• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 05:10 PM

I wanted to know what BRAND of anti-virus protection everyone likes? I have been using McAfee for a few years now, but I have heard that Kaspersky is one of the best out there now.

What do you think?

Brian

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 05:23 PM

For years I used AVG. Have switched to AntiVir on all but one machine. It's caught several things (my son games). I also use Spybot & SuperAntiSpyware. This trio has kept my son from being computerless so far & that's saying something. I swear everytime it says "Click Here" he does. :wallbanging:

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 05:26 PM

I currently use AVG on this computer. I have used Avast also.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 05:41 PM

For years I used AVG. Have switched to AntiVir on all but one machine. It's caught several things (my son games). I also use Spybot & SuperAntiSpyware. This trio has kept my son from being computerless so far & that's saying something. I swear everytime it says "Click Here" he does. :wallbanging:

MH,
I know what you mean...LOL

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 07:26 PM

I probably should give a quick background, 10 yrs ago my pay subscription to MacCoffin destroyed my Compaq with an update that wasn't supposed to be released to AMD chip machines. (ie sloppy quality control) Thankfully I have a friend who was willing to help me get most of the info on it retrieved.

I have trusted AVG for years & still do trust their protection, but the program has gotten huge. It bogs down every unit I had/have it on... sort of like Adobe has done with Acrobat.

I have heard good things about Avast, but when I needed a new virus program, Anti-Vir was ranked #1 or 2 under "free"on many sites (cnet for one) and I thought "What the heck?"

I still have AVG on my parent's computer. This is mainly because they are used to it & they have enough other stuff going on right now to worry about learning a new Anti-Virus program.:D

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 07:43 PM

I have had a subscription to Norton for about 7 years now. I haven't had any problems with viruses in that time. Norton is getting a little pricey though. Last years's re-up was $70. I suppose that's not too bad considering the protection that it gives. About 3 years ago they streamlined their products into one unit, namely Norton internet security, which has saved me some money. They used to have the anti-virus and the personal firewall as separate programs and subscriptions. Free would be better for sure, but I like that it takes care of everything with little or no attention from me. Just my $.02!

#7 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 02:29 AM

I will stick by norton. Years ago when we first got E-mail on the ship, there was a funny one that got spread around, so I fowarded it to my home mail. A few days later the tec's were tearing into the repair divisions computer that we all checked our mail on and ended up replacing it. When I got home norton told me no way am I looking at that mail, it's going in quarintine. The ship used macaffee, and I ain't looked back since, that was sometime in the later part of the 20th century. Now in the 21st, I've even had to contact tec support once a couple years ago and they were good. And as for the price, the internet security version is pretty powerfull, and if you have kids the parental filter is the best I've seen(most will also block stuff they legitimatly need to see for school), and the price covers 3 computers so mine, the wifes, and the kids are all protected for that one purchace. And best I remember, we upgraded to the newest version with a years subscripton for less than the renual would cost.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 05:31 AM

I am using AVG right now and it does a good job.

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 05:56 AM

AVG used to be the best free anti virus but now it is way too bloated as MH81 mentioned and bogs a system pretty good. No matter what brand of anti virus you use it will slow your computer down to some extent. Even on a really fast machine due to it doing file scans on every action made.

I personally don't use an anti virus but that is a chance I am willing to take because I am alsways redoing my computer so a clean install of the operating system doesn't bother me.

You could always put a condom on the network cable?

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 07:30 AM

You could always put a condom on the network cable?

OMG :bigrofl:
George, I actually snorted.

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 07:57 AM

Glad I could make someone laugh today :D

I found the image I was looking for earlier:

Attached Thumbnails

• 5condom.jpg

#12 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 08:11 AM

On my home computer, I recently switched from Norton (approx. $70/year) to Microsoft Security Essentials (free).

http://www.microsoft...ity_Essentials/

I've been running it for about a month now....... good so far.

#13 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1576
  • 77 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 08:28 AM

On my home computer, I recently switched from Norton (approx. $70/year) to Microsoft Security Essentials (free).

http://www.microsoft...ity_Essentials/

I've been running it for about a month now....... good so far.

I to use MS Essentials about 6 months so far so good.

#14 SARG OFFLINE  

SARG

• Member No: 1696
  • 3 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 09:53 AM

Got a bad bug on the machine about 18 months ago that locked it up into a continual loop. My local Geek loaded PrevX and the machine has been A-OK since then. It has the benefit of NOT slowing the computer down like many do.

#15 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 10:32 AM

Got a bad bug on the machine about 18 months ago that locked it up into a continual loop. My local Geek loaded PrevX and the machine has been A-OK since then. It has the benefit of NOT slowing the computer down like many do.

is PrevX the exact name for it? It would be great to have an anti virus program that doesn't slow a machine down.