#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 06:35 PM

Well, we finally got 5" overnight and today, and still misting some  yet.  I took the D-18 auto out for first try. I had the Speedex out front and it was work to run. The D has hydro, much better and lift for blade. Still needs to be a foot pedal tho to be real good. Well, moved out of garage, blade hits snow and tractor stops and spins!  OH! Oh! Already? Not even in the snow yet? Backed up and ran at it again and got outside. Never did spin again, kinda weird. Have chains on ag tires. Just a note that it DID spin again trying to back into garage once the front wheels hit the "bump" to come into garage the rears spun again. Kinda odd, like said.    Anyway pushed snow all around, going out into my yard between the house and garage that I clear for my dog and walking to house. I went slow and never had a problem, even with blade full of snow. Even making banks I could still push the whole bank back farther each time. One problem with this model is the fact it can't turn w'out  40 acres room. I have turning brakes and they don't seem to do the job, just slow me down, not let other wheel really assist turning. Not sure reason. Is nice to have the lever to turn the blade and not have to get off.  It quit on me once, just stopped running. Started right up and acted norm for awhile. I did run out of gas, dumb me thought I had filled for the season, guess not.  Acted up couple times after the  fill too. Not sure if dirt in carb or fuel system or float that sticks or what, but after few minutes was working OK again. SO, guess it will be good for next time and others looks like. Pushes slow like a tank and doesn't slip. Nice big wide blade too!  :thumbs:

P.S.  Momma wouldn't come out and take any pix on either machine......durn!

• MH81, Alc, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,336 Thanks
  • 28,645 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 07:26 PM

Well, if she won't take the pics, will she drive the tractor and you take the pics? :D

Glad to hear the D is doing what it should and you're happy. :thumbs:
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 07:45 PM

I think your 'got stuck' issues sounds like it happened when the rear end got light. How much weight do you have on the rear? Might need more.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#4 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 10:39 PM

Sounds like not enough weight to me too. Can you put fluid in the tires or add some wheel weights?

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 02:29 AM

yeah, no weights.  Blade is pretty heavy too. This is Big Heavy machine, wouldn't think it should need much more, but maybe it does. Seemed allright in this outing tho. I'll try again next snow and if problems, will look into something to put on it. I have 3pt and a rear blade, maybe should mount that?  But, can't fit in garage then with it all on, and would have to remove each time. Can do that, but just PIA and might be in way more than I like hanging out there.

#6 WH55 OFFLINE  

WH55
  • Member No: 34102
  • 48 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 12:12 PM

yeah, no weights.  Blade is pretty heavy too. This is Big Heavy machine, wouldn't think it should need much more, but maybe it does. Seemed allright in this outing tho. I'll try again next snow and if problems, will look into something to put on it. I have 3pt and a rear blade, maybe should mount that?  But, can't fit in garage then with it all on, and would have to remove each time. Can do that, but just PIA and might be in way more than I like hanging out there.

I don't know much about hooking up things on 3pt hitches, but what about fixing up a weight box of some sort that will fit in the garage and maybe help balance the machine better. I suspect your turning brake issue will improve with better balance, too. Just a suggestion.

Dave

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 12:40 PM

Dave brings up a good point, the turning brakes aren't doing the job because there isn't enough weight there.

I vote for liquid in the tires! :D :thumbs: