Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Snow Blade For Gravel Driveways

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 05:29 PM

yes the pipe does try to slide.  so I drilled a couple holes and used a wire to hold it in place

attachicon.gifblade1.png

attachicon.gifblade3.png

attachicon.gifblade2.png

Now that's helpful.  I'm gonna have to try this when I get the chance.  I think I have a piece of 2" laying around that would work great.  The blade is pretty beefy so I may have to try a small piece first to see if I can get this to work.  Not too worried about my driveway as there isn't hardly any stone left on it.  My neighbor's driveway is another story.  He just got a few loads of stone this summer and I really don't want to scrape it all off.

• lyall said thank you

#17 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,288 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 06:41 PM

Now that's helpful.  I'm gonna have to try this when I get the chance.  I think I have a piece of 2" laying around that would work great.  The blade is pretty beefy so I may have to try a small piece first to see if I can get this to work.  Not too worried about my driveway as there isn't hardly any stone left on it.  My neighbor's driveway is another story.  He just got a few loads of stone this summer and I really don't want to scrape it all off.

But if you scrape it all off, you can go over and put it back this summer... Double the seat time.
  • lyall and David Brown have said thanks

#18 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 09:38 AM

Looking at the pics, how about if cutting on a table saw, instead of just running thourgh end to end, Slide end of tube a couple inches past saw blade blade and then drop it down on blade to create a closed end on each end of PVC so it can't slide off.

Well, thinking as I type, may not work as it would be almost impossible to flex pipe enough to slide up over a double the thickness cutting edge than the PVC slot. Ok, so maybe leave one end closed and wire so it would only slide on one way.

Just thinking out loud, may have to experiment myself.

• JD DANNELS and lyall have said thanks

#19 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 08:42 PM

How clean does the pipe and blade get the gravel?  I have a steep driveway, and if I leave any packed snow, I can't get my work van out. 

Currently, I scrape it as clean as I can, and salt the steep part.  My Cub Cadet 147 digs in a lot more than the Ford 80 I used last year.

#20 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 09:00 PM

Tahoe

thanks - I did not think about starting the cut a couple inches into the pipe

that is would I like about this site.  somebody starts an idea and others help along the way

bja105

from what I see that happens is the the pipe pushes the snow into the gravel and also helps push the gravel down too.

the more you drive on in the more it packs down.

you guys got me thinking  - after plowing the drive, why not use a lawn roller to really pack it snow and gravel. together.

I have sand in my roller, so I do not have to weary about it freezing and braking.

the only problem I can see is that it might turn to ice.  but if it is packed good the gravel should also be close to the top of the ice, so it should help driving on.  salt should also help get some of the gravel exposed . 

#21 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted December 13, 2013 - 01:16 PM

That's the problem I have when I scrape, the little bit of snow left even with the blade can get packed and turn to ice.

I have some packed snow/ice now from the snow we got on Tues I couldn't clean, I'm actually going to try to bust it up tomorrow morning with my scarifiers on my box blade.

#22 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 13, 2013 - 02:37 PM

Tahoe

thanks - I did not think about starting the cut a couple inches into the pipe

that is would I like about this site.  somebody starts an idea and others help along the way

bja105

from what I see that happens is the the pipe pushes the snow into the gravel and also helps push the gravel down too.

the more you drive on in the more it packs down.

you guys got me thinking  - after plowing the drive, why not use a lawn roller to really pack it snow and gravel. together.

I have sand in my roller, so I do not have to weary about it freezing and braking.

the only problem I can see is that it might turn to ice.  but if it is packed good the gravel should also be close to the top of the ice, so it should help driving on.  salt should also help get some of the gravel exposed . 

Don't worry about the ice Lyall!! It's going to melt Monday and Tuesday and You/We might have to wonder how to level out the ruts??

Winter is just one challenge after another!! :smilewink:

#23 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 13, 2013 - 02:41 PM

Looking at the pics, how about if cutting on a table saw, instead of just running thourgh end to end, Slide end of tube a couple inches past saw blade blade and then drop it down on blade to create a closed end on each end of PVC so it can't slide off.

Well, thinking as I type, may not work as it would be almost impossible to flex pipe enough to slide up over a double the thickness cutting edge than the PVC slot. Ok, so maybe leave one end closed and wire so it would only slide on one way.

Just thinking out loud, may have to experiment myself.

When cutting the pipe if not doing it like Lyall described you might try putting the blade in the saw backwards? Making for less chance the blade will catch and tear out a chunk of pipe and fling it. I have a Vinyl blade for my saw but not everyone uses one and Have turned the blade backwards before I got one installing vinyl siding. (note that is a lot thinner than the pipe).

• TAHOE said thank you

#24 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 08:18 AM

So picked up piece of 1 1/2" .Cut off end to length of blade. I decided against my idea of leaving solids piece on end. My luck, I would smack something and break it all apart, no overhang and slot  like I had suggested. Screwed to 2x4 and cut slot. Man a standard saw blade makes a mess, plan on sweeping up tons of plastic shavings.

photobucket-7547-1387025652340_zps36b087

photobucket-9704-1387025673006_zps3d4ef8

[IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/ASTRO95/Tractors/photobucket-10773-1photobucket-6268-1387025713411_zpsf3c5c7387025693380_zps014b6d84.jpg[/IMG]

EPIC FAIL.....

didn't look at my blade before doing this. My cutting edge is taller than the 1 1/2 so it wont' slide on top like I had hoped and I have support ribs all the way to bottom and also nuts sticking out the back from the cutting edge.

May work if I line it up, then cut slots for ribs and nuts and then slide from bottom up instead of trying to slide on long ways.

photobucket-7661-1387025772489_zpsa06897

photobucket-12100-1387025741264_zpsa1c03

Another Epic FAIL!

Here's the results of a no plowed, snow packed turned to ice gravel drive. I didn't have enough speed, tried to power up it and she snapped sideays on me. Tried to back down, but I was over too far already and it slid into snow bank even more. About 20 mins of digging, chipping, shoveling gravel, and a little tire smoking and I finally got it out.

photobucket-7175-1387025794356_zpscc0e60

• KennyP and bja105 have said thanks