8 replies to this topic

#1 truckintyler OFFLINE  

truckintyler
  • Member No: 41579
  • 90 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 06:13 PM

making a snowplow for a honda 3813 for a guy i know,

so its going to attach/pivot at the rear just ahead of the transaxle and it uses the deck lift  to lift the plow.

so whats the difference in a plow that mounts at front vs attaching under the rear? ive never plowed with a tractor so i wouldnt know, but my atv mounts at the rear and it plows just about anything.

pics will come soon.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,409 Thanks
  • 9,756 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 06:29 PM

The rear mount would be a little tougher, and it would not wear on the front end as much. Less stress. GT's that have a plow frame that attaches on the front only are built heavy enough to withstand the stress.

• JRJ and truckintyler have said thanks

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,962 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 09:12 PM

Most units with a dozer blade will either sport a blade that ties into the rear or the frame is designed to transfer the power from the drive into the plow.
  • truckintyler said thank you

#4 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,856 Thanks
  • 3,395 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 12:06 PM

Pushing from the rear equals better steering while pushing, but generally will push a little less( unless 4x4) and pushing off the front equals better rear traction, higher blade height , but less steering and usually better ground clearance too.
  • Talntedmrgreen, Newpaws493 and truckintyler have said thanks

#5 truckintyler OFFLINE  

truckintyler
  • 90 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 03:55 PM

ok so im finished.. took about 10 hours total,everthing is made from steel i had around the farm or lawn tractors that i stripped for parts long ago.

ill try and show how i made it with the pictures, wasnt all that difficult.

so heres how it mounts to the rear frame of the tractor, two 1" thick steel plates which i pulled from the steel pile and they already had holes in them :) . the two rods coming down are coming off the factory deck lift mechanism. works ok but its too far back so the blade is a little heavy to lift, so not for anyone with a sore shoulder. a craftsman/ayp body might work better as the lift for the deck is further ahead.

IMG_0899.JPG

this is the basic frame, just 1" square channel, not sure if it will hold up. but its a prototype for others i will make

IMG_0908.JPG

square channel at the rear of the plow bracket is where the 3/4" threaded rod runs through to the frame mounts.

pretty much the up and down pivot.

IMG_0910.JPG

this is the underside of the front of plow bracket just some more added strength and the side to side pivot bolt i welded in.

IMG_0909.JPG

these are the holes for the lock pins, just some 5/8" id pipe, thought this design would be strong.

IMG_0915.JPG

theres the plow attached and its easy to angle just pull the 1/2" bolt and select the angle and drop the bolt back in.

IMG_0918.JPG

here i was pushing the 1" of snow lol. thats all i have for now so i pushed an old cub cadet around with the brakes locked and even on ice it still didnt lose traction. its -16 here today.

IMG_0917.JPG

all ready to go, the guy its going to is planning on making a cab for it and since its liquid cooled it can be heated with a small heater core from princess auto.

IMG_0906.JPG

Edited by truckintyler, December 12, 2013 - 03:57 PM.

• KennyP and CRFarnsworth have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,895 Thanks
  • 44,624 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 07:13 PM

Looks like it should work fine!

#7 truckintyler OFFLINE  

truckintyler
  • 90 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 08:56 PM

I should have said, the plow blade was an old oil barrel, doubled up and I used the rim lock as the supports since they were already curved the same

#8 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,962 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 10:48 PM

Looks like a well thought out design. One thing I don't see is any bracing in the front to keep the blade frame centered under the tractor. The two points in the rear will hold for a while, but he twisting will eventually cause (plow or tractor) frame to weaken.

Just a thought. Looking forward to the cab build too. :D

#9 truckintyler OFFLINE  

truckintyler
  • 90 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 11:02 PM

sorry there is a side limiting bracket forgot to take a picture, pretty much attaches where the front of the deck would have attached to,  is kind of a U-shape to keep it from moving side to side,

i wont be building the cab, but ill ask him for pictures if he does.

Edited by truckintyler, December 12, 2013 - 11:11 PM.

• MH81 said thank you