• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 05:00 PM

Been reading past posts and started going bug-eyed from the info.  So forgive me if this has been asked a few hundred times.

I have a Snapper 1855A.  The tires on it are 26-12-12.  I want to put new tires on it as the ones on it are pretty weather checked/cracked, traction is pretty much non-exhistant.  I'm wanting to use this as winter - snow blowing, spring - plow/disk my garden.  I figure a good ag tire, with chains for winter.  My Allis is too big for my garden.... LOL

What would ya'll suggest, size - brand?  I don't like chinese made crap, prefer american or european.  Also wanting tri-rib on front.  WIll I need to replace the rims, front and back?  Taller/narrower tires on the rear?

• JRJ said thank you

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 05:08 PM

The stock rims are fine. Firestone makes both of the types of tires that you listed.

23_1050_12_Flotation_23_lug__18339.13342

16_650_8_3_rib_front_white__14133.135178

• JRJ said thank you

#3 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 06:40 PM

Thanks, I'll check those out.  I've looked at good year online today.

• JRJ said thank you

#4 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 06:41 PM

There's a world of difference between soft dirt in the garden in summer and hard packed snow in the driveway in the dead of winter. Ags work best when the lugs penetrate the ground to work as paddles. They don't penetrate hardpack. For that, turfs and chains give superior traction.

Since my heavy tractors work a higher percentage of hours at snow removal than all summer tasks combined, the loaded turfs and chains stay on 12 months a year. If you do a lot of gardening and can only afford one set of tires, ags or ATV tires would be the better choice.

• MH81, IamSherwood and JRJ have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 07:10 PM

Thanks, I'll check those out.  I've looked at good year online today.

Even name brand tires for the States are often made overseas. As a matter of fact, I would be surprised if you will find many choices in the sizes you're asking about with the Made it the USA stamp on them.

Wherever you get them, best to ask and double check. Just my $.02

Also, in my opinion, you might want to watch for another set of usable rims and put the turfs on them with chains for winter use.
  • JRJ and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 11:09 PM

I like the firestone tires, but now ya'll got me ta thunk'n... ouch...

Go ahead and fill the turf tires with fluid, put chains on and use for a winter machine.  I still need to find some sort of a cab for it, the way the snow blows here I end up with half of it on my face.  I've seen suggested winshield washer fluid and RV anti-freeze.  I'm along the line, when I do this, I want it to be environment friendly, in case the tires leak.  The tires are rated at 10 PSI, with fluid in them, should I still run that much, or maybe stay around 5-6 PSI so the tread runs flatter?

Now I must ask, do ya'll think when I put chains on, will they carve up my garage floor?  This thing will not start if left outside, already found that out the hard way.  So I must keep it in a heated garage if I am to use her.

Maybe pick up a spare set of rims and put those tires on them to use on my GT6000 (sears)?  It's a 26 horse, might pull a plow/disk easier with the additional power?  Which GT ya thunk would do the task better/easier?  From what I'm see'n, sleeve hitch accessories are easier to come by?

I'm also trying to think of a way to build a log splitter that would connect via the 3-point on the snapper.  Maybe run an external hydraulic pump off the rear PTO?  I can get most the parts/iron/hyd. cyl. I need off an abandoned International disk I can get my hands on.

#7 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 11:53 PM

I suggest Rim Guard for loading the tires, if it's available to you. Otherwise, plumbing antifreeze is the least offensive. I run my loaded and chained tires at max pressure. The tread is flat where it contacts the ground.

The chains won't tear up the garage floor, but they might rust stain the concrete.

I kept mine outside with the hood covered with a mover's blanket and a 60W trouble light in the engine bay. On really cold days (-20°), anotherr 10 minutes with the electric heat gun usually got it going.

If you have enough ballast, the transmission might have to produce as much as 6 or 7 hp before the rear wheels break traction. My MF1655 with a Sundstrand hydro breaks traction anytime that I get careless at 2/3 throttle with 650 lb of ballast, even with the weight shift from the loader lifting the front tires off the ground.

I built a new PTO drive shaft that extends out behind the seat pan for the express purpose of driving my loader hydraulics. An extra valve set in that system operates the splitter.

cid_46762DE0-188C-4386-8978-BDE944896F44

Edited by TUDOR, December 12, 2013 - 12:00 AM.

#8 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 06:31 AM

Deestone tires

http://tires-usa.com/shop_list.php

we had the super lug on one of our jd 455

#9 Gav694 OFFLINE  

Gav694
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12653
  • 267 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 07:54 AM

Deestone tires

http://tires-usa.com/shop_list.php

we had the super lug on one of our jd 455

Thats a good link, I didn't think Goodyear still made tyres in the smaller sizes, I couldn't find any 6x12 Ag style ones over here but they have them for less than I paid for the Trelleborg ones that I bought.

The Trelleborg by the way have made in Indonesia moulded onto the bead of the tyre, I thought they were still made in Europe!  :wallbanging:  At least you can not see it once they are fitted.

#10 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 10:49 AM

You also might want to check out http://www.tires-eas...cart-tires.html

I just cross shopped them with tires-usa and while some prices were close, most were substantially cheaper with tires-easy when comparing the same ply-rating tire.  Shipping charges to here were a little cheaper with tires-easy but that would obviously vary depending on which warehouse you're closer to.

I don't like chinese made crap, prefer american or european.

Even name brand tires for the States are often made overseas. As a matter of fact, I would be surprised if you will find many choices in the sizes you're asking about with the Made it the USA stamp on them.

This is very true.  Lawn and garden size tire manufacturing seems to be mostly located in Asia now.  Carlisle still has American plants but that's no guarantee that their tires won't come out of one of their Asian factories.  I will say, though, that the last set of Carlisle All-Trails I bought came from the former Titan Tire factory in Tennessee.

#11 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • Member No: 45112
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 06:47 PM

The stock rims are fine. Firestone makes both of the types of tires that you listed.

23_1050_12_Flotation_23_lug__18339.13342

16_650_8_3_rib_front_white__14133.135178

Do you have a recommended place to get these?  I didn't see them on either of the links listed here(tireeasy or tires-usa).

Thanks!

#12 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted December 13, 2013 - 11:13 AM

Do you have a recommended place to get these?  I didn't see them on either of the links listed here(tireeasy or tires-usa).

Thanks!

Do a web search for Miller Tire

• ENafziger said thank you

#13 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 13, 2013 - 01:07 PM

I'm running 5 rib tires on my front and love them.I pick them up from Miller tire.
  • ENafziger said thank you