Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 11:07 AM

That is a really nice setup there Mrgreen! If it were me, especially since you can't angle the blade attached to the loader arms, I'd make some short side panels for the blade. Possibly just pin on so they'd be easy to remove if need be. Make it like a mini version of the snow pusher box blades they put on end loaders and skid steers so you wouldn't have snow trails to chase around...

I'm with ya...it's on the project list.  When I'm in a hurry, and no one is watching (haha), I flat-out FLY with the blade, with no concern for the snowtrails, then fly through it a second time to 'clean up' with the Sweepster.  For any snow under 3", I go straight to the broom, but that loader is tough NOT to play with  :thumbs:   I'd actually like to try my hand at fabrication, and use the tractor's auxiliary hydraulics (4 ports up front), and make wings for the blade that are adjustable from the seat.  The angle blades for FEL's are neat, but they stick waaaaay out front, and this is a nice, compact package that parks easy, and doesn't take up all my shop space.  It needs a little more weight on the rear, and I have a fabbed mount coming that will hold my Simplicity 50# suitcase weights, and slide right into my 2" receiver on the A-frame.

I actually broke out one of the blowers yesterday as well...I ran the trails in the woodlot, but it was slow going due to all the limbs we have down.  Kinda a clean up day out back.  I don't know why I get the itch to run the blower each year...I really don't care for using one at all, and each time I give it a try, I agree with myself again  :wallbanging:

• MH81 said thank you

#32 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 11:09 AM

Ooohhhh...hydraulic, adjustable wings would just be awesome!
  • Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#33 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 12:30 PM

Was reading thru here and wondering how a head mount camera would be better?  Wouldn't it just be bounding all around and be hard for veiwers to follow? You know you are looking all over and turning your head and tilting it at same time and such. I hate watching videos that the taker is moving around so fast you get dizzy and is hard to watch. Would think chest mount moves abit too, but head would be all over the place. Correct my thinking if you can? 

#34 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 12:59 PM

Was reading thru here and wondering how a head mount camera would be better?  Wouldn't it just be bounding all around and be hard for veiwers to follow? You know you are looking all over and turning your head and tilting it at same time and such. I hate watching videos that the taker is moving around so fast you get dizzy and is hard to watch. Would think chest mount moves abit too, but head would be all over the place. Correct my thinking if you can? 

I'm open to critique...post #1 has two chest-mount video clips, and in my opinion, the camera is just too low to get a good view of the action. 

Post #19 is a head mount, and it does bound around a bit, but I don't think it does so more than the chest mount.  I like the view better, and I especially like the ability to 'aim' the camera.  I can lean out a bit, to get a better view of the implement, look down to show operator controls, and look back when going into reverse to show the back-up and surrounding obstacles.  This mount is very much subject to the operator making a point of NOT having their head on a swivel.  I've seen the youtube video's that will make you car-sick, while trying to watch them.  You just want to yell at the screen..."Hold STILL!!"

Post #23 is a side-mount, onto the tractor itself.  That one is subject to more of the machines vibration, and it's tough to get the cam in a spot where folks can see the big picture.

Post #29 has 2 clips where the cam is mounted to stationary objects...no issues with movement or vibration, but with the wide angle lens, by the time I get to the end of the driveway, the tractor is a small dot on the screen.

I'd love to hear folks input on each of the mounting types.  The one I haven't done yet, that I want to do, is mount to the tractor, facing the operator.  Certainly wouldn't make for a 15 minute video, but would be a neat perspective of how an operator is working the machine.  Heck, a 'look in the mirror' would be eye opening for me, I'm sure.  I already notice things in I am doing with my hands, etc, in the clips posted, that you'd never think about while working.

I'm open to suggestions!!  Thanks for the feedback! :thumbs:

#35 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 08:37 PM

Had some nice Sweepster seat time today....more tomorrow, I'm sure!

#36 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 06:29 AM

I'm open to suggestions!!  Thanks for the feedback! :thumbs:

Honestly, they each have their pros and cons. The head mounted one is much less wobbly than I thought it would be and gives a birds eye view, but the stationary one give a view of the machine and operator and allows you to see the machine working as a unit.

I think the task being done would determine a lot of where you want the camera. I know when I'm plowing dirt, I tend to look behind me a lot to make sure all is good... Which would give a viewer vertigo. Probably the best setup for rear mounted equipment would be a forward and rearward camera in split screen, but that might be cost prohibitive and editing software to boot.

I like all the views you have done and hope someday to have one of those camera to play with myself.

I guess the best camera view is the one you are willing to take and share with us.

#37 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 08:38 AM

Easy solution to all this.  You just need to get two or three more video cameras.

Mount one on the head, one on the chest, one on the tractor looking front, one on the tractor looking back, and one stationary from the garage.

The Super Bowl won't have anything on you as far as camera angles.

#38 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 09:07 AM

Haha...yeah, Id have to sell the tractors to afford the A/V equipment!

Thanks for the feedback! Clearing the drive takes 7-15 mins depending on tractor and type of snow. It quickly becomes a half hour ordeal when setting up cameras, but its fun. I would like to shoot multiple angles and edit/merge them into one video. But then, I need laptop time to edit. We'll see.

#39 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 05:16 PM

Pushed about 6" this morning with the Legacy loader ...have that much to go out and move again, and they say another half foot over nite.  Then, tomorrow the Lake Effect kicks in with the big cold, and we should see another 10" through Tuesday Nite.  I actually may have to run a blower and toss some of this stuff.  The banks are about as tall as I can get them with the FEL/blade...helps block the drifts, I suppose!

https://www.youtube....h?v=9wwVvr6kEuc