31 replies to this topic

#16 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 07:38 AM

Wouldn't the PVC shatter if you hit a sharp rock and it was cold enough? Maybe you could make a round cutting edge out of steel so it's a little more robust?
  • JRJ said thank you

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 07:48 AM

I have the same issue with the blade on the FF. Float doesn't help. I am looking at adding some 'wear' pads on it so it won't dig in.

• JRJ said thank you

#18 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 07:59 AM

I think this would be something you would have to contend with no matter what you do until you get a frozen base.  Once that happens you should be able to drop the blade in the float position and go for miles.  Even the blade on the new Massey digs in and it has two big round feet on it.  I'm talking they must be 8" diameter.  I figured they would float over anything.  As long as it's mild out you run the risk of gravel displacement.  I like the idea of the castors but I'm thinking they would get frozen up eventually and just dig small ditches.  Still the idea interests me.  I would be particularly interested in knowing whether or not the castors last more than one winter.

• JRJ said thank you

#19 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 08:07 AM

The ones I got from harbor freight seem pretty darn sturdy, I think they'd hold up just fine but even if not they're cheap enough that I don't think replacing them would hurt too badly.
  • David Brown and JRJ have said thanks

#20 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 09:24 AM

I have same problem with my Sears and blade, its floats due to being winch lifted. My mom's gravel drive is a steep hill with a 90* turn going up the hill, talk about a bear to clean. I have to contend with the change in grade up and down, then while turning, that throws a side to side grade too. I just have to take my time doing it, but still end up with piles of gravel to clean up in the spring.

The PVC sounds like a nice solution.

• JRJ said thank you

#21 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 09:45 AM

Wouldn't the PVC shatter if you hit a sharp rock and it was cold enough? Maybe you could make a round cutting edge out of steel so it's a little more robust?

That is a reasonable question and yes it might if you hit something hard enough when it was very cold. But you notice Kris said use Schedle 40 and that stuff is pretty tough, Leave a piece outside over night and then wear yourself out hitting it with a hammer to see when it breaks. .  Think of it like the use of a shear bolt. It is better to break something that does not damage your equipment and is easy to replace?

When I was younger running Dad's snow route  in a GMC 2 Ton and hitting a concrete parking bumper in a grocery store parking lot and shoving a plow under the truck at 2 am in the morning, I learned the value of a breakaway system.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 09, 2013 - 09:55 AM.

• Gtractor, MH81, JDBrian and 2 others have said thanks

#22 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 07:35 PM

I have the same problem.
This is what I do..........
GEDC0054.jpg
Push the rock back into the drive when the snow melts!
  • pigsitter and superspeedex have said thanks

#23 Hammer OFFLINE  

Hammer

• Member No: 7332
  • 113 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 10:18 PM

KC, if it were that easy.

My driveway gravel ends up in the decorative rip rap limestone and in my yard. Ever tried picking small stones out of big rocks? It sucks. lol

#24 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 08:38 AM

About that gravel in the yard, You can't stop it all, but I saw a way to improve the situation. I was in a hardware store early last spring (the only small engine parts supplier in my town) last spring and while waiting a guy was buying a new Stihl weedeater.  They were fixing him up with a Rubber Paddle wheel attatchment. Being curious I had to ask what it was for? I was told it was way easier and faster to rake the rock off the edges of the driveway and in the grass with the paddlewheel.

• Alc said thank you

#25 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 08:59 PM

Get a piece of schedule 40 PVC plactic pipe 2 inch dia [ID] and 54 inches long.  Rip the PVC lengthwise so it is a tight fit to slide it over the cutting edge.   Might need to attach a pair of vise-grips to one end so it won't drag off when blade is angled.  That will make the cutting edge round and it will take virtually all of the snow without disturbing the gravel. 

Kris I gotta thank you for this idea.  I had a piece of PVC out in the shop so I set to work making one of these for my rear blade.  I took my angle grinder with a cutting wheel and cut the pipe out to a snug fit as stated.  I made the whole thing two inches longer than the blade and left the ends whole so the pipe wouldn't move side to side when the blade is angled.  I added two pieces of wire (one on each side) thru some drilled holes and wired the thing on to a couple of the bolts that hold the cutting edge on the blade.  This thing worked like a charm!  I made it because my neighbor just got around 20 tons of small stone on his driveway this past summer and I didn't want to plow it all off.  I cleared some snow from his driveway tonight and left the stone behind.  The only problem I encountered is one of the ends broke out from being angled the whole time.  I plan on getting a couple of end caps and gluing them on.  Perhaps that will help.  This just worked really well on a 5 foot rear blade.  It's easy enough to pop off when I don't need it or it installs quickly if I do.  Wonderful idea.

• Gtractor and MH81 have said thanks

#26 Hammer OFFLINE  

Hammer

• 113 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 10:44 PM

With 12" of snow expected I went by Lowes today and picked up a piece of 2" PVC & brought it back home. I ripped it length wise with the battery operated circular saw and pounded it on the blade with a rubber mallet. We will see how that goes tomorrow. 

#27 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 09:18 AM

Be careful what you plow when you have that pipe on the blade.  Mine bit the dust this past weekend because I dropped it going up my driveway and hit some larger stones that were sticking up.  Just tore the pipe apart.  This idea works so well though that I decided to build a new one out of a piece of steel tubing that I have laying around.  Should last much longer than the PVC but the PVC works well if you have no obstacles to contend with.  Had I just used it for the neighbors driveway, it would still be with me today.

• MH81 said thank you

#28 Hammer OFFLINE  

Hammer

• 113 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 11:06 PM

Tried the 2" PVC on some very wet slush approx 8" deep and it worked great. Thanks. 

#29 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 07:43 AM

I tried 2" plastic conduit, didn't last the first use! So, I went one farther, 3/16" x 1-1/2" angle bolted in place of the factory edge, then welded a piece of 1-1/2" pipe under that:

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM2979 (640x478).jpg
  • HPIM2980 (640x478).jpg

• KennyP and David Brown have said thanks

#30 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253