Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Just So You Guys Know That I Do Use It

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 01:16 PM

Glad you are enjoying the Massey.  Do you have any complaints with it in the cold?  Does it handle any different?

Ben W.

No complaints.  It's a diesel so it takes a little to get used to starting it in the cold.  Always fires right up though.  I do have a heater that I put on it to make it a little easier.  If I had one complaint it would be this.  The hour meter is calibrated (if that's the right term) to gage hour usage at 1800 RPM.  They tell you during the break in period to run the engine at max RPM which is 2600 for this model.  That's supposedly optimum RPM on the power curve.  I guess 1800 is a happy medium that takes into account the time the tractor is at idle or whatever.  Other than that, this thing is an absolute beast.

• superaben said thank you

#17 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 01:17 PM

The smart thing would be to make kids stack it.

Only got one left at home and SHE no longer has the desire to come out and help dad like she used to.  She's usually working when I'm doing this stuff anyway.

• MH81 said thank you

#18 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 02:48 PM

Good to see the tractor is earning its keep. You Red Neck Engineering makes good sense to me!! I am sure you will work out a way to move the wood from the door to the heater. Have you seen the tube frame conveyers they used to use in barns to move small square bales to the hay mow?? Since farmers are all going to big bales, there should be some sitting around unused? It would seem easy to convert one to belt to move firewood.

My uncle used to have a crawlspace under his house. He seemed to think busy hands kept boys out of trouble? So he put an old elevator powered with an electric motor in the crawl space. And put his 3 sons to work digging a basement one winter. It worked very well on both accounts.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 07, 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 02:51 PM

The smart thing would be to make kids stack it.

"Why shoot, when I was a kid I would have that stacked before breakfast. Young whippersnappers nowadays ain't good fer nuthin!!!"

Hmm have you looked in the mirror lately/ None of us are as young as we once were??

#20 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 03:53 PM

Hmm have you looked in the mirror lately/ None of us are as young as we once were??

Noooo! You don't say!

• superaben said thank you

#21 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 05:19 PM

Firewood can be a lot of work. The fewer times you have to handle it the better. I agree with not keeping wood in the house during the summer. It usually ends up making the basement damp and musty. Nice looking tractor and wood chute. A SCUT is a big step up from most GT's. 

#22 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 05:26 PM

Very nice tractor. Assuming the chimney pipe in the first pic is your stove, could you open up some of your cement blocks & have a chute there close to the stove. Like you mentioned digging an opening there would be better & you could put a set of the nice steel cellar doors over the opening. I remember those old coal chutes when I was a kid...good memories.

• David Brown said thank you

#23 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 11:10 AM

Very nice tractor. Assuming the chimney pipe in the first pic is your stove, could you open up some of your cement blocks & have a chute there close to the stove. Like you mentioned digging an opening there would be better & you could put a set of the nice steel cellar doors over the opening. I remember those old coal chutes when I was a kid...good memories.

That's exactly where I thought about doing this.  I'll probably never do it as there are many other projects ahead of this one because what I do works.  It's not all that bad and it may just keep me young.

• Sawdust said thank you

#24 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 01:20 PM

Great lookin machine!  I think my neighbor just got one...he was driving all over in the snow with it yesterday, and not really doing anything with it.  I had never seen it over there before, but will have to go explore.  I've heard nothing but good things about those.

#25 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 12:53 AM

How about keeping your ramp up off the floor and stuffing your cart under it so when you slid wood down its in the cart. Then go down and move your cart load.. Its one less handling of firewood..

#26 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 12:55 AM

BTW.. Nice tractor.. I have wondered how just a blade on front would do.. How do you like it? Will it push a good pile of snow?

#27 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 05:36 AM

BTW.. Nice tractor.. I have wondered how just a blade on front would do.. How do you like it? Will it push a good pile of snow?

Well my cart is nothing more than a dolly that converts into a 4 wheel dolly.  I would be pretty talented if I could slide wood down the chute and stack it on the dolly! LOL!  Seriously, I have actually given that very idea some thought in the past.  At present, I really don't have the space down there that would permit such a luxury.  Rest assured, if I ever do in the future, I may try this.

As for the blade, This is the same set up I've used all my life, just a little fancier.  I know my old Power Kings could move a mountain of snow with the blade but of course there are limits.  The last time we got a big snow (30" plus overnight) it was time to use the high lift.  This was when my snow arsenal consisted of two Power Kings.  One with a blade and one with a FEL.  I may have been able to do it with the blade but I wanted to be able to lift and stack high for that one because I knew there was more coming.  We haven't recieved enough snow this year yet to assess the new blade.  Been out a couple of times with it and it's done great.  The secret to using just a blade is to always push the snow back further than you think you need to.  Too many people make the mistake of stopping at the edge of the driveway and then run into trouble if it keeps snowing.  You have to keep pushing it back to make room and you should never wait till the storm is over, especially if you use a smaller machine.  Going out in the middle of the storm will ease the burden of trying to push everything all at once.  It makes for some really cool pictures TO BE POSTED HERE as well.  Hint.

#28 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 10:15 AM

Well my cart is nothing more than a dolly that converts into a 4 wheel dolly.  I would be pretty talented if I could slide wood down the chute and stack it on the dolly! LOL!  Seriously, I have actually given that very idea some thought in the past.  At present, I really don't have the space down there that would permit such a luxury.  Rest assured, if I ever do in the future, I may try this.

As for the blade, This is the same set up I've used all my life, just a little fancier.  I know my old Power Kings could move a mountain of snow with the blade but of course there are limits.  The last time we got a big snow (30" plus overnight) it was time to use the high lift.  This was when my snow arsenal consisted of two Power Kings.  One with a blade and one with a FEL.  I may have been able to do it with the blade but I wanted to be able to lift and stack high for that one because I knew there was more coming.  We haven't recieved enough snow this year yet to assess the new blade.  Been out a couple of times with it and it's done great.  The secret to using just a blade is to always push the snow back further than you think you need to.  Too many people make the mistake of stopping at the edge of the driveway and then run into trouble if it keeps snowing.  You have to keep pushing it back to make room and you should never wait till the storm is over, especially if you use a smaller machine.  Going out in the middle of the storm will ease the burden of trying to push everything all at once.  It makes for some really cool pictures TO BE POSTED HERE as well.  Hint.

You are right Jeff! On my hill where the wind always blows if you don't push the snow way back it makes a catch basin and drifts in twice as fast as it did before. I try to get it back far enough the drift disipates before it gets to the drive. Then if the wind is in the right direction it blows the drive clear.

#29 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 11:21 PM

You know, when I bought this tractor I had some off the wall expectation that I would get a hat or something with a purchase of a tractor.  After not getting one I just figured a guy had to buy an actual farm tractor to get a hat.  Well, wouldn't you know it, when the wife and I came home from doing the last of the Christmas shopping, we found a box on our front porch.  Neither of us ordered anything.  When I noticed it was from AGCO I told my wife in jest that they finally sent me a hat.  I opened the box and there was a Massey Ferguson limited edition owners hat from AGCO.  Merry Christmas to me!

GEDC0562.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#30 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts