• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted December 13, 2013 - 11:46 PM

Hi Guys, this is a little reminder. I went out to get my skid steer ready for the big dump tomorrow and it was a no go. what a pain, first i kill the battery, recharge, kill it again, wanted to start, it did a lot of farting and coughing, then it dawned on  me, when i filled up about a month ago had they switched to winter fuel? I would of assumed so, anyways i dipped the tank, seemed kind of thick and sticky, summer fuel, rats. run out get 2 bottles of winter fuel conditioner, pop them in wait 3 hours, and after a little cranking away we go, so save yourself a head acke, make sure your getting winter diesel and add a conditioner, happy plowing farmer john

• Alc, KennyP, JDBrian and 9 others have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 09:10 AM

Thanks for the reminder. I think the fuel in my 2320 is summer fuel. It's been treated but I'll go out and make sure it runs today. I'll top up with fuel I bought last week and add some conditioner. We are expecting a Nor easter tomorrow. 20-30cm and maybe a bit of rain on top of that then it'll freeze up again. Should be interesting. 

• farmer john and JRJ have said thanks

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 11:23 AM

I haven't tried this but I understand that you can pour some Kerosene into the fuel to thin it down and it won't hurt anything. I been caught in your situation a couple of time and wished I'd know this.                      

• farmer john said thank you

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 11:30 AM

I haven't tried this but I understand that you can pour some Kerosene into the fuel to thin it down and it won't hurt anything. I been caught in your situation a couple of time and wished I'd know this.                      

Definitely kerosene helps a lot, but good additives are still better.  no more than 1/4 kerosene to 3/4 diesel.  Kerosene has less lubricity than diesel, so really best to use both some kerosene AND an additive.

• KennyP and farmer john have said thanks

#5 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 12:18 PM

thanks i have heard of adding kerosene but was always worried to try it, i would not of thought the mix would be that high. anyways it might just be nice when your filling up at your local station that they tell you weather its summer or winter fuel, at least then you can add a winter conditioner and not be stuck, today my baby started up great and i didn't have it plugged in either, happy holidays one and all farmer john

• KennyP said thank you