#16 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted December 13, 2013 - 07:29 PM

Got a few Brochures off epay. One came today, supposed to be a 77 year. I like the H16XL, the QT 16 and in back the heavy HT20.

Doesn't say what brand engines. Is the HT 20 the 19.9 Kohler K19?  The smaller 17hp never had good rep, but maybe fixed by this time?  Qt shows a twin, Not sure if Kohler, Briggs or Onan?   The H16 must be a single. Zat Tec?  I would like to stay away from Tecs if possible. 

Is an HT20 or maybe the 23 too, not shown here, a hard to find tractor and lots of money?  Think that looks like one to hunt for.

What is it with QT being "quiet"?  All the brands around this time seemed to make quiet models. Fords, Deeres, MTD's all went that way.  Must have run out of "tricks" to get homeowners to want a GT and this was sales item to draw customers?  I hate all that fiberglass inside hood and insulations that by time I get them is half faling out or is gone completely. Makes quite a mess.

#17 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted December 13, 2013 - 07:39 PM

I think the Quiet models were due to new restrictions being rammed down the throats of the manufactures.

This article should explain the reasoning a bit more http://books.google....lens QT&f=false

#18 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 09:08 AM

Got a few Brochures off epay. One came today, supposed to be a 77 year. I like the H16XL, the QT 16 and in back the heavy HT20.

Doesn't say what brand engines. Is the HT 20 the 19.9 Kohler K19?  The smaller 17hp never had good rep, but maybe fixed by this time?  Qt shows a twin, Not sure if Kohler, Briggs or Onan?   The H16 must be a single. Zat Tec?  I would like to stay away from Tecs if possible. 

Is an HT20 or maybe the 23 too, not shown here, a hard to find tractor and lots of money?  Think that looks like one to hunt for.

What is it with QT being "quiet"?  All the brands around this time seemed to make quiet models. Fords, Deeres, MTD's all went that way.  Must have run out of "tricks" to get homeowners to want a GT and this was sales item to draw customers?  I hate all that fiberglass inside hood and insulations that by time I get them is half faling out or is gone completely. Makes quite a mess.

The HT20 is the 19.9hp Twin kohler model k532 the HT23 was a kohler k582 twin. The QS16 used a single cylinder kohler 16hp and the QT16 used a twin onan 16hp and the QT17 was a twin kohler and it could be a model KT17 series 1 or 2

As for not liking the Tecumseh engine stay away from the XL series as most of them were Tecumseh but a hand full had a briggs in them. The eliminator series that came out around the early to mid 80's would be something to look for as they are the style you are looking for. The were models like the 5017,5018 and 5020 as the used a twin kohler of the magnum series engines.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you