Garden Tractor Forums banner

New Puppy Sleeping Issues

2K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  toomanytoys84 
#1 ·
Picked up Boone yesterday and had one very sleepless night, ended up sleeping on the floor next to his kennel, so what have ya all done to help puppies get over this? We are using a radio next to his kennel and have had luck with this in the past, so let's hear what you've used to get your pup's to sleep threw the night Thank's and can't wait to hear your solutions

#4 ·
Take a shirt or something you have worn and won't miss if it gets destroyed. Make sure it has your scent on it and put it in the kennel with him. Also put a chew toy in there for him to play with.

#7 ·
I am a big believer of crate training a puppy. Make sure you cut off the water early enough so he does not need to go the bathroom. For young pups, I usually get up in the middle of the night to early morning to take them out to do their business. Once that is done, immediately back to the kennel (crate)....till morning....but yes...first couple of nights usually not much sleep for any of you. He will learn. I have traveled most of the southern half of the is country with my Boykin Peat. 99.99 percent of the time you would never know he was in the back of the truck. He is a better traveler than my children were. He was crate trained and for me....would have it no other way. Good luck and enjoy your new best friend!

#9 ·
I am a big believer of crate training a puppy. Make sure you cut off the water early enough so he does not need to go the bathroom. For young pups, I usually get up in the middle of the night to early morning to take them out to do their business. Once that is done, immediately back to the kennel (crate)....till morning....but yes...first couple of nights usually not much sleep for any of you. He will learn. I have traveled most of the southern half of the is country with my Boykin Peat. 99.99 percent of the time you would never know he was in the back of the truck. He is a better traveler than my children were. He was crate trained and for me....would have it no other way. Good luck and enjoy your new best friend!
Crate training seems cruel at first but my dogs loved their crates. Most of the time when you didn't see them sleeping on the floor they were in their crates sleeping with the doors wide open. It became their space

#10 ·
Crate training is the way to go.. Use all of the above suggestions. (except the puter one maybe).. He is missing him mom and you.. Your sent will help lots. But.. They all whine for a few days up to a week. I had to close the bedroom door my labs crate was in. took three nights and after that She was good. Now all of my dogs 6 of em go to their crates at 10 pm and lay down. They know that's bed time.

#14 ·
He's used to sleeping in a dog pile with other pups. I remember my wife sleeping on the floor with a puppy for a couple of nights.
More than a couple nights there buster!! :smilewink:

#15 ·
He's used to sleeping in a dog pile with other pups. I remember my wife sleeping on the floor with a puppy for a couple of nights.
That's funny. At my place I am the one who usually ends up in the dog house! It should improve in a few days. Crate training is a good way to go IME as well.

#16 ·
Crate training is the way to go.. Use all of the above suggestions. (except the puter one maybe).. He is missing him mom and you.. Your sent will help lots. But.. They all whine for a few days up to a week. I had to close the bedroom door my labs crate was in. took three nights and after that She was good. Now all of my dogs 6 of em go to their crates at 10 pm and lay down. They know that's bed time.
Mine did the same. They knew.me and my ex wife's pre bed routine and when. We started locking doors turning off the tv they went ran upstairs and got in their crates

#17 ·
Last night was pretty good he only whined for 15 minutes when he was first put down, then he slept until about 430 this morning. After I took him out he fussed a little bit then he was good until 830 this morning when he had to go again, Things are looking up :D Thank's for all the advice, like so many of you I have to have my dog's kennel trained, they need to have their own space to getaway to Thanks again for all the advise

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yep, I wouldn't have a puppy if I didn't have a crate. As you found out, they will whine for a few days, just missing mom/siblings, but they will adjust. We usually put a stuffed animal in with them and then covered crate with a blanket to make it like a den, dogs still have some of the wild pack-den ancestry in them, they like having that cave like area to go back to. Most of mine now just sleeps on big dog pillows in the kitchen. Our Schnauzer still needs a crate though or she will pee a night, it's a ll a behavior thing cause she will hold it until we let her out.

#20 ·
Yep, I wouldn't have a puppy if I didn't have a crate. As you found out, they will whine for a few days, just missing mom/siblings, but they will adjust. We usually put a stuffed animal in with them and then covered crate with a blanket to make it like a den, dogs still have some of the wild pack-den ancestry in them, they like having that cave like area to go back to. Most of mine now just sleeps on big dog pillows in the kitchen. Our Schnauzer still needs a crate though or she will pee a night, it's a ll a behavior thing cause she will hold it until we let her out.
Not to long ago the grand-kids were spending the night with us. We made a tent in the spare bed room for them to play in. Well one day we couldn't find Achilles, our Rottweiler, we looked all over the house then finally I see him come stretching out from under the tent.

Our 3 year old grandson would be afraid of going to sleep by him self so we started putting Achilles in with him for his nap's. Achilles would just curl up on a blanket right beside the bed and stay there until he wakes up. That has now become Achilles bed all the time.

#22 ·
This is a little late for your case, but when we ship a puppy to someone we have them sleep with a towel for a couple of days and then mail it to us. I then crate the pup off and on with the towel so that when he gets off the plane he's familiar with the scent of his new people and doesn't feel so lost and alone. Works like a charm.
We did that with Dottie, took an old towel with us when we picked her up, had the seller rub "mom" with the towel & put it in Dottie's box. ~~ Lowell

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Meet Massie.

Our English Mastiff pup we just got yesterday.

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Companion dog

Dog Dog breed Mammal Carnivore Fawn

Last night it was fine. Tired from the big car ride I guess.
Tonight, a bit different.
I might have to go sleep with the tractors for a few nights. :smilewink:

Edit
Wow, I threw the wife's sweater in the cage, and draped a bed sheet
over the cage.
Silence in 1 minute. Whew.

Attachments

#25 ·
Thanks

Beautiful pup!!!! I always liked a brindle, don't know why. How old is she?
Thanks. She is 8 weeks old.

The sweater and bed sheet worked pretty good. She started to kick up a fuss, one more time,

and then shut up, after I cleared my throat. maybe once she knew we where close by, she was

happy.

It's the wife's dog. She needs a dog around, but didn't want another after we had to put

the Saint down in early Jan. Robyn (saint) had a big tumor on back leg. Why don't you

want another? I asked. Her answer was that she didn't want to see another dog get old

and die. It only took a couple minutes to convince her that was a crazy way to think.

She had this one lined up in short order.

The name Massie, she picked. Could refer to Massey Fer..... or just short for Mastiff, because

we're to lazy to come up with something better. I like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.