• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 13, 2012 - 09:06 PM

How does MS Essentials do against the fake window security malware going around? I have had 5 clients that have gotten this stuff and 2 had McAfee, one Norton, one AVG (free) and one had F-Security installed and all were up to date on Windows and anti-virus up dates.

I just installed Microsoft Security Essentials on my windows 7 machine after getting a virus. It seems to be doing pretty good and doesn't seem to slow down the system much. There are actually a lot of good reviews on it and it is free. I guess Microsoft has to do something since they have the most vulnerable operating system of them all. LOL

#47 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted February 13, 2012 - 09:12 PM

I am going to download MSE & give it a try. I currently have McAfee, but free is better!

#48 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 13, 2012 - 09:29 PM

George was at our home earlier today to help move my computer desk to a new location.(This was something that my wonderful wife wanted to do as she changed furniture in the room) He did install this system on my computer. Even being computer challenged, I was able to check and see that this is the system on my computer. Hopefully it works well. I forgot to add what Daniel posted, it was free.Right in my price point.

Edited by grand, February 13, 2012 - 09:31 PM.

#49 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted February 13, 2012 - 09:41 PM

I have used most of them though the years and since I started using MSE it turned into a lot less support and faster running laptops. I have to set these laptops up to be easy to handle and simple and MSE seems to do a very good job of running in the back round and not using up a lot of processor time. Operator's seem to love it compared to what I was using. Not a lot of questions coming in anymore about "What do I do with This! I have found that most of these freebees seem to use Processor time and slow down the machine. Also be careful when downloading anything and watch that it does not install something you do not need or WANT! MSE seems to run in the background and do its job petty well.
1-10 = 8

#50 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,632 posts

Posted February 13, 2012 - 10:23 PM

... I guess Microsoft has to do something since they have the most vulnerable operating system of them all. LOL

Sorry, but you are 100% wrong. The only reason the Macs SEEM to be more 'secure' is that nobody bothers to attack them because the used base is so small.

... The hacker that won the challenge, who asked ZDNet Australia to identify him only as "gwerdna", said he gained root control of the Mac in less than 30 minutes. ...

http://www.zdnet.com...s-139241748.htm

... “It took a couple of seconds. They clicked on the link and I took control of the machine,” Miller said moments after his accomplishment.

The contest kicked off at exactly 3:15 PM and, within seconds, Miller launched his drive-by attack and claimed the $10,000 top prize. He also got to keep the MacBook machine. ...

http://www.zdnet.com...in-seconds/2917

... Using a flaw in Apple's pre-installed first-party Safari browser, it took French security pro Chaouki Bekrar merely 5 seconds to hijack the unwitting MacBook at the CanSecWest Conference's pwn2own contest in Vancouver, British Columbia ...

http://www.dailytech...rticle21097.htm

... In years past, another professional hacker by the name of Charlie Miller was known for hacking OS X was quoted, “Mac OS X is like living in a farmhouse in the country with no locks, and Windows is living in a house with bars on the windows in the bad part of town.” ...

http://www.deaftechn...wn2own-contest/
  • GTTinkerer said thank you

#51 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 13, 2012 - 10:42 PM

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers OB. I was just cracking a joke. You hear more about Microsoft security issues because of the number of people that use windows. I will mention one thing though, the references you pointed out are all Mac related. Even though it is somewhat Linux based Apple still changes a lot with the operating system.

#52 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,632 posts

Posted February 13, 2012 - 11:02 PM

No feathers ruffled...just wanted to alert the Apple guys that anti-virus/malware is as important to them as Windows users.

Actually at the "CanSecWest security conference" they were also trying, successfully as well, to hack other OSs and Browsers. It's just that Apple's was the first/easiest.by a wide margin.

#53 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 08:39 AM

What gets me is someone pays for protection either through an ISP or them self and still gets nailed. I do think M$ has a edge up in that they have access to the OS code. I do think though that it really doesn't make any difference what your OS is if someone wants in bad enough they will find a way just like they do to steal art treasures and top secrets.

I do believe thought that the Mac, Linux, BSD etc. are more secure then windows. Most windows users run as administrators without a password so that gives hackers access to the core of the OS without having to deal with a password or really much security except the anti-virus app which is fairly easily by passed. If and when market share get to the a point for either the Mac or Linux these OS's will also have to deal with some kind of security as well. I do think that the Mac will have to deal with it before LInux does.

#54 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 10:17 AM

Most windows users run as administrators without a password so that gives hackers access to the core of the OS without having to deal with a password or really much security except the anti-virus app which is fairly easily by passed.

That right there is the biggest issue.

Some people continue to run as root or sudo user all the time in linux and they are the ones that get hit too.

Considering in a linux based system running the following command as root: "rm -rf /" will leave ya in a world of hurt LOL.

#55 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 09:11 PM

Some people continue to run as root or sudo user all the time in linux and they are the ones that get hit too.

Considering in a linux based system running the following command as root: "rm -rf /" will leave ya in a world of hurt LOL.

You are right, there has been a lot of discussion about running as a sudo user and running as root is no different then running as administrator. At least running as sudo you do have to enter the password in order to do anything at the root level but it takes a layer away from the security.

If the Mac or Linux ever gain a significant market share

#56 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 15, 2012 - 02:44 AM

I use Norton and am happy. I had Mcafee before but it caused alot of problems.

#57 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 07:23 AM

Got Vipre on one and Trend Micro on the other. Trend Micro seems to warn me about opening more sites and e-mails than Vipre.
Knock on my head (wood) but both units have been problem free. I paid like $20 for the Trend Micro and renewal and the Vipre came on a used unit which is coming up for renewal.

Warns me about several personal sites that folks have for their own GT sites and some coin dealer sites consistantly???

Edited by jpackard56, February 20, 2012 - 06:12 AM.

#58 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 08:22 AM

I use Webroot antivirus. It was on the computer when we got it and have had no problems. Little expensive when it is time to pay for the year subscription but I figure since it hasn't let me down yet, maybe it is worth it.

#59 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 08:25 AM

Take a look at ClamWin. Compared to MSE By Windows Secrets it as well seems not to be a resource hog as well.
AV Summary.jpg
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#60 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 04:38 PM

Never used any never will. Very rarely have I had issues. Might have had 3 major crashes the last 15 years. I dont even mess with spybot or any other spayware. If the PC goes down I can have everything reinstalled in less than 2 hours. I religiously back up so i dont loose anything.