- - - - -

Air Compressor Safety

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

• Member No: 8367
  • 547 Thanks
  • 435 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 04:58 AM

Well, my air compressor tank sprung a leak on the bottom. Just a pinhole , and it was

tempting to try and patch it...  But, I guess I'll just start shopping for a new one. 

• HDWildBill, dodge trucker and Sawdust have said thanks

#17 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,322 Thanks
  • 4,917 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 10:20 AM

But, I guess I'll just start shopping for a new one. 

The safest idea for sure. Good luck in your search. 

• dodge trucker said thank you

• Member No: 8367
  • 547 Thanks
  • 435 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 06:41 PM

Has anyone here used the compressors made by Quincy?   I know little about them except they are

made in the US...which is a positive for me.

#19 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,399 Thanks
  • 1,861 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 07:00 PM

yeah Quincy is good.

I have tried to repair a couple of tanks in the past; and as soon as you fix 1 pinhole, another pops. after 6 or 8, I got tired of chasing pinholes. 

There was a thread I forget whether it was here or on MTF  but it told of one blowing up on a member or his Dad, and someone wound up hurt-bad-from it too.  

A guy I know a mile down the road had one blow It was about a 20 gallon portable with a small pump, his Dad had bought it in the 70s or 80s and knew the control liked to stick. "Just watch the gauge, when it gets to 100 PSI unplug it" 

Well one of the grandsons was over using it and forgot (or wasn't told?)  and was working in the garage and BOOM...

I saw the remnants, the whole bottom was blown out. When I seen it it had been sitting for ~ a year since, "yeah I need to get rid of that thing"

• Cvans said thank you

#20 trowel OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 07:56 PM

http://gardentractor...air +compressor

#21 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 09:21 AM

I know this was kind of an older thread, but came up recently for me. I have a couple old 60 gallon air tanks behind the shop that I picked up one place or another. They are questionable and I wouldn't use them for pressure anymore - I plan to convert 1 to a big smoker/grill and use them for metalwork projects.

Anyway, one of my neighbors wanted to buy one to replace his leaking tank - that he had already patched several times!!! No sale of course, I wouldn't feel good selling it knowing what he had planned....

Got me thinking. A quick looks shows NEW 60 gallon tanks are available for $300 - 800 or so. Careful search would probably lower that number. Not pocket change, but if you spread it over a tanks useful life, not that bad - versus buying a questionable tank that you have to replace (if your lucky...) a lot sooner. OR compared to the hospital bills and/or repair costs for when it blows up in your shop!

Tanks bigger than 35 gallon have to be tested/certified when new - should have max pressure and test date stamped/tagged on it somewhere. Many places require commercially used air tanks to be tested/recerted up to every 2 years. IF you want peace of mind, you may be able to get your tank hydro-tested, but not sure of the cost. I am a scuba diver and have to have my scuba tanks recerted regularly - price is not too bad for those...

Not that I necessarily recommend this, but you can even HYDRO-test your own tanks. You pressure test them with WATER, not air - if the tank fails, it is not as catastrophic... Instructions are available on the internet through a quick search!

I know we all try and save money where possible (more $$$ to buy tractors!!!!), but sometimes it is wiser to spend the money and do it right!
  • motobreeder, HDWildBill and toomanytoys84 have said thanks