• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • Member No: 11152
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 01:29 PM

yesterday i was back blading with the 1886 and started to smell more and more of a gas smell. pulled it into the barn and smoke was starting to come out of the engine area. popped the hood open and find the front of the engine tins are soaked in gas. i quickly shut it down and ran to the house for an extinguisher. well it was not needed thank god. i pin pointed the source of the leak to the fuel pump. the rod that goes through the pump housing was a bit pushed out that holds the arm which goes into the engine block. also some of the screws were loose on the pump as well. i tightened them all up and pushed the pin back into the housing. now there is a very minor leak at the pin. it might not be too bad but i don't want fuel leaking on a hot engine!

i have seen online replacement ones that are made of plastic. has anyone used these? these are factory replacement ones. i wonder how well they hold up? does anybody have a GOOD used one for sale? or a rebuild kit for those?

• JRJ said thank you

#2 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 01:46 PM

I have used the replacements and they seem to be fine, don't know if they will last 30 years plus like some of the old ones.At one time I think someone was trying to do a rebuild kit because they have not been avaliable for many years.Maybe one of the other guys can shine some light on that

• oddfirecj5 and JRJ have said thanks

#3 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 01:54 PM

nice to know they hold up ok. i was kind of thinking with as hot those engines run a plastic pump wouldn't last long

• JRJ said thank you

#4 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 04:46 PM

well after digging in my parts pile/boxes i found a brand new fuel pump (kohler). would i be able to un-thread the fittings from the aluminium (stock) one and thread it into the plastic one? 

#5 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 04:47 PM

i really love it when you buy tractors or attachments and they come with boxes of spare parts

#6 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 10:51 PM

I installed an electric fuel pump on my HT20. It had a low pressure Facet electric unit on it previously (commonly referred to as a cube pump)- but it finally wore out (estimated it to be 25 years old +/-. If you decide to go electric it'll make starting after sitting for long periods much easier. The replacement I installed is a Mr. Gasket and it seems to be working quite well, but I still believe the Facet is a superior unit. It would have been easy to mount it in a hidden location - but I didn't mind installing it on the outside.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens HT20 Electric Fuel Pump and Filters 2.jpg

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 07:26 AM

I installed an electric fuel pump on my HT20. It had a low pressure Facet electric unit on it previously (commonly referred to as a cube pump)- but it finally wore out (estimated it to be 25 years old +/-. If you decide to go electric it'll make starting after sitting for long periods much easier. The replacement I installed is a Mr. Gasket and it seems to be working quite well, but I still believe the Facet is a superior unit. It would have been easy to mount it in a hidden location - but I didn't mind installing it on the outside.

Got a # on that fuel pump?

#8 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 07:57 AM

Is that the one that most auto parts carry? I know I've seen something similar at the advances and AutoZones by me...

#9 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 08:39 AM

The replacement I installed is a Mr. Gasket and it seems to be working quite well, but I still believe the Facet is a superior unit.

Don't know if it's true but I've read in several places that the Mr. Gasket pumps are made by Facet???

What's the Mr. Gasket's rated output pressure?  I've seen them at the parts stores but was a bit leery of trying one because I assumed that one for automotive use would have a bit too much pressure and might require a regulator.  I ended up using an "ebay special" on my GTX-18 that was only rated 2-3 psi.  It works great and I wanted to buy a few more for spares and other projects but the seller never had that exact pump listed again.

Edited by Canawler, December 09, 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#10 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 07:28 PM

i did install an automotive one on another 1886 and it works fine. i got the lowest pressure they had. paid 30 bucks or so. you could always do a pressure regulator too i guess.

today i installed the new fuel pump and the score is man 1 machine 0. runs like a top again. but i will say it was a challenge getting that little bugger out and in. no leaks and just letting the snow build up so i can plow.

#11 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 08:06 PM

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but...

Here is a link to some Kohler fuel pumps:

http://www.psep.biz/..._fuel_pumps.htm

And here's a link to the electric pump:

http://www.kirkengin...ctronicFuelPump
  • oddfirecj5 said thank you

#12 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 09:07 PM

i was looking for that website oldbuzzard. i thought i had it saved in my favorites but couldn't find it. thanks

#13 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 02:30 PM

Sorry for the slow response - I haven't had time to jump online lately. 

It is a Mr. Gasket from Advance Auto Parts #42S 

Here is a link to Mr. Gasket's website - http://shop.mr-gaske...h-gasoline.html

I also looked at the Facet Posi-Flo which looks suspiciously like the Mr. Gasket. I needed something "same day" so I pulled the trigger on the Mr. Gasket since it was a locally available pump. I also had a coupon for Advance so I ended up buying it and two filters (1 before and 1 after the pump) for less than the cost of buying it online - plus it was less than the Posi-Flo or the Cube style Facet. It's pretty quiet and have worked flawlessly so far. It sure make starting up the tractor much easier - as it primes up automatically. I find myself using the choke much less.. if at all now. It also fixed the "rich" problem I had with the previous Facet Cube - however it was a higher pressure unit, not the one that Dennis sells at Kirker Engines. By the way, Dennis seems like a great guy, and if you have time to wait for the cube style I would suggest buying it from him. He also sells some other great products. 

Nick

• KennyP said thank you

#14 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 08:56 AM

Nice.  I didn't know any of the Mr. Gasket pumps were rated that low. 

Now where did I see that Advanced Auto coupon?  I know it's here somewhere. :smilewink:

• nglauer said thank you

#15 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 02:05 PM

Nice.  I didn't know any of the Mr. Gasket pumps were rated that low. 

Now where did I see that Advanced Auto coupon?  I know it's here somewhere. :smilewink:

If it wasn't for the coupon... and the fact that I needed it now I may have ordered a cube from Dennis.... but needing it now and having that coupon made my day much better lol.  Make sure you pick up some filters and fuel line if/when you get a replacement pump. I replaced all of my line from the tank to the carb as a precaution. I also flushed my fuel tank while I had it off (although it seemed perfectly clean). I also picked up some small stainless hose clamps from Harbor tool or someplace as well. Install was fairly simple and quick. 

Nick