10 replies to this topic

#1 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7818
  • 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 08:25 AM

I have always loved to push snow with a front blade . I even built a few rear blades over the years. A couple of them were built from a old barrell but were still great fun in the snow. I usually used 1/4 inch steel and had a curve put in it at the steel store. One of the blades I welded folding wings for pushing or pulling large amounts of snow. The blade in the trailer picture is the blade I built and never used and converted it to a front bucket for my mini loader. The blade with the wings I welded on quick hitch brackets to easily fit on my jd 5400 loader arms. I even built a 4x4 VW beetle and made a front blade for it to plow snow. The 4020 blade project I added five inches to each end. The mini 9630 blade I built up the spill guard to look like a silage blade. The blade on the jd 455 is the one I made and now am using on my walk behind snowplow.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaablade1.jpg
  • aaablade3.jpg
  • aaablade4.jpg
  • aaablade9.jpg
  • aaablade10.jpg
  • aaablade11.jpg
  • aaablade8.jpg
  • aaablade7.jpg
  • aaablade6.jpg

• Gtractor, Alc, gopher and 8 others have said thanks

#2 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 08:56 AM

Those are some really neat projects! I need to come take some fabrication lessons from you!
  • Don Campbell and JRJ have said thanks

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 08:56 AM

That's some good looking blades. You sure have a way of building them as needed. I bet the VW was a lot of fun.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 08:59 AM

That's quite a variety of snow removal equipment over the years. Did you do snow removal as a business? 

#5 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 10:43 AM

Looks Good!

• Don Campbell said thank you

#6 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 11:37 AM

Very good looking snow removal equipment.

An what kind of plow was made for the 'Vette? :poke:

#7 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 12:49 PM

Thanks ,

Half of the blades I built  to use when we lived in the country and just fun little projects, but the jd 1050 and the jd 5400 projects were when I started a small snowplowing business when we moved into town. The 4x4 vw was a crazy project , I always was always building crazy things but my wife never left me. The 4x4 VW was one of those projects, ha,ha.

I did see a few 4x4 Corvettes at the sand dunes and thought several times of finding a cheap wrecked Vette to convert.

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#8 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 12:53 PM

Here is another one of those projects my wife wondered if she made a mistake marrying me. I told her I wanted to buy a 1959 VW truck and cut three feet out of the middle of it and make it look like a mini semi with chrome stacks and west coast style mirrors and flared fenders.

Attached Thumbnails

• vwtruckrestoration3.jpg
  • VWtruck1959shorty.jpg
  • vwtruck1959shorty3.jpg

• gopher, sacsr, PappyH and 2 others have said thanks

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 07:23 PM

Cool Stuff!  Ever make the Wife something?   You're one of those guys that not only Dreams up the stuff, but then goes out and Makes them!  I just do the dreaming part most times, myself. I could do more with bigger shop and the right metal tools, all which I don't really have. That is one cool VW Semi. Does it wheely all the time if not careful? 

#10 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 11:43 PM

Very nice projects you built.

For me what looks good on paper, don't turn out as good when finished.

#11 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 09:34 AM

My wife is so good about anything I want to buy , she is just a super nice person . I try to give her money every week to go buy something special and she is just so content.

Most of my projects are built from ideas from other people , I just tweek them a bit. So hopefully some of you will get a idea or two from one of my projects someday.

Trust me, I have no idea how a project is going to turn out when I start. That is why it is rare i take any early pictures of any projects. My next project I want to make is a garden tractor with tracks. I have saved dozens of pictures over the years of so many cool tracked projects. My mind just spins when I get to thinking about it and I tell Deb about it and she says ok. I will probably buy garden tractor no. 10 this winter for a tracked project for my spring project. I still have no exact ideas I'd like over 18 hp and a twin engine, sometimes I just start and see what happens and then I make adjustments . I think a track project is going to be one of those that I won't take any pics for a long time . I have many of my own ideas so I doubt I would show any pics until it was all roughed in and I took it for a few test drives.