Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

It Hasn't Snowed Yet, And I Already Hate It!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 13, 2013 - 09:57 PM

Like everybody else in the northeast, I am getting ready for this storm. Compared to some of you guys I am getting by lucky with only 7-12 predicted. I really do not like any kind of snow, it gets in the way, makes a mess, and creates more challenges.

Many of you have seen my thread about the plow I am making wider for the '71 1614 PK, which still needs half painted by the way. That plow is what I planned on using this winter, but it seems as though the tractor needs a coil now! Yes, it's a bump in the road, but I figured that I would just use '75 1614 PK to plow, like I normally do. Between me going away, the cold, getting dark early, and whatever else I have not used that tractor in close to a month. One of the only weaknesses with the PK transmissions is that water can run right down the shifter, and into the housing. Apparently, this happened with mine as the gears in the rear tranny do not turn. It does not matter if it is in neutral or a gear, it just Boggs the engine down. I changed the oil in it last spring, and I thought I could make it to this spring without needing to change it... I guess not. So now I am down to the one I really did not want to use... The four wheeler. The clutch in it is worn out and needs to be changed pretty bad, so it does not do much without slipping. I figured it was my only option at this point, so I decided to put the plow on that. I got the plow on in almost record time, and I knew there would be a problem. It turns out that only 1 of the 4 U-bolts that hold the plow mount bracket to the frame was still there, and the plow would swing about 12 inches back and forth! I had to go to the hardware store, get new bolts, and them put them in... Which is not the easiest job. I finally have something set up to plow now, but that does not mean I want to have to plow!

It seems like everything waits until winter to break!
  • daytime dave, Gtractor, lyall and 3 others have said thanks

#2 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted December 13, 2013 - 10:18 PM

I'm not big on snow or winter or cold, but I like plowing it. Had all the GT's ready,all I had to do was put the plow on the truck. Calling for 4-8 here. Hope nothing breaks down. Glad you got at least one plow on. Any plow beats a shovel!!!!

• daytime dave, Ryan313 and JRJ have said thanks

#3 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted December 13, 2013 - 10:29 PM

It's already snowed here a few times and I don't mind it but makes me sad is that I'm not able to play in it since I'm at school. Well, at least not as much as I would like, I did do a donut or two and some powerslide with one of the JD ProGators at work lol.

As far as your tractor it sounds like any water that got into the transmission froze and that maybe why the gears won't turn. If you have a small space heater or something similar you could try covering part of the tractor or the whole tractor with a tarp and then put the heater under the tarp to try to thaw the ice.

Edited by farmerall, December 13, 2013 - 10:35 PM.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#4 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 13, 2013 - 10:30 PM

. Any plow beats a shovel!!!!

That was well put Levi.

I just hope my preparations in the good weather pay off in the bad.  Winter is a tough time to make on the spot repairs and adjustments.

• LTD and Ryan313 have said thanks

#5 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted December 13, 2013 - 11:26 PM

i agree you may have some frozen water in there. i would also suggest a heater magnet, they work great and you can place them where you need the most heat, they are not very expensive and can be had at most tsc and hardware stores

• Ryan313 said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 09:15 AM

Sorry to hear that Ryan. If the clutch is iffy on that ATV you had best plow a few times during the storm if possible. If the snow is deep and heavy you won't get far with a bad clutch. Those magnet heaters are great to thaw out something like that tranny. 

• Ryan313 and JRJ have said thanks

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 09:56 AM

I know that it will not be to hard to thaw out the tranny. I did not do it last night because I was not able to move it to the garage to work on it. So it was cold and dark. In the next couple days I am going to have to thaw that ice out.

Does anybody know how hard it is to change the clutch in something like this? It is a 2001 Suzuki king quad 300 and it is semi-automatic.

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 07:07 PM

It seems I forgot to update this with how plowing went with the four wheeler! It handled it alright, but much more and it would have likely been to much. I had to go down a range lower then I normally plow with it, but it worked out fine.

I decided to wait to drain the water out of the tranny in the '75 1614 PK, since I knew it would be warm out today. Well, second day of winter in NY and it was 64 degrees! So, I had no problem draining the old fluid out and putting new in. Now it works as it should.

• MH81 said thank you

#9 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 08:06 PM

Talk to this cat about getting the right shifter boot for your tranny.  Don't let the fact that his site is about crosley cars.  They use the same tranny and he carries the tractor variety (and services them)

http://servicemotors.net/about.php