12 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 10:07 AM

About eight years ago we planted ten Saskatoon bushes out back. For those of you not familiar with the Saskatoon, it's a bush that produces berries that are similar to, but tastier than, a blueberry. Since Saskatoons grow wild around here, I thought this would be easy.

Well it turns out that Saskatoons are infamously hard to grow. For some reason they just don't like being domesticated. Seven of the bushes have died off over the years, but I have three left. They produce a handful of berries every year, not exactly the bounty I was expecting. I've been told that if I can keep them alive they'll just take off more or less inexplicably one day though, so I've been keeping them alive.

Anyway, I was upstairs this morning and looked out the window. There were two deer chowing down on my Saskatoons. I opened the window and hollered, but the deer didn't care. I ran downstairs and put on my boots and went out with the dogs. The dogs looked at the deer and went back inside the fence. I slogged through the snow and was with twenty feet of the deer before they decided to move on. I mean, I know food is hard for deer to find in the winter, and I know that there's no hunting around here, but I'd expect them to run off.

Two of my three remaining bushes are now twigs. I'm going to ring all three with chicken wire today, but I have a feeling that when spring comes I'll be down to one bush.:mecry:

#2 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 10:22 AM

Sounds like you need a cross bow!! ("and I know that there's no hunting around here") And a big freezer!

Edited by nra1ifer, December 22, 2010 - 10:45 AM.

#3 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 10:27 AM

I was thinking maybe some land mines.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 10:42 AM

Maybe some braver dogs? LOL

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 10:45 AM

They would have been some dead deer on the dinner table or at least in bologna sticks. Although right now I don't have anything to shoot em with :D

#6 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 11:04 AM

Guess you'll just have to buy some good Alpha sq hay bales and feed them.Only problem they'll tell there friends and then you'll have more to ruin the bushes.LOL Larry

#7 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 12:45 PM

:rofl2::rofl2:

#8 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 01:10 PM

I have heard that you can put a 1 litre empty soda pop bottle on the end of a rifle barrell, and it doesn't make much noise.

George PETA[ PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS]

#9 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• Member No: 757
  • 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 03:23 PM

I use the creosote from cleaning the wood burner I sprinkle it around my gardens and never have deer problems -usually I have to make people give me theres so I have enough I do it every season

or you could get some predator spray so the deer think theres wolf or bear in the area

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 05:18 PM

I use the creosote from cleaning the wood burner I sprinkle it around my gardens and never have deer problems -usually I have to make people give me theres so I have enough I do it every season. Or you could get some predator spray so the deer think theres wolf or bear in the area

How about creosote and predator spray on braver dogs? :bigrofl:

Seriously, Hot Pepper Wax: Animal Control I've heard lots of good things about this stuff. never had to use it myself, but friends of mine have & says it works for all animals.
Hot Pepper Wax - Products.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 05:54 PM

I say venison makes a great dinner main dish! But the dogs didn't earn leftovers!:(

#12 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 06:18 PM

To be fair, only one's afraid. The other just isn't interested in anything but his toys.

They would have been some dead deer on the dinner table or at least in bologna sticks. Although right now I don't have anything to shoot em with

I'd go for kolbasa. I lack weaponry though, and there are neighbours and a highway back there, so shooting deer is unlikely to go unnoticed.

Guess you'll just have to buy some good Alpha sq hay bales and feed them.Only problem they'll tell there friends and then you'll have more to ruin the bushes.

I think the food might be part of the problem. Some people down the road got a couple of horses, and it's a short trip through the field from their place to mine. The deer population around has risen dramatically since the horses moved in. I like having horses around though, especially horses I don't have to look after, so I don't want to complain.

I use the creosote from cleaning the wood burner I sprinkle it around my gardens and never have deer problems -usually I have to make people give me theres so I have enough I do it every season

or you could get some predator spray so the deer think theres wolf or bear in the area

I've been using human hair during the growing season, which seems to work well for both deer and rabbits. I hadn't been using anything in the winter though. I'll have to give the creosote thing a try.

#13 Pa Plow Day OFFLINE  

Pa Plow Day

• Contributor
  • Member No: 201
  • 7 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 10:25 PM

I've been using human hair during the growing season, which seems to work well for both deer and rabbits. I hadn't been using anything in the winter though. I'll have to give the creosote thing a try.

I've heard great things about the human hair from a few friends. i use nottproducts.com, the sell "deer pro". I have customers that have deer problems, i spray this in the late fall, and it lasts all winter. Its not cheap, but is the best solution i have ever found. This is only for non-growing season, and i don't know what the restrictions would be since you do eat the berries.

good luck!