Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Poll: What kind of Synthetic Oil?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your favorite brand of Synthetic Oil (38 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favorite brand of Synthetic Oil

1. Amsoil (8 votes [21.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

2. Hi-Tec HTO (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. BP Visco (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Shell Helix (1 votes [2.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

5. Mobil 1 (6 votes [15.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

6. Castrol (4 votes [10.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

7. Torco (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Royal Purple (2 votes [5.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

9. Valvoline (1 votes [2.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

10. Blend (Please post brand) (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Never use it (9 votes [23.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.68%

12. Other (Please post brand) (7 votes [18.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 10:04 PM

Was looking online at Synthetic Oils & I was wondering what everyone here uses.

#2 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 10:16 PM

I use Super Tech from Walmart. Almost 200K on my van, and 131K on my wife's Mustang and going strong.

Edited by nra1ifer, December 22, 2010 - 07:30 AM.

#3 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1538
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 05:07 AM

I've been using Mobil 1 in the truck since just after breakin. I just turned 170k with no mechanical problems. I'm hoping for another 170k.

#4 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 06:38 AM

I use castrol....but, I think most oils are very similar. I think its more important to pick one and stick with it rather than switching brands.

#5 jj69chev OFFLINE  

jj69chev

Tractorholic

• Member No: 626
  • 24 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 07:18 AM

I use ams oil, used it when I was a mechanic, and in our racing sleds. it's guaranteed and they seem to be on the leading edge of the innovation

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 07:21 AM

Amsoil for three reasons:
1) My neighbor is an Amsoil dealer.
2)Amsoil has been around for a long time,they have been doing synthetic oils since 1972.They were about the first in synthetics.
3) In most tests ,Amsoils comes out on top.

These are some of my reasons for liking Amsoil.

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 07:31 AM

I just bought my first 3 quarts of synthetic oil for my Wheel Horse 314. Too soon to tell any difference yet. I chose the Castrol Syntech because I've used Castrol GTX exclusively for about 15 years in all of my vehicles with no mechanical trouble at all. My S10 had 247,000 miles on it when the body rotted off and it still ran great and never smoked. It did use about 1/2 quart in between changes, but I can't say that's a problem after that many miles! I should also say that I agree with Poncho that I believe it's more important to pick one and stick with it!

#8 mastifflawyer OFFLINE  

mastifflawyer

Tractorholic

• Member No: 261
  • 43 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 07:51 AM

The issue of oil use seems to come up more than any other issue with every group I have ever been associated with. It usually ends up with everyone fighting about what is best. On the one side are those who say that synthetics are the greatest thing out there. They usually point to incredible mileage some have attained on vehicles. The other side counters with the fact that there is really no relationship between GT engines and car engines. They say that since our GT engine manufacturers recommend oil changes at such short intervals the Synthetics are just a waste. My take on it is simple. Use what you want.
I use Shell Rotella in everything. I check the oil level constantly. I change it at recommended intervals, and about every other time I put a little Seafoam in before I drain it.
I have never sent my oil for tests. The only thing I can say from experience is that when using Multi-weight oil my engines seem to use more.

#9 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 08:49 AM

I'll weigh in with my 2 cents coming from earning a living in the old car/truck hobby[business]: if you do not run your engine, be it "small" engines or car/truck on a regular basis there is some concern on lubrication at first startup with synthetics. Synthetics are slippery, they slide off parts better than conventional oils and over longer periods may not leave enough protective film for initial start up. Not a concern if you use your equipment regularly but a can be a concern if it is more of a collector piece started and run only a few times a year for shows etc. Other than that, good stuff if you want to go that route. Just as others have said, stick with one brand and change it when recommended.

#10 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 09:35 AM

I use Castrol because waaaaayyyyy back in the 1980's somebody told me it would help my Triumph Spitfire with an oil-pressure issue. It did. I still don't understand why. Anyway, I started buying it back then and have stuck with it ever since, including when I switched to synthetics.

That said, I doubt there's much difference between brands. Synthetics are pretty hi tech and the oil companies are pretty competitive. I doubt there's anyboy out there making a shoddy product.

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 11:56 AM

I've never tried synthetic oil. Don't know much about it I guess.

#12 SARG OFFLINE  

SARG

• Member No: 1696
  • 3 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 02:08 PM

The Wallyworld Supertech stuff ....... reasonable price when there's no notable difference in any of the oils.

#13 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 03:52 PM

I buy whatever is on sale at the time when I need it, have tried different brands and didn't notice any difference in them. Comparing synthetic to mineral base oil of the same grade, I believe there is a difference.

IMO for what ever it's worth synthetic oil in an air cooled engine is better.
-summer time engines don't burn as much, oil stays cleaner longer, motor seems to run cooler more so on the hottest days, the harder you push an engine the more the difference is.
-winter time engines turn over faster, start easier and again don't burn as much, oil stays cleaner longer.

I base this on my time working at the landscapers, one year we switched all air cooled 4 stroke engines over to synthetic and that's what I noticed. They never used oil additive in anything and when something came in the shop for any kind of repair if the oil wasn't clean it was changed.
Nothing takes the place of regular maintenance and if you run an engine with no oil or not enough, it doesn't matter what kind of oil is in it, you know what's going to happen.

#14 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 02:45 AM

I havn't used synthetic yet, but I'm getting more and more tempted too. I ask for it last time time I changed the oil in my '85 honda shadow, but the bean counter/cooker told me no it's too pricy. Next time I might adjust that opinion, if my doghouse is warmer at the time. . .

#15 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 08:39 PM

I have used SHELL ROTELLA for more years than I can remember. I began using it when a neighbor, who was a truckdriver told me about it. I have never had any problems, so I'm not going to change this late in the game.

Regards George