Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Poll: What kind of Synthetic Oil?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your favorite brand of Synthetic Oil (38 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favorite brand of Synthetic Oil

1. Amsoil (8 votes [21.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

2. Hi-Tec HTO (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. BP Visco (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Shell Helix (1 votes [2.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

5. Mobil 1 (6 votes [15.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

6. Castrol (4 votes [10.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

7. Torco (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Royal Purple (2 votes [5.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

9. Valvoline (1 votes [2.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

10. Blend (Please post brand) (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Never use it (9 votes [23.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.68%

12. Other (Please post brand) (7 votes [18.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 SammyRye OFFLINE  

SammyRye

• Member No: 1558
  • 41 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted December 24, 2010 - 05:30 PM

Was having a serious problem with my Craftsman LT2000 starting in the cold. Decided to do a couple of things to help it out - change out L&G battery and go to a size 26 car battery; replace spark plugs; pull off starter and clean; add battery disconnect; add battery auto-maintainer; change oil filter; change to synthetic oil.

Wow! What a difference! Went out to the un-heated storage shed this morning to start it and plow some flurries - started like it was the middle of summer! I'm going to change the oil in my generator and switch to synthetic - it's hard to start, too. BTW - I'm trying out the O'Rielly's brand ($3 a quart cheaper than the other "name" brands).

We'll see! Rich

#17 nova ss OFFLINE  

nova ss

• Member No: 1473
  • 8 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted February 16, 2011 - 09:22 AM

I use mobil in my vette, but rotella in freightliner with a cat

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted February 16, 2011 - 10:03 AM

T
I use Shell Rotella in everything. I check the oil level constantly.

I have used SHELL ROTELLA for more years than I can remember. I have never had any problems, so I'm not going to change this late in the game.

Regards George

Same here, Rotella in EVERYTHING except 2 cycles of course. Been doing this for many years & great results. When nothing is breaking, it must work!

#19 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 16, 2011 - 10:22 AM

I have been a Shell Rotella user for 21 years, since we bought our first diesel pick up. I have a Chevy Suburban that we got in 2000 used, and the first owner had been running Mobil 1 in it since it was new. I stayed with that in the Suburban, it now has over 400,000 miles on it. I don't know if it's the oil, or the fact that we drive a lot of highway miles and do regular maintenance, But its never had an oil related issue.

#20 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 05:37 PM

I buy mine by the case at O'Reily's. And they claim their store brand fully synthetic is made by Mobile. Not sure if it is Mobile 1, though. I am going to change the transaxle oil in my John Deere X500 to Amsoil 5w50 this spring.

#21 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 09:22 AM

I use bradpenn racing oil

#22 Dieseljon OFFLINE  

Dieseljon

• Member No: 3923
  • 7 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 10:11 AM

Let me jump in here and see who I can upset first :bounce:. Synthetic is the way to go, Amsoil is the best with Mobil 1 being a close second, picking one brand and sticking with it is right up there on my list with don't sit a battery on a cement floor cause it'll drain it:wallbanging: and there is a big difference in oils. You get what you pay for. You can run a good synthetic oil 3 or 4 times longer between changes so the extra cost works out in the end. I've seen first hand how a carberated engine acts when changed over to synthetic. idle went up 125 rpm, engine ran smoother with less noise and gained right under 1 mpg. this was in a 4 banger. ran 15000 miles between changes and never had any trouble. I know people that will run 25000 between changes on cars that have had synthetic since they were broke in and they have 250,000 plus miles without any troubles. One thing, do not use synthetic oil till the engine is broke in. I've seen it done. I tried to tell the guy not to but he had a high dollar edgikation and he knew what he was doing. He bought a new Honda, drove it home about 5 miles from the dealer and changed the oil to Mobil 1. That was the end of that engine. You've got to seat the rings and let the engine wear in before going to synthetic. it's so slick that the rings will just glaze and then you've got a oil smoker. If you still think oil is oil try this. Change over everything you own to Penzoil and never look back. I'm in the middle of tearing down a 302 Ford with just over 100.000 miles on it that had been ran on penzoil its whole life and yes it was changed every 3000 miles. It's so sludged up that the oil can't drain from the heads into the crank case and the push rods are as big around as the valve springs. :D

Edited by Dieseljon, June 13, 2011 - 10:15 AM.
cause I can?

#23 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 10:25 AM

Your observation on Pennzoil is something I saw many yrs ago, another Ford 302 67(Wifes Grandmother) ran that oil since new.
And the same with a 289 Ford Fairlane.
This was before synthetics. I ran only Quaker State at the time.
Another interesting observation, a Friend bought a 429 Ford and put it in a 69 Ford Custom.
Mobil 1 had just came out so he changed to that. It cleaned out all the sludge and every gasket in the engine leaked.
He used/leaked 6 qts of oil in an 80 mile trip.Pulled it sown and replaced the gaskets and never had a problem after that.
I have never made the jump to synthetics but am thinking abot doing so.

#24 Dieseljon OFFLINE  

Dieseljon

• 7 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 11:01 AM

Your observation on Pennzoil is something I saw many yrs ago, another Ford 302 67(Wifes Grandmother) ran that oil since new.
And the same with a 289 Ford Fairlane.
This was before synthetics. I ran only Quaker State at the time.
Another interesting observation, a Friend bought a 429 Ford and put it in a 69 Ford Custom.
Mobil 1 had just came out so he changed to that. It cleaned out all the sludge and every gasket in the engine leaked.
He used/leaked 6 qts of oil in an 80 mile trip.Pulled it sown and replaced the gaskets and never had a problem after that.
I have never made the jump to synthetics but am thinking abot doing so.

From what Ive seen it kinda of seems like Ford's have more sludge problems anyway. really started getting bad with the early fuel injected engines. I've been a ford fan for years, but I've seen the inside of more sludged up fords than anything. Synthetics will attack gaskets and seals of some older engines. I use to drive a Volkswagen Rabbit Diesel (stop laughing at me) and that was a known big no no to put synthetic in one of them. Any of you remember Kendall (think thats right) The guy I bought it from was a volkswagen mechanic and he bought the car new back in 81. He said at 475.000 miles he put pistons and rings in it. It had just over 500.000 on it when I bought it and it ran good for a volkswagen diesel. He told me the same thing about synthetic oil in a older volkswagen. He said the crank seals wouldn't make it past the driveway. I couldn't find kendall so I changed over to Mobil Delvac and ran another 100.000 before the engine gave up. It didn't give up due to oil it gave up due to the fact that it was a 52 hp engine that I drove 100+ miles a day and I cranked the pump up to the point it was washing the cylinders, but it sure ran good for a little bit lol.

#25 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 02:42 PM

I'd be a hypocrite if I laughed at you for driving a VW Rabbit Diesel!! Of all the cars I've owned in the past 50 yrs My Rabbit Diesel(it too was an 81) was one of my favorites!! It did very well tooling around here in Iowa, even with limited hp I could be at the speed limit merging on to the interstate.
The only place I felt under powered was in Kansas City, with their short up hill ramps, it was too slow to merge with traffic.
If I could find another good one I would buy it in a heartbeat.

#26 Dieseljon OFFLINE  

Dieseljon

• 7 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 04:50 PM

I'd be a hypocrite if I laughed at you for driving a VW Rabbit Diesel!! Of all the cars I've owned in the past 50 yrs My Rabbit Diesel(it too was an 81) was one of my favorites!! It did very well tooling around here in Iowa, even with limited hp I could be at the speed limit merging on to the interstate.
The only place I felt under powered was in Kansas City, with their short up hill ramps, it was too slow to merge with traffic.
If I could find another good one I would buy it in a heartbeat.

You just described my problem with the VW diesel. I work in Kansas city and drive I35 every day so you know what my problem was. I had 4 rabbit's through the years and I also think it was one of the toughest cars ever built and they are almost to easy to work on, but when you drive the interstates of Missouri you need to be able to run with the pack or get killed (lots of crazy drivers in Missouri). There was times when I had a bad head wind, I would hold it to the floor from Kc to Cameron thats about 50 miles of cussing and getting pushed all over the road. Even at 40 plus mpg it got to the point it wasn't worth it. I still see one once in a while running down the interstate getting in everyone's way lol.

#27 Marauderer OFFLINE  

Marauderer

• Member No: 4126
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 08:37 PM

Oil is a very personal subject and there are as many opinions and assessments as there are folks talking about it. I would never tell someone to run the oils that i am running unless I was directly asked. That being said, I have run Amsoil since 1985 when I was introduced to it by my Volvo Technician. I run Amsoil in everything I own that needs oil. From my Honda lawn mower, motorcycle, Jetta TDI, GMC Duramax/Allison and have over 1 million miles of driving with it and never had an oil related issue. That isn't saying that I couldn't have gotten similar results using Dino based oil. But, with the Amsoil I only dumped the crankcase every 100K mi. I did change the full flow and bypass filkters every 20K mi.