles I owned were both station wagons. There wasn't as much room outback as an SUV, but they got mid-high 20's for mileage. The newer ones do even better. I put a total of 375,000 miles on those two cars, both bought used with over 50,000 miles on both before I got them. Reliability was about as good as it gets, imo.