#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 04:48 PM

OK, in past ignored Bolens tractors.  I late 70's and early  80's used to drive by a dealer near me and once in awhile stop in and see what was there.  I began to like the bigger White and green trimmed ones. Seems most were a G**** for gear and H**** for Hydro and usually had the HP in number then?  Always seemed to have Tec engines, that I didn't like. SO, where can I get a picture list with models made by bolens to look and pick out a likable model to go look at?  I've also like the foreign made big Deisels and don't know what those models are. Can get same list with pix?  I DO see lots of the late models in White/green that are just Lawn tractors and don't care for them, most had vertical engines I think. I would like pedal hydro control and maybe a 3pt or other heavy hitch. Bolens seems to have little exposure here in NE Indiana. Not sure when they were done and bought by MTD or whatever?  What can I consider the end date for model that is still Bolens then?

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 05:05 PM

70's and 80's your looking at XL series, Eliminator, DuraTrac, QT/QS series

There's way too many models to list Here.

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 05:18 PM

Sorry, those links just say "couldn't find that" when I click on them. They here on forums or elsewhere?

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 05:24 PM

Hmm... since those pages at sonnys are no longer maintained they don't seem to be a valid link anymore.

If you google "Sonnys Bolens" to get on the site you can look at the manuals section to get a better idea of what tractors were made in that era.

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 06:33 PM

Sonny's Bolens" looks like good place and in Portland,IN even.  Seems like 5000 series and Medium Frame XL's in 16 or 18 look good and type I remember. QT OK, cept the KT17 engines. I see a 19 version of that, might be better. Bet I should leave those out of my choices tho. I'll keep eyes open in future for  XL's and 5000's then. Might have to do searches on epay, see what might show up and for how much. Remember....."I'm getting out of GT's"!   :smilewink:

#6 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 06:48 PM

Also Large (channel) Frames were made in the 70's and 80's. They primarily used Kohler twins in the 1886, HT20, and HT23. Based on the HT23 chassis and hydro, the HT20D used a Wisconsin (Ducati) air-cooled diesel twin and the HDT1000 used a 3-cyl. Mitsubishi diesel.

• sacsr said thank you

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 06:51 PM

Just so you know, Sonny's no longer exists...... The place is in shambles. The website was built on a free hosting site which is why it is still up.

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 07:24 PM

In 1978, Bolens imported SCUTs that were built by Iseki in Japan. 2 cylinder Mitsubishi diesels, 3 speed rear pto, ( 454/724/1185) and a Category 1 3 point hitch. 3 gears with a high and low range, 2 and 4 wheel drive.

G152 - 2 wd, 15 hp

G154 - 4 wd, 15 hp

G172 - 2 wd, 17 hp

G174 - 4wd, 17 hp

After a few years, the engine was upped to a 3 cylinder and then a couple years later they added hydro models. H1702 and H1704.

This is a first year ('78) Bolens G152, the first year can be identified by the red hood stickers, later years had green stickers.

post-8002-0-46416800-1377650435.jpg

• sacsr said thank you

#9 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 01:19 AM

OK, in past ignored Bolens tractors.  I late 70's and early  80's used to drive by a dealer near me and once in awhile stop in and see what was there.  I began to like the bigger White and green trimmed ones. Seems most were a G**** for gear and H**** for Hydro and usually had the HP in number then?  Always seemed to have Tec engines, that I didn't like. SO, where can I get a picture list with models made by bolens to look and pick out a likable model to go look at?  I've also like the foreign made big Deisels and don't know what those models are. Can get same list with pix?  I DO see lots of the late models in White/green that are just Lawn tractors and don't care for them, most had vertical engines I think. I would like pedal hydro control and maybe a 3pt or other heavy hitch. Bolens seems to have little exposure here in NE Indiana. Not sure when they were done and bought by MTD or whatever?  What can I consider the end date for model that is still Bolens then?

I have 2 large frame Bolens--an 1886 and an HT23.  The HT23 has a loader. 

I've owned a lot of GTs--Cub Cadets, John Deere's, Case, Sears, etc. but the Large Frame Bolens are one of my favorites... They have good ground clearance, are relatively easy to get on and off of (no levers or large  knobs in the center), and have a foot shuttle for the hydro.  The only real downside for the older LFs is they didn't have power steering--though several people have added it to their machines, and mine will get it as well as soon as I'm able...

Although I do own a Sears GT16, I'm not a big fan of Belt Drive tractors--give me a shaft drive anyday. 

Anyway, I'd look hard at the Large Frame Bolens, and the Iseki-made SCUTs...

Smitty

#10 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 10:20 AM

If you like red, the DuraTrac line was available in a Troy-bilt version after they bought Bolens.  GTX-18 or GTX-20 would be the models you're looking for.  They did have an optional 3-point but they seem to be pretty rare.

By the way, a list of all models with a corresponding picture would be a great thread to have stickied at the top of the sub-forum. :thumbs:

• OldBuzzard said thank you

#11 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 01:24 PM

I would suggest looking at this video - It's one that Justin put up of his tractor and some family and friend's from a plow day last year - It's got some cool shots and shows just about everything from 1886's, HT20's, and HT23's.

https://www.youtube....4560736F6708752

Here is another one he did of some snow removal.

I had to share these because I think he did a great job recording these.

Nick

Edited by nglauer, December 07, 2013 - 01:24 PM.

• LPBolens said thank you

#12 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 05:41 PM

ARE cool videos! I had to click on the puller crashes one too!  Guess they are foreign, but lots of money  in those and all go UP in smoke and flames in 2 seconds!!

• nglauer said thank you

#13 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 10:28 PM

The last video says it's been blocked on copyright grounds :(

#14 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 11:57 PM

... By the way, a list of all models with a corresponding picture would be a great thread to have stickied at the top of the sub-forum. :thumbs:

There is a Sticky on the Large Frames, and at one tine Brian had a very good one on the Tube Frames as well.

He deleted it, and told me in a PM when I asked what happened to it, that he was going to replace it with an updated version.

That was some time ago.

It would be nice to have one again.

#15 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 02:39 PM

The last video says it's been blocked on copyright grounds :(

I'm not sure why it did that... seems to be working for me though. Justin has some cool videos - especially of his Can Am Commander - another toy that i'd love to have. His family has some nice LF's - I love his dads HT23 with the 15 inch rear wheels and oversized tires. It just looks mean with the bigger tires front and back... but it would probably render a belly mower unfittable.