Bolens Qt17 Not Running Well When Warm

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 deek50 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 51339
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 03:53 PM

I have a bolens qt17 with the kt17 kohler twin cylinder series II engine.  Runs good at start up but after 10-15 minutes starts to loose power, run choppy, especially under load. Replaced a head and gasket and has done this ever since.  Any help would be great.  Will really blow the snow when healthy!  thanks D

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,655 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 04:16 PM

Hi deek50, From what I read this started when you replaced the head and head gasket?  I'm not familiar with the kt17 but my guess would be a problem with the mating surface between the head and cylinder.  Some more knowledgeable folks will be along in a little while.  By the way welcome to GTtalk.

#3 bhts OFFLINE  

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,412 Thanks
  • 2,113 posts

Posted December 13, 2013 - 09:05 AM

Check your head bolts and make sure they are torqed correct. It could also be the coil breaking down after it runs a few mins and warms up.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#4 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,689 Thanks
  • 2,911 posts

Posted December 13, 2013 - 10:00 AM

Ditto what Bob said above.  I've struggled with the coil breaking down before on a Kohler.  It would fire and run great for a couple of minutes, then start to sputter and act like it was having carb issues.  I put in a new carb and spent a lot of time on it, but the problem didn't go away until I replaced the coil.