Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 01:17 PM

Bear with me, as I try to get the hang of video.  Trying a new camera my wife got me for my birthday, while tackling my daily snow removal play time chores. Camera mounting needs some work (low and a bit shaky), but the video clarity is good, and I think it's a neat perspective. These are a little lengthy, and this morning's snow wasn't that impressive, but I still tell my wife "I don't konw if we can get out of the drive until I clear it" icon_Smile_wink.gif

It sure was a chilly morning, and the hydro's took a bit to warm up.

HB-112 with the Sweepster
http://youtu.be/CgxZMM-t7YE

Legacy with the 6' blade on the FEL..this thing's a blast icon_Smile_cool.gif
http://youtu.be/Iv0xE4mZeyE

• daytime dave, MH81, KennyP and 16 others have said thanks

#2 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 03:17 PM

Great video's!!! Is your shop heated?

• JRJ said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the video. That looks like fun. 

• JRJ said thank you

#4 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 03:28 PM

It was good to see another HB-112 earning its keep. Mine is sitting in the garage with chains & a blade on it, waiting for the snow. I'd never thought of using a rotating broom to clear snow, likely because I don't own one.  

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, December 14, 2013 - 03:29 PM.

• JRJ said thank you

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 06:09 PM

Snow Brush seems like the way to go. Cleans down to surface real nice. With the little snows we seem to get anymore, that seems like the right way. Wondering if the wet snow collects out on bristles and becomes ice and stuck on good and reduces any sweep action?  Would think spinning and banging on ground would knock off anything, but not sure. No shoot on those? just one big wide flow off the top of unit?  Not sure what the loader model is, but should have gotten a shot of that first. Looks like a real nice new rig.

Forgot to say,  sure is a Quiet rig for sure. I like Quiet!

Edited by glgrumpy, December 14, 2013 - 06:10 PM.

#6 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 10:39 PM

The broom has become my favorite, but it is limited when snow gets deep, as it tends to windrow the snow, vs throwing it up an dover banks like a blower.  But, it gets the drive much cleaner than even a blade.  Today I had lots of that hardpack from driving over the snow, and so I was going a bit slow as the bristles will hog that down, and if you sit on it, will grind pure ice away even.  Nothing builds up on the bristles or inside the hood.  They keep themselves clear nicely.

The loader rig is powered by 25hp Command...it's super quiet and I love it!  I can plow out the driveway before work, at 6am, and noone inside so much as stirs.  That blade has a 1.5" thick rubber cutting edge, so it's more like a squeegee than a blade.  It's completely silent on the ashphalt.  Best combo for big snows, is to push the snow, then run a fast sweep to clean up.  Total time for that combo, when I really mean business, is probably around 15 minutes, for snow in the 8-15" range. 

I need to work on the videography a bit...the camera was mounted on my chest, and I need it on my head for stability and a better view.  I'll video a walk around of the machines here in the near future as I get my video legs. :rocker2:

• daytime dave and mowinman2 have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 01:57 AM

Very nice machines and video. I think you did great.

BTW, what kind of camera is that?

#8 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 07:14 AM

My wife got me a GoPro for my Bday this past week.  I've been wanting one, for various things, especially since our little one is now getting old enough to play and work a bit with dad.  I can foresee some real need video clips.  I can't imagine how cool it would be to have some clips of myself as a youngster, plowing snow with Dad, or having deer camp secrets whispered to me while sitting in a brush blind in the snow. 

The camera simply amazes me...I need to get it head-mounted though.  It was a bit low and floppy on my chest...I made up a makeshift mount from zip ties for the test run.  I'm also tinkering in Windows Movie Maker now, to try my hand at some very primitive editing.  These clips were a bit long for youtube and forum use, IMO.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 07:43 AM

I think they were fine, and watched them both with enjoyment... But then all your other youtube friends might wonder why you need to have a dash cam on your tractors... They possibly don't realize how many insurance fraud attempts with people throwing themselves in front of sweepsters there are :D

Ps, there are a couple of good, free editors out there if movie maker gives you no love.
  • KennyP said thank you

#10 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 08:46 AM

Great job on the videos, enjoyed both of them. It makes you want to plow for the neighbors too. Thanks for sharing.

#11 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 09:11 AM

Pretty good videos.

That HB112 looks nice with that broom.

What brand/model of camera did you get?

#12 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 11:23 AM

The cam is the Hero3 Black.  Super easy to setup and use, and with the smartphone app, I can use my phone as a real time viewer, as well as access all inputs and controls.  What I would have given for something like this a decade ago!

• KennyP and TAHOE have said thanks

#13 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 06:31 PM

I am just renewing through ATT. The phone I really want has a crappy camera, the phone with the great camera is a little too big for my pocket :wallbanging:

#14 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 09:33 PM

I dunno, I thought the video was pretty good.  One hand on the wheel and one hand on the hydro.  

I think it was just fine the way it was.

Nice house and shop.  Very nice collection.  Thank you for sharing it with us.

#15 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5587
  • 195 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 11:37 PM

Love the videos Josh.  I didnt know you had that nice new Legacy.  When do we get to see that diesel in action?  Maybe hook a blower on it and have a full snow removal team.  Your collection looks awesome as ever.  I would have never guessed that broom would do such a nice job.  Im really impressed.  We offered them for rent, with skid-steers at the CAT dealer I worked at.  Of course, they were sweeping dirt out of parking lots, not snow since we dont get any.  Snow removal with a broom never crossed my mind.  Thanks for the vids.  Cant wait to see them when its head mounted.