• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#31 RandyLittrell OFFLINE  

RandyLittrell

• Member No: 6730
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 06:49 AM

Well, I thought I would try the Microsoft Security Essentials. Downloaded it yesterday, had a heck of a time uninstalling the AVG. Anyway, I have a lot less processes running and so far things are smoother and faster. So far, so good. Also got the new IE 8, that seems to work better also.

The best way to uninstall software is to download Revo Uninstaller. It is a free download and it goes above and beyond Windows normal uninstall, it searches for extra files left over and it quite surprising how much it finds sometimes.

Randy
  • KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#32 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 09:22 AM

I switch over to Linux years ago and I not longer have to deal an anti-virus or malware on my computer. The wife's and granddaughters computers are another story. The wife has AVG installed and the granddaughters has McAfee because it is free from AT&T. I don't think any of them protect you 100%, it is like cops and robbers the cops have to wait til the robbers do something then react. It amazes me how much resources on a Windows computer goes toward protection.

#33 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,508 Thanks
  • 39,733 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 07:11 PM

That AVG is a real hog. I dropped from 43 processes running down to 36 just by getting rid of it. So far, I'm happy with the Microsoft. Even cleared up some of the CPU usage. Big help for this old thing.

#34 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 07:38 AM

I have used AVG and Avast for about 6 years. AVG on the newer machines and Avast on the older machines as it seem lighter. Recently switched both machines at the church over to Microsoft Security Essentials and noticed a nice boost in performance on both. Made the switch on the lone PC at home along with a bit of tweaking (more overclock, removed unnecessary items from start-up and more ram) and it is much quicker.

I have a dual-boot machine that is running Win7/Ubuntu linux and Ubuntu is a great program, especially in the past three to four releases. No more problems with flash, very easy to set up and pretty bug-free. Stable and functional enough that I have considered dumping windows entirely but need it for some business-related applications that will not run on Ubuntu or on my Macbook.

#35 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 08:39 AM

Trav1s, I'm currently running Zorn which is a fork off Ubuntu. I ran Ubuntu for quite a while (for me :bounce:) and it was quite solid. Have you looked at the latest Wine 1.3.x?
I have a windows app that I needed and up until 1.3.16 it wouldn't run now it runs like a champ.

#36 RandyLittrell OFFLINE  

RandyLittrell

• Member No: 6730
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 11:22 AM

PCLINUXOS is what I have on my dual boot computer and really like it. Close to windows but not!

Randy

#37 140 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7147
  • 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 10:59 PM

Ha. Funny finding a topic like this on a tractor forum... A linux operating system is the best antivirus on planet earth and the cool thing is, it's free too. I run Mint 9 LTS. If you are used to Windoze that is as close as I've found. I find the Gnome desktop a little more familiar than KDE. Linux runs faster than Windoze and FAR more functional in terms of out of the box setup. You don't have to worry about virus software or any other bloatware, add on utilities, or manufacture installed software to keep you tied into their income stream. I preach Linux with a passion. There are things Linux may never be able to compete with against Microshaft, like streaming movies in Netflix, or running some proprietary software, but there are always workarounds and duel boot setups. I haven't booted into Windoze in almost a year now, and I rely on my computer for all kinds of things. Check out Ubuntu, or Mint (based on Ubuntu) if you are a Linux beginner. Live CD's can be used to recover data inoperable machines with relative ease even if you choose not to install the OS. Hope that helps.

#38 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted November 05, 2011 - 08:44 AM

Trav1s, I'm currently running Zorn which is a fork off Ubuntu. I ran Ubuntu for quite a while (for me :bounce:) and it was quite solid. Have you looked at the latest Wine 1.3.x?
I have a windows app that I needed and up until 1.3.16 it wouldn't run now it runs like a champ.

I have not played with Wine on Ubuntu in quite some time. I need to give it a try again. I am running a pay supported version of Wine on my Mac called Crossover. It works great and has allowed me to run some expensive software I purchased during grad school. Crossover offers a paid support version for Linux but I have not tried it either. I need more hours a day to dedicate to technology research.... or to get paid to do that.

#39 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted November 05, 2011 - 08:47 AM

Live CD's are life savers! I have used Ubuntu live CDs to recover data for about 6 years now. I keep a thumb drive with a live CD install with me about all the time. You never know what you stumble into.

#40 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 06, 2011 - 07:45 PM

Yep, Ubuntu has saved many Photo's, documents , projects from crippled Windows computers.

#41 JakeQT17 OFFLINE  

JakeQT17

• Member No: 6095
  • 18 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted November 06, 2011 - 08:47 PM

I do computer forensics for a living. I think Microsoft Security Essentials is the best free antivirus out there. Most of the name brands are pretty similar. In fact I read a report recently where a University ran a study where they created a fake virus. They got one antivirus company to flag it as malware , well before long all of the major brands were also flagging it as malware even though it did nothing malicious. Personally I use Bitdefender and Microsoft Security Essentials simultaneously. NUTNDUN-I can certainly see your logic, but still I would run an antivirus program. You get a lot of benefit for not much effort. When I was in school we ran a test where we put undefended machines on the internet and had a user do normal browsing. Many of the systems were infected within a few minutes. You might not think you have anything to steal on your computer, but a typical person has enough information on their system to have their identity stolen. Do you know everything that is in your email for example? A person could infect your computer, get your email credentials and mine all your email for information that might then get them into your bank account..or maybe you use the same password? Anyway, I don't mean to get on a soap box..but I do see the effects on people whoes systems get pwned (industry term :) )

#42 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted November 07, 2011 - 04:53 AM

I switched our three computers over to Microsoft Security Essentials last week from the free AVG and all three seem slightly faster and when I ran the initial scans two of the three picked up a few bugs.

I have a Charter Communications technician coming over this morning to find out why the internet slows down several times a day on all three computers. The person from Charter I talked to about the problem said that the problem is due to their system overload at certain times of the day.

#43 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted February 12, 2012 - 04:19 AM

I've been working with computers since 1968 when I was programming in Assembler Language on IBM 360s.

I didn't really get into PC's until around the time 8086s and DOS were the 'latest and greatest'.

I've use just about every anti-virus software available, and in my opinion, if you are on a Windows based system, Microsoft's Security Essentials is the best that I've seen yet.

It has a very small footprint, uses very little system resources, and unless it detects something, you will never know it's installed.

Add all of that, plus the fact that you get regular updates through the standard Microsoft Updates, and that it's FREE, makes it the best on the market, bar none.
  • Texas Deere and Horse and GTTinkerer have said thanks

#44 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted February 13, 2012 - 06:45 AM

How does MS Essentials do against the fake window security malware going around? I have had 5 clients that have gotten this stuff and 2 had McAfee, one Norton, one AVG (free) and one had F-Security installed and all were up to date on Windows and anti-virus up dates.

#45 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 13, 2012 - 08:36 PM

I think my malwarebytes stopped that one Bill. I got it once this winter, installed MWB after I got rid of the malware, then MWB caught it trying to come back. Now I keep that updated. I was also told by my "GoTo" computer guy (25 year relationship :thumbs:) to use Microsoft Ess. but have yet to do so.

Edited by Michiganmobileman, February 13, 2012 - 08:37 PM.