31 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 15, 2014 - 08:31 AM

Need a little advice here.

I have a JD 318 equipped with a 54" 4 way blade. My driveway is not all that long, but due to the hills and the way it is built it is a PITA to plow. Constantly moving the plow up and down to try and keep the plow from digging in and displacing gravel where it is not supposed to be (in my yard, down the hill, etc..). I also have one short but steep hill that as much as I try not to, I end up washboarding it  to high heaven. The blade does have the factory skids on it, bit those just dig in and do not do much good at all.  

I am looking for something with more surface area like skids that will "glide" the plow over the gravel in float mode, but can still be functional when plowing to the side. I do not mind if it leaves a bit of snow on the gravel either, just getting the bulk of the snow out is my main issue. 

Anybody have any luck with finding or fabricating something like this? 

I tried and use a PVC pipe with a cut from end to end. I put the cutting edge of the snow blade in the cut and it works pretty good for me. It keeps the blade from digging in and it removes most of the snow. It works good for clearing snow off grass too. I have horses and I clear snow off their pasture grass to save my hay stock for later in the winter. Its not perfect but clears the gravel of snow. 

• MH81 said thank you

#32 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 15, 2014 - 06:22 PM

Wouldn't the PVC shatter if you hit a sharp rock and it was cold enough? Maybe you could make a round cutting edge out of steel so it's a little more robust? 

I don't know what they call the grayish plastic pipe that I have used, but I've hit cracks, rocks, brick edging, ect. and mine has not cracked or shattered. Mine fits tight enough that it stays put and does not slip off.  We had that last cold front and I plowed about 8 acres of pasture and it worked good. This will be the second season with this same pipe.

• MH81 said thank you