Sorry I didn't post the pictures this morning. I worked a 12 hr shift and got off at 6 am. Then went to pick them up at 8, got home and loaded pallets for a guy. I didn't go to bed until 1130. I was wiped out. Then the phone wouldn't send the pictures to my e-mail. Just one of those days.
Well, when I got to the guys house, the green one was a model T70. The serial number was not legible. It was in MUCH WORSE condition than he conveyed. The attachment lift arm had been cut off the left side and someone attempted to re-weld it to the right side. FAIL! The left brake pedal assembly was completely missing. The right brake pedal was bent about four inches lower than it should be. It almost looked like someone used this thing in a demo derby! This thing is rough! The front wheels were slapped on there with pieces of cut black threaded pipe as spacers. No washers, just pipe, which cut a nice groove into the hub they installed off of what looked like a wagon or go cart. The guy that did this work was far from an engineer or fabricator! Take a look.
The right rear wheel was completely rusted out.
The drive chain and three stage engine pulley WERE missing. He told me in an e-mail he had them. He said he thought I meant the red one had the engine pulley. Geez, some people. The engine plate was gone, but I knew that going into it. He seemed like a nice guy, but I was really disappointed in the T70's condition. Now, don't get me wrong, I still bought them! We just had to renegotiate the price. He would not split them up. Not that I planned on leaving one behind!
The front blade and rear plow are definitely not original. I forgot to get a good shot of the back of the push blade. I'll do that when it's light out.
The red one had the id tag painted over. It has a Briggs and Stratton engine, but I couldn't tell what horsepower.It had yellow paint under the red paint, so I assume it was once on a Cub Cadet. It smelled of starting fluid when I got there and a can was sitting near by. I asked to hear it run. He said, Oh, well, umm it just started squealing really bad so I shut it off. I said, it either runs, or it doesn't. If it doesn't, I don't pay as much. I could tell he was reluctant to start it. I, on the other hand, was not. He gave it a yank and it fired right up. Probably thanks to the fresh shot of starting fluid. The recoil didn't work and he fed it back carefully while it was running. I heard the normal noise of the reverse disc hitting the jack shaft pulley, but no squealing. I figure the flywheel nut/recoil nut needs to be lubricated. Those are annoyingly loud when they are dry. I'll take a chance on it.
So, it started right up and was leaking a little fuel from the carburetor as it ran. I expected as much. It ran pretty good and throttled up and down nicely. He shut it off and we loaded the green one in the truck bed. Then he drove the red one onto the trailer. There was ice on the deck and it didn't want to pull itself up. It slipped on the ice, but finally made its way up on the trailer. He was worried about the tires. I laughed and said they were about 50 years old. If a little spinning on ice hurts them, they need to be replaced anyway. I lowered the blade mount and strapped it down. I liked that it spun itself out. It showed the belt had enough tension to do some work, and the engine still had some life left.
The red one had the deck engagement lever on the left side, but it didn't look like it was in very good shape.
I paid the man, strapped everything down and headed home. I had a guy headed to my house to buy some pallets to stack wood on, so I had to get home. I was already pretty tired.
That's the story, now here are some other pictures. If you have any questions or comments, please post them. That is the whole idea behind me rambling on after each acquisition.
The red one has the foot pedal accessory.