16 replies to this topic

#1 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 02:08 PM

Tried to Start my Kubota z482 in my bolens 1256  And it didn't want to go this morning its I put a newer battery in it before winter and It was on the trickle charger last night.. its only was -15 to -20c last night Didn't even try to start no smoke it was Barely rolling over would almost stop on the compression stroke.. it has Good glow plugs and I priced out a newer reduction stater at $300 so that's not an option at the moment its like $40 bucks for a Block heater will that Fix my problem?

#2 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 05:12 PM

Hmmm....how 'big' is your battery?  You need one with a real healthy CCA rating for a diesel in cold weather.

A block heater wouldn't hurt though.

#3 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 05:27 PM

Its from a Honda civic its about 500cca and its a Healthy battery

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 05:59 PM

Those were Minus temps?  Brrrrr!  Wouldn't think anything would start w/out some heating or ?.  I use those magnetic block heaters, but usually put on a oil pan if you have one on these. Otherwise, right on side of case, low where oil is. Even then in those temps, you might need a good heating brooder type bulb lamp if they still make them to help. 500cc isn't that big of battery really, but would think OK for these little diesels?   Bigger tractors have TWO big batteries, but they have lots more engine to crank of course.

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 08:10 PM

That is way too cold for an older diesel. It needs heat. Magnetic block heater and a heat lamp would be necessary. You might consider working out some tarp/cover/lamp arrangement if you're going to use it at those temps.

I need to run my glow plugs on my Mitsu 2 cylinder for at least 30 seconds twice (if it's not plugged in) before it will fire sitting in a heated garage at 40°(F). I always plug my block heater in if I know it is going to get used, at least 15 minutes before I start it. Then I still use the glow plugs for 15 seconds.

#6 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 09:21 PM

Block heater is going to help for sure, and on these nice cold

mornings boost it too. If the battery terminals are a pita to get at,

maybe you could fasten some leads to the posts, and dangle them down

somewhere where they are accessible. Of course, protect the + from shorting.

#7 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 09:35 PM

Tried boosting it.. Can't get it rolling over fast enough to start.. Looks like I am calling the Kubota dealer asking about a Block heater For now will a battery blanket rapped around the oil pan make enough heat To warm the oil and get some heat into it?

#8 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 11:26 PM

I think the block heater would solve your problem. I had to put one on my Nissan p/u last winter because at -20F the oil pump wouldn't pick up the oil because the pump is at the front of the engine and the sump pickup tube is at the rear. Problem solved. For now a 150w floodlite set close to and shining directly on the bottom of the oil pan would certainly help along w/ a heavy blanket or sleeping bag draped over the hood to help retain the heat.

Mike

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 12:01 AM

I'm just going through this same thing. They don't make a soft plug heater for this engine and a lower hose heater is out of the question. What I ended up doing is taking a 3/4" pipe coupler and turning down the OD  of one end to match the ID of a soft plug hole. Screwed a 3/4" nipple into the machined end to reinforce and cut it off flush with the end of the nipple. After removing the soft plug and scuffing the hole and cleaning it I coated the end of the coupler and the inside of the hole with JB weld and glued the coupler into the hole. Keep the area warm for at least 24 hours and 48 would be better. Screw a 400 watt 3/4" coolant heater into the couple.  Then refill the cooling system. It only takes about 45 minutes to warm the engine nicely and it starts up like it's summer. 

• sacsr said thank you

#10 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 12:44 AM

I'm just going through this same thing. They don't make a soft plug heater for this engine and a lower hose heater is out of the question. What I ended up doing is taking a 3/4" pipe coupler and turning down the OD  of one end to match the ID of a soft plug hole. Screwed a 3/4" nipple into the machined end to reinforce and cut it off flush with the end of the nipple. After removing the soft plug and scuffing the hole and cleaning it I coated the end of the coupler and the inside of the hole with JB weld and glued the coupler into the hole. Keep the area warm for at least 24 hours and 48 would be better. Screw a 400 watt 3/4" coolant heater into the couple.  Then refill the cooling system. It only takes about 45 minutes to warm the engine nicely and it starts up like it's summer. 

They do! look what I found on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/...p2047675.l2557

gonna call the dealer monday there is also a Zero start unit but its like $60

Edited by 8tyman8, December 15, 2013 - 12:44 AM.

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 09:32 PM

If you can use that I will sell you one cheaper. I have no use for it as the cylinder walls on the D950 engine are right behind the freeze plugs. I'll beat any price you can find. This is 400 watts and 30mm diameter. It's a Katz and I can get you the part number tomorrow as it is still in the unopened box. You had better be sure the one on flea bay will fit your particular engine for sure.

Edited by Cvans, December 15, 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#12 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 05:51 PM

This one goes in the back of the Cylinder head.. And that would be Awesome Pm me..

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 06:20 PM

And that would be Awesome Pm me..

OK Later this evening.

#14 Curtludwig OFFLINE  

Curtludwig
  • Member No: 31749
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 10:07 AM

What oil are you using? Something like 15w40 conventional oil will be all but solid at those temps. I've been driving diesel cars for the last 10 years (mostly Mercedes, 5 different ones from 1978-1985, now a '98 VW TDI) and oil choice makes a big difference in cold starts. Synthetic is pretty much required.

My Jetta is using Car Quest brand 5w40 synthetic right now. In a tractor I'd probably switch to something heavier in the summer time but for cold temps it'd be hard to beat. In my '83 Mercedes when I didn't have anywhere to plug in I used to use Mobil 1 0w40 when it was very cold. Stuff poured like water but that car would start even when it was really cold.

My Cub Cadet 70 gets Mobil 1 15w50 because it needs the extra thick to make compression. That stuff is thick when cold but still a lot thinner than conventional 15w40. Play with the synthetic oils and you'll probably be surprised by what you find...

#15 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 03:46 PM

I must be blessed... it was about -2*F (-19*C) this morning, I kicked on the glow plugs for 30 seconds and the Kubota (Z500) fired immediately. Battery = 550cca, Oil = Rotella 15w40.

Edited by twostep, January 25, 2014 - 03:51 PM.

• Cvans and Curtludwig have said thanks