31 replies to this topic

#1 Hammer OFFLINE  

Hammer

• Member No: 7332
  • 113 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 08:54 PM

Need a little advice here.

I have a JD 318 equipped with a 54" 4 way blade. My driveway is not all that long, but due to the hills and the way it is built it is a PITA to plow. Constantly moving the plow up and down to try and keep the plow from digging in and displacing gravel where it is not supposed to be (in my yard, down the hill, etc..). I also have one short but steep hill that as much as I try not to, I end up washboarding it  to high heaven. The blade does have the factory skids on it, bit those just dig in and do not do much good at all.  

I am looking for something with more surface area like skids that will "glide" the plow over the gravel in float mode, but can still be functional when plowing to the side. I do not mind if it leaves a bit of snow on the gravel either, just getting the bulk of the snow out is my main issue. 

Anybody have any luck with finding or fabricating something like this? 

• boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#2 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 716 Thanks
  • 556 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 09:05 PM

How about some swivel wheels, like large casters mounted behind the blade? If there isn't room for that I've seen big snowplows with swivel shoes instead of the standard round ones. I think Meyer may have used them but can't remember for sure.
  • Hammer, boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#3 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 09:08 PM

Does your 318 have a float where you push the lever ahead and kinda snap it into place

• Hammer and JRJ have said thanks

#4 Hammer OFFLINE  

Hammer

• 113 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 09:19 PM

How about some swivel wheels, like large casters mounted behind the blade? If there isn't room for that I've seen big snowplows with swivel shoes instead of the standard round ones. I think Meyer may have used them but can't remember for sure.

I have thought about a set of pneumatic casters mounted to the rear of the plow but it seems that they would need to be pretty good size to not dig in like the skids. But good thought, I will look and see what the local tractor supply has available. 

Does your 318 have a float where you push the lever ahead and kinda snap it into place

Yes, it does. 

• JRJ said thank you

#5 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 716 Thanks
  • 556 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 09:21 PM

I bought a set of 6" diameter, semi pneumatic casters from harbor freight for a work bench. They handle crazy amounts of weight and roll really smoothly, I think they'd handle it just fine.

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 7,326 Thanks
  • 4,168 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 09:29 PM

Get a piece of schedule 40 PVC plactic pipe 2 inch dia [ID] and 54 inches long.  Rip the PVC lengthwise so it is a tight fit to slide it over the cutting edge.   Might need to attach a pair of vise-grips to one end so it won't drag off when blade is angled.  That will make the cutting edge round and it will take virtually all of the snow without disturbing the gravel. 

• MH81, Alc, JD DANNELS and 4 others have said thanks

#7 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 09:42 PM

Yes, it does. 

There ya go try it first

• JRJ said thank you

#8 Hammer OFFLINE  

Hammer

• 113 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 09:56 PM

There ya go try it first

I have and it digs going forward. Thus my post here asking for a solution. 

It works great in reverse though.  :D

• JRJ and superspeedex have said thanks

#9 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 10:04 PM

well now i know it wont work on our 445 lol thats why i told you cause i didn t realize ours had it till after plow season

• JRJ said thank you

#10 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,689 Thanks
  • 5,337 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 10:07 PM

Does you blade have down pressure or does it hang by a chain?

Not familiar with JD stuff but most Snow Plows hang by a chain and are flexible in up and down motions so they can follow the contours of the surface, that way they don't dig in so much.

#11 Hammer OFFLINE  

Hammer

• 113 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 10:31 PM

Does you blade have down pressure or does it hang by a chain?

Not familiar with JD stuff but most Snow Plows hang by a chain and are flexible in up and down motions so they can follow the contours of the surface, that way they don't dig in so much.

It has full power hydro up, down, side to side. It can lift the front of the tractor up in the air enough to totally lift the front wheels off the ground. Or it has a "Float" mode where it glides along concrete/blacktop surfaces, not so on gravel as it will dig in. 

• JRJ said thank you

#12 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 603 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 10:35 PM

Google armorskids this is what you need to fab up for your blade the design is for snow blower. The blade skids are usually to small area  causing dig in but with with this kind of ski pad it should keep you up off gravel. 

• MH81, JRJ and Bigwillydier have said thanks

#13 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 11:10 PM

I have gravel on my driveway, and the neighbors which I also clear. Never had this trouble with the float using the blower on the 318. Maybe setup the skid pads like a blower?

When I put the hydraulic remote on float it follows the ground very nicely.
  • JRJ said thank you

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 06:05 AM

I have the same blade on my 2320. I had it on an x475 and ran into the same problem on my 300 ft gravel driveway, which also has a good size hill going up to the road. I increased the surface area of the skids by buying Polaris ATV skid shoes. They cost about 20$ a pair and are round with a 1/2" bolt for mounting. I drilled a 1/2" hole in the bottom of the existing skid  and mounted them. It does help but the shoes are still a bit small for my 2320.  You could also weld a larger bottom onto the existing shoes.

• Alc and JRJ have said thanks

#15 cityboy2977 OFFLINE  

cityboy2977

ordinary average guy

• Member No: 6650
  • 117 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 07:33 AM

Get a piece of schedule 40 PVC plactic pipe 2 inch dia [ID] and 54 inches long.  Rip the PVC lengthwise so it is a tight fit to slide it over the cutting edge.   Might need to attach a pair of vise-grips to one end so it won't drag off when blade is angled.  That will make the cutting edge round and it will take virtually all of the snow without disturbing the gravel. 

this is your ticket.

or you could always take off your wear bar and sandwich a piece of rubber in there. i have this on my 54" blade and it doesnt tear up the grass.

i used a strip of truck bed mat.

• JRJ said thank you