Garden Tractor Forums banner

Finally Found A Bolens Chainsaw!

5K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  suburban 12 
#1 ·
After a few years of searching for a Bolens saw that was in decent shape and not missing alot of parts I finally was able to buy one.

This one is a 1957

Dont know if it runs or not, supposedly the seller was able to get it to fire with a shot of gas in the plug hole so we should see!

The plans are to fully restore her and have it to display with my other tractors at shows.

The saw is missing the air cleaner and spark plug shield but those shouldn't bee too hard to locate.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm glad you got it, and looks like it's in good shape. Hopefully it doesn't take a lot of work to get it running and it would be cool to see some pictures of one in use. I was bidding on it too but it sold for a lot more then I wanted to pay.

#4 ·
I think I may have solved the serial number system on these saws.... It appears the serial started with the first few digits of the model number. All saws I have been able to get the serial numbers from all had the first few numbers the same as the model number.

I wonder what other categories they could have done this to?

Attachments

#5 ·
I think I may have solved the serial number system on these saws.... It appears the serial started with the first few digits of the model number. All saws I have been able to get the serial numbers from all had the first few numbers the same as the model number.

I think your right about the serial number system. I just looked at mine and it's set up the same as yours.

Model 3011 01 Serial 301569

#6 ·

And after seeing this pic I finally realized what the fmc stands for. Awesome find, btw.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Neat find Brian.

Bolens sure made a lot of different products over the years.

Bob
Seeing more and more of what Bolens made is giving me a "BOLENS BUG" to want to start collecting. Now where am I gonna come up with the money? :wallbanging:

#9 ·
How big a bar is that thing carrying?

Did Bolens make it or did they rebadge another brand? Something smacks or a David Bradley saw, but maybe its just the engine. I don't claim to know much about old chainsaws.

Looks like a Power Products engine on there, it will run great once you get it cleaned up. Spark is half the grief of the ones I mess with, if you have spark you have saved yourself a lot of work!

Let me know if you need parts, I carry or can get a good percentage of PP parts.

Ben W.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
How big a bar is that thing carrying?

Did Bolens make it or did they rebadge another brand? Something smacks or a David Bradley saw, but maybe its just the engine. I don't claim to know much about old chainsaws.

Looks like a Power Products engine on there, it will run great once you get it cleaned up. Spark is half the grief of the ones I mess with, if you have spark you have saved yourself a lot of work!

Let me know if you need parts, I carry or can get a good percentage of PP parts.

Ben W.
The bar is a 20'' but could be furnished with up to a 26'' bar on this model according to the manual.

The engine's were made by Power Products

The rest of the saw was made by Bolens. Bolens had quite a few different models in their run from 1956-1962

The 1956 was the best looking of the bunch in my opinion and would like to find one of those as well.

Have the air cleaner for my saw? :D

#12 ·
Have the air cleaner for my saw? :D
That saw was a beast. I can imagine running a 26" bar with that kind of weight. Guys must have had more muscles back then I guess.

As long as the air filter is a Power Products, I might have one. What model and type did Bolens use? The model number is on the tag on the blower shroud, while the type is a 3-4 digit number followed by one letter stamped in any variety of places. If I know the model I can sometimes figure out where the type "should" be.

Ben W.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
That saw was a beast. I can imagine running a 26" bar with that kind of weight. Guys must have had more muscles back then I guess.

As long as the air filter is a Power Products, I might have one. What model and type did Bolens use? The model number is on the tag on the blower shroud, while the type is a 3-4 digit number followed by one letter stamped in any variety of places. If I know the model I can sometimes figure out where the type "should" be.

Ben W.
I'll get you the numbers in a day or so

Bolens made real mans saws back in the day :D

Funny thing is they were boasting this saw as "Light weight" at around 22 pounds :D

#14 ·
I'll get you the numbers in a day or so

Bolens made real mans saws back in the day :D

Funny thing is they were boasting this saw as "Light weight" at around 22 pounds :D
Bolens made real man everything back in the day. :thumbs:

I guess 22 pounds is lightweight. Standard saws were something like Clinton and Mall, two brands I am half way "familiar" with. The Mall I have is much more than 22 pounds even missing parts.

Ben W.

#15 ·
:ditto: I cut with my brother's old Homelite WIZ 66 that has a 30" bar on it and I was worn out in less then 30 minutes. Old saws are fun to use every once in a while but I wouldn't want to use one everyday.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Update:

It Runs!!!

Pulled the flywheel today and cleaned up the dirty points. The recoil is sticking a bit and may need some attention so I decided to just use a rope to start it. Found out that this engine operates counter clockwise!

Once I switched the direction of the pull rope she fired right up.

Once the weather breaks I'll give it some more attention

#23 ·
Good thing you're an admin, you should have no problem editing that post and adding pics..............
With the winds we had today I could barely feel my hands when I took it outside to run it....

Not much to see anyway as it looks the same as when I first got it :D

#24 ·
Congrats on getting it running, it'd be cool to see a video of it running. I traded my Bolens saw to my brother not long ago and he got it running. He had the same problem, dirty points and he had to mess with the recoil some.

#26 ·
I was looking on a sight that I go on to find information on almost every saw made, http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView. From looking, your saw more closely resembles the 3800, than the 3500, the shroud could have been replaced. I have to agree that these are very heavy saws, like my brother (Farmerall) said, he traded his "Swifty" to me and I got it running. It fits right in with my Homelite Super Wiz 66 and McCulloch 250 saws, and both are built just as sturdy. And from what I have been experiencing form running it, 16:1 seems to be a little heavy on the oil and would suggest running it with just a little less to cut down on the excess that gets sprayed out the muffler and onto the saw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.