jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 05:38 PM

I'm getting ready to start restoring the FMC Bean Cutler soon and I wanted to get my other Ridemasters posted on here before I start posting the FMC. ...

This summer I was able to pick up two other Ridemasters to go along with the one that I have already restored.
The first one was about 230 miles away in Illinois and when I told my wife I was interested in getting it she said " alright, roadtrip".

The tractor is an early model like the one we have with 18 inch drive wheels.
It has 3-attachments: A plow, a set of disc and a set of 6-cultivator tines.
I have a friend that has a Ridemaster without any attachments so he has already put dibs on the disc.
I'll keep the cultivator tines for this tractor and put the plow up for sale ( or trade ) to some one else that needs one.

This has the front "A" frame and all the parts for lifting front mounted attachments.
I'm probably going to put that whole lift package up for sale or trade also.

Here are the photos that he sent me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are some photos that my Sweety took of us loading the Ridemaster.
First a couple of photos of it sitting in the door way while I've gone to get the truck.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have an old hand winch that bolts to the front of the bed and I'm using that to pull it up the ramps.

Posted Image

She is up on the bed and I have to swing the winch out of the way so the tractor can set back farther.

Posted Image

Concentrating on getting the tractor squared up to the front of the bed.

Posted Image

All loaded and I can still close the tailgate.

Posted Image

This one looks good in the photos but it has some issues.
It doesn't run but it does turn over and has compression.
Some one has welded a crossbar on the front ( probably for a plow mount ) and torched part of the engine cradle for clearance for something ?
The drive pulley on the front axle has been broken and welded.
Also the front axle support that bolts to the top of the axle with the steering post on it has been broken and welded.
The tool bar has been welded on and there is a piece of channel steel welded to the back for a trailer hitch.

I will post photos and go into more detail on all this when I start to restore it.
The good news is that I've been in contact with a guy in Ohio that might have the parts that I need to replace all these parts.

............................................................................................

When we got home from our road trip to Illinois, there was a message on our answering machine from a guy down by Augusta, Michigan.
I had talked with him over a year ago about a Ridemaster that he had for sale. At the time he wanted more than I was willing to pay.
He wanted to know if I was still interested in it and offered it to me for about 1/3 of what he was asking.

Here it is. This one starts right up and runs and drives good. It does smoke some until it warms up so I will have to put a set of rings in it.

Posted Image

I backed the old truck up to that bank, set down my ramps and drove the tractor onto the back of the truck.
They were having a garage sale when we got there so Marie was busy and forgot to take photos of it being loaded.
It's probably just as well because it most likely would have scared her watching me back the tractor across the boards from the bank to the truck.
She did manage to get a photo of it all loaded.

Posted Image

When I bought this I thought it was a Type 35ABo2 Ridemaster that was built in 1949.
Once I got it home and started looking at it closer, I realized that it is actually a Type 35AB01 and was built in 1948 so that turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

My initial plans were to restore this tractor just like I'm doing with the other Ridemasters.
Most Ridemasters that you run across are really rusty or have been messed with in one way or another.
Often the engine has been changed or is missing completely or other parts are missing.
Or someone has welded on it or painted it John Deere colors.

This one is rough looking but it is complete and is still all original.
You can still see some of the decal on the gas tank and on the frame.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The steering wheel is in good condition and it has a unique spinner on it.

Posted Image

It has an authentic farmer equipped "tool box" attached to the seat.

Posted Image

It even has a maintenance record. It seams the oil was last changed in 1987.

Posted Image

I took the cultivator tines off and mounted up the spike harrow.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm seriously thinking of just cleaning it up and showing it just like it is.
One of the rear wheels is rotted out around the valve stem and will need to be repaired or replaced.
I was able to get a better set of used wheels with decent tires so I have since put them on it.

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 05:51 PM

Ray,

Great pieces!!
Would love to see some pictures of you heavy hauler.

Thanks, Brian
  • jdcrawler said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,201 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 06:27 PM

Thanks again for the amazing pictures Ray.

By the way how wide across are those back wheels... If I ever see one I want to make sure I can fit it on the trailer :D

I kind of think you should keep this one original.... they are only original once and this one looks decent as is.

#4 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 07:02 PM

Those are great photographs. Well written post too. If you get a chance, how about an article on the Ridemasters?
I think you are right to leave the all original, all original. Just my .02.

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 07:23 PM

Those are some really nice Ridemasters! Thanks for taking the time to take some pictures and for the well written post! I agree that the original look is good on one so nice as that last one! I do like the custom tool box on the first one (the old breaker panel) LOL. I'm sure that it served it's purpose! Keep us posted and we can't wait to see the walk through on the Bean Cutler too!

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 07:37 PM

Thanks for the pics... Perfect article for a winter's evening.

#7 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 08:28 PM

By the way how wide across are those back wheels... If I ever see one I want to make sure I can fit it on the trailer

No problem .. the rear wheel spacing is adjustable from 38 inch to 72 inch wide.
  • jim knutson said thank you

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,201 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 08:29 PM

No problem .. the rear wheel spacing is adjustable from 38 inch to 72 inch wide.

ok, Thanks

Can you also flip those wheels around to get even more/ less clearance?

#9 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 08:41 PM

ok, Thanks

Can you also flip those wheels around to get even more/ less clearance?

Yes you can.
By the way, there is one for sale in your area up in Canada.
Here is the link: Bolens Ridemaster Tractor 35AB03 - Ontario Farming Equipment For Sale - Kijiji Ontario Canada.

That's a good price for a Ridemaster that is in running condition with two implements.
It has the wrong rear wheels but that isn't really a problem.
The front wheels on the Farmall Cub are the exact same wheel that they used on the rear of the Ridemaster.
There are two good sets of Farmall Cub wheels on ebay right now.
They have the wrong tires but new tires are available for both the front and rear of the Ridemaster.

I have to assume that the original gas tank leaks because it has the extra tank on the engine.
At least the original gas tank is still there and it can hopefully be repaired.
If not, there is a guy that is in the process of making new gas tanks for the Ridemasters.
They are projected to sell for $100.

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,201 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 08:57 PM

I think I'll have to pass on that one. For one It is in Cananda and the second reason is I'm looking for a steal LOL

I'm kind of undecided what I want exactly.... I just know I need 1 more Bolens one of these days and its either going to be a ridemaster, ride-a-matic or gold 600. (basically which ever shows up first and is cheap LOL)

#11 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,205 Thanks
  • 5,216 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 09:42 PM

Ray nice post I may of seen them befor but I like reading it all over again.

Are the rims in the back of the truck that I picked up for you going to be used on the FMC?

I hope I can get the ridemaster plow you sold me out and plow with it this summer. :thumbs:

#12 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,205 Thanks
  • 5,216 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 09:48 PM

I think I'll have to pass on that one. For one It is in Cananda and the second reason is I'm looking for a steal LOL

I'm kind of undecided what I want exactly.... I just know I need 1 more Bolens one of these days and its either going to be a ridemaster, ride-a-matic or gold 600. (basically which ever shows up first and is cheap LOL)

What no large frame.

#13 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 06:54 AM

Ray nice post I may of seen them befor but I like reading it all over again.

Are the rims in the back of the truck that I picked up for you going to be used on the FMC?

I hope I can get the ridemaster plow you sold me out and plow with it this summer. :thumbs:

Hi Jerome

Those rims in the back of the truck that you picked up for me in Indiana are extra 16" rims and the FMC takes 18" rims.
It 's not uncommon to find a Ridemaster with the wrong rims so I bought the 16" rims just in case I did get a Ridemaster with the wrong rims.

After I was able to buy the FMC Bean Cutler, my plan was to put these 16" rims on the Ridemaster I got in Illinois and put those 18" rims on the FMC.
That would work OK because of the Ridemasters also having the 16" wheels.
However, I may not have to do that.
This guy in Ohio that I'm swapping parts with this weekend says that he has a set of 18" wheels.
If I can get those then I can put the correct 18" wheels on the FMC and still keep the correct 18" wheels on the Ridemaster.

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 24, 2010 - 07:52 AM

Great pictures Ray,thanks.