13 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,239 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 09:11 AM

It snowed again today.  It seems as if no one can make up their mind as to what season it is.  Snow Sunday, mid 40s and raining yesterday, low 20s and snowing today!  Crazy stuff.

I am in an area right now for work that I am unfamiliar with.  Staying in a motel in Fairmont, WV but working out of Monongah, WV.  About 15 miles, or 40 minutes.  Crazy roads.

I get up this morning, go to the gas station by my Motel.  Roads are covered and reasonably slick.  Get my goodies at the station, walk outside to watch a guy try to pull out of the gas station, turn sideways in the road and almost get hit in the drivers side door by a car coming down the road.

Get on the interstate, its clear, cruise at 65mph for a few miles and get off the exit.  Back to snow covered roads.  People are driving crazy, weaving in and out of the lanes, slamming on their brakes, and just being a hazard to everyone around them.

Get out in the boonies, lots of turns and up and down hills.  I routinely complain about the roads to my usual work place, but never again.

People are screaming around, watched a guy almost drive off the hillside when he didn't slow down for a 90 degree turn in the road.

I figured people from this area would be excellent winter drivers!  They are quite clearly insane!

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 10, 2013 - 09:11 AM.

• Alc, boyscout862, A.C.T. and 2 others have said thanks

#2 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 09:14 AM

Stay safe! I hope the crazy's vehicles are not attracted to you!!!

It really amazes me how some folks drive in that kind of weather.

• JRJ said thank you

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 09:27 AM

Yes it is "Car Hockey" season and cars don't make very good pucks. When I was learning to drive, my dad told me" I could not just drive my car. I had to be watching what every other car on the road was doing and be ready to avoid them". No truer words were ever spoken.

Slow and steady, never making any sudden moves is what gets me through every winter and not letting myself get put in a tough spot.

My pet peeve is following at a safe distance and having some Jocko driving too fast and  cutting  in front of me. I find in the city if you leave 10 car lengths of stopping distance between me and the car ahead of me 12 cars will try to fill it.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 10, 2013 - 09:28 AM.

• Alc, boyscout862, EricR and 2 others have said thanks

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,306 Thanks
  • 4,659 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 09:38 AM

Sometimes the safe following distance just ain't enough!  

CLICK HERE

• Alc, A.C.T., JRJ and 1 other said thanks

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 09:44 AM

Sometimes the safe following distance just ain't enough!  

CLICK HERE

You are so right! Just yesterday I watched a video of a pileup in Germantown, Wisc, Sunday taken from a highway observation camera.

That crash took a full 5 minutes of people plowing into each other.

• JRJ said thank you

#6 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 09:49 AM

My pet peeve is following at a safe distance and having some Jocko driving too fast and  cutting  in front of me. I find in the city if you leave 10 car lengths of stopping distance between me and the car ahead of me 12 cars will try to fill it.

I swear there must be a sign on my truck that says "Pull over in front of me and slam on your brakes!"  because that is what usually happens.  Like you, I find that leaving any kind of safe stopping distance in front of me leads to more and more drivers pulling into the open area.

• JRJ said thank you

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 10:00 AM

Same here, People in Cincy area completely lose their minds if you just mention snow. We had rain on Friday morning and it was kind of icy, but roads were jsut wet, you would have thought we had a foot fo snow. That afternoon we did get snow and it didn't get any better.This morning we got 3-4" and surprisingly people were actually driving sensibly. Only took me an extra 10-15 mins or so on my normal 35 min trip.

• JRJ and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 10:15 AM

Here is a link to that story in Wisconsin and the video. The thing that amazed me was all the people getting out of their cars and standing in the road while it was happening around them.

http://www.inquisitr...ured-on-camera/

• Alc, JRJ and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 10:17 AM

We have been getting a lot of practice driving on ice this month. Usually it's a SUV in the ditch. The biggest problem is the difference in speeds. There are those who drive too slow and those who drive too fast. Four wheel drive does not give you better stopping power!

• JRJ said thank you

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,533 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 10:19 AM

It is snowing here in CT. I'll get the kid to plow with the Simplicity 725 and I won't go anywhere(neither will he). Good Luck, Rick
  • JRJ said thank you

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 10:54 AM

We have been getting a lot of practice driving on ice this month. Usually it's a SUV in the ditch. The biggest problem is the difference in speeds. There are those who drive too slow and those who drive too fast. Four wheel drive does not give you better stopping power!

I agree with that! Grossing 80,000 might give you traction over the common 4 wheeler. But does not stop as quickly either. Blasting snow and slushy ice on the 4 wheelers windsheld so he see's nothing is just plain rude!! :wallbanging:

• A.C.T. and JRJ have said thanks

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 12:37 PM

It's just starting up here. We had a bit of snow and some freezing rain over night. The main roads were wet and a bit icy in places. I always slow down in those conditions and so do most people. I noticed this morning that the usual number of yahoos were going about 75mph in the outside lane which was slushy and slippery. I wonder what holds them on the road at those speeds.

• JRJ said thank you

#13 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 12:39 PM

I have lived in the Cincy area all my life. Every year people complain with the first sight of bad weather like they have never seen it before. We have about eight inches right now & people still drive like it's a beautiful summer day in a hurry. Our snow normally doesn't last long but we get periods of rain, freezing rain, snow & etc. It's the ice under that soft snow that is dangerous but people just don't get it. 

• JRJ and TAHOE have said thanks

#14 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 03:53 PM

Everyone or at least most drivers should know that speed and ice do not go together, and then you get a few that drive slower than a safe speed, I ran into several of them today while I was out running a few errands, they were more trouble than safety factor.

Dick

• Sawdust said thank you