21 replies to this topic

#1 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 412 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 04:40 AM

Hi everyone!

My Craigslist "Wanted" ad may pay off again. I have two Panzers to go look at and most likely drag home on Friday morning. The red/gray one is supposed to run and have a front blade and a rear plow.

IMG_1172.JPG

He said the green one is missing a few components. The engine, engine plate and a few other little things. You know, the drive chain and attachment lift lever. How careless some people are with their things!

IMG_1173.JPG

The front wheel and tires look to be replaced, but I was assured everything holds air pretty good. One may have a slow leak. Lol. Whether the stuff is original matters not. I like things to be useful and work. Well, until they are in my yard and I get more pictures, here are a few pictures sent to peek my interest...it worked.

The push blade looks either modified, or "Custom fit." I don't have an original rear plow for the small tractors. It doesn't look original from the picture. Maybe I'm wrong. If I am, please correct me. Take a look at the pictures below.

IMG_1174.JPG

Well, I'm hoping nothing goes wrong with the pending pick-up. I'll keep you guys updated and post more pictures. As always, please comment!

• Alc, IamSherwood, sacsr and 3 others have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 05:59 AM

Those look good. Much better than some of the scrap yard finds you see. I agre about people being careless with these tractors. I can't imagine leaving a Panzer to rot!

• Clint and suburban 12 have said thanks

#3 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 06:13 AM

Nice find. I would love to have one in my collection. Hope it works out for you.

Edited by sacsr, December 10, 2013 - 06:13 AM.

• Clint said thank you

#4 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 07:12 AM

Great find, wish I could find another one or two to add to my collection. I don't think that the garden plow is for them. The part that is being used for a top link is a "dog bone" which is used as part of the depth control for a Farmall cub. I don't know what the plow was originally use on but its still a great find. Good luck and I hope you get them.

• Clint said thank you

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 07:20 AM

I wish I could answer any of your questions... I just stooped to look at tractors.
Nice finds, even with the pesky little missing things.
  • Clint said thank you

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 12:47 PM

Hope everything works out for you, those are very nice compared to most I've seen available. 

• Clint said thank you

#7 panzersarebest OFFLINE  

panzersarebest
  • Member No: 36584
  • 523 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 02:53 PM

Great find hope it works out!!!

• Clint said thank you

#8 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• 412 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 08:20 PM

Well, I just got off the phone with the guy. I'm going to meet him about 830 tomorrow morning. I'll put up more pictures then. It's like Christmas came early!

• Gtractor and sacsr have said thanks

#9 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• 412 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 04:22 AM

Hey guys,

Sorry I didn't post the pictures this morning. I worked a 12 hr shift and got off at 6 am. Then went to pick them up at 8, got home and loaded pallets for a guy. I didn't go to bed until 1130. I was wiped out. Then the phone wouldn't send the pictures to my e-mail. Just one of those days.

Well, when I got to the guys house, the green one was a model T70. The serial number was not legible. It was in MUCH WORSE condition than he conveyed. The attachment lift arm had been cut off the left side and someone attempted to re-weld it to the right side. FAIL! The left brake pedal assembly was completely missing. The right brake pedal was bent about four inches lower than it should be. It almost looked like someone used this thing in a demo derby! This thing is rough! The front wheels were slapped on there with pieces of cut black threaded pipe as spacers. No washers, just pipe, which cut a nice groove into the hub they installed off of what looked like a wagon or go cart. The guy that did this work was far from an engineer or fabricator! Take a look.

Panzers from Jeff (3).jpg Panzers from Jeff (12).jpg Panzers from Jeff (14).jpg Panzers from Jeff (15).jpg

The right rear wheel was completely rusted out.

Panzers from Jeff (13).jpg

The drive chain and three stage engine pulley WERE missing. He told me in an e-mail he had them. He said he thought I meant the red one had the engine pulley. Geez, some people. The engine plate was gone, but I knew that going into it. He seemed like a nice guy, but I was really disappointed in the T70's condition. Now, don't get me wrong, I still bought them! We just had to renegotiate the price. He would not split them up. Not that I planned on leaving one behind!

The front blade and rear plow are definitely not original. I forgot to get a good shot of the back of the push blade. I'll do that when it's light out.

The red one had the id tag painted over. It has a Briggs and Stratton engine, but I couldn't tell what horsepower.It had yellow paint under the red paint, so I assume it was once on a Cub Cadet. It smelled of starting fluid when I got there and a can was sitting near by. I asked to hear it run. He said, Oh, well, umm it just started squealing really bad so I shut it off. I said, it either runs, or it doesn't. If it doesn't, I don't pay as much. I could tell he was reluctant to start it. I, on the other hand, was not. He gave it a yank and it fired right up. Probably thanks to the fresh shot of starting fluid. The recoil didn't work and he fed it back carefully while it was running. I heard the normal noise of the reverse disc hitting the jack shaft pulley, but no squealing. I figure the flywheel nut/recoil nut needs to be lubricated. Those are annoyingly loud when they are dry. I'll take a chance on it.

So, it started right up and was leaking a little fuel from the carburetor as it ran. I expected as much. It ran pretty good and throttled up and down nicely. He shut it off and we loaded the green one in the truck bed. Then he drove the red one onto the trailer. There was ice on the deck and it didn't want to pull itself up. It slipped on the ice, but finally made its way up on the trailer. He was worried about the tires. I laughed and said they were about 50 years old. If a little spinning on ice hurts them, they need to be replaced anyway. I lowered the blade mount and strapped it down. I liked that it spun itself out. It showed the belt had enough tension to do some work, and the engine still had some life left.

The red one had the deck engagement lever on the left side, but it didn't look like it was in very good shape.Panzers from Jeff (4).jpg Panzers from Jeff (5).jpg Panzers from Jeff (10).jpg Panzers from Jeff (11).jpg

I paid the man, strapped everything down and headed home. I had a guy headed to my house to buy some pallets to stack wood on, so I had to get home. I was already pretty tired.

That's the story, now here are some other pictures. If you have any questions or comments, please post them. That is the whole idea behind me rambling on after each acquisition.

Panzers from Jeff (1).jpg Panzers from Jeff (2).jpg Panzers from Jeff (6).jpg Panzers from Jeff (7).jpg Panzers from Jeff (8).jpg

Panzers from Jeff (9).jpg

The red one has the foot pedal accessory.

Panzers from Jeff (16).jpg Panzers from Jeff (17).jpg

• sacsr, Newpaws493 and twostep have said thanks

#10 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 06:33 AM

I must've missed it but what model is the red one? T70 as well? I love those full, wrap around rear fenders!
  • Clint said thank you

#11 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• 412 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 06:42 AM

The red one's id tag was painted over. See the last two pictures.

#12 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 07:05 AM

Sorry for my ignorance, I don't know Panzers at all, I thought maybe the model could still be identified.

#13 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 07:40 AM

Congrats on the find! I like the look of the "Panzer" grill models over the "Pennsylvania Panzers" grill model. I had one for a short time and hated to get rid of it, but I needed the space and money. Looks like the red one is nice and complete.
  • Clint said thank you

#14 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 12:39 PM

The red one is roughly a model T65, it is missing the mounting plate for the gear box for the deck. It would be were the one is on the blue one. You can tell it's a T65 because of how the steering is set up, engine vibration plate, and fenders. Looking closer, the snow plow isn't an original plow either, it does appear to be an original mounting tube though.

• sacsr and Clint have said thanks

#15 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 02:46 PM

The steering appears to be set up the same as the green one, doesn't it?  And it has a T-70 grill also.

• Clint said thank you