Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,610 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 03:01 PM

When I answer, some computor is telling me they have "important information" about my credit card account.  Also the robo/voice says "press 1 to talk to an advisor,  this is your final notice!!". Then it spews something about the possibility of lowering my interest rate. 

Usually I hang up as soon as I hear a computor on the other end.  I have been getting this call often, so today I am going to screw with someone - I'm just in that kind of mood. 

I press 1 and get this soothing elevator music - but it doesn't last long.  In 3 seconds the advisor comes on the line - she has a pretty voice - and appears to be geographically close [no fer-ah-ner accent]  and asked if I was calling about lowering my interest rate.  I'm thinking YOU CALLED ME!  but remain calm.   "Why yes I am" I say.  She says she must ask me a few questions to se if I qualify.

I already know I do NOT qualify!!!!!!  

She proceeds to ask me how much credit card debt I have.  This is when I let the cat out of the bag and tell her I don't have any debt or even own a credit card so how much lower does she think my interest rate can get.  :smilewink:

This gal seemed to lose her sunny disposition real quick.  She asked If I just pressed 1 to hear her voice. 

Now I'm kind of a softy - and it IS near Christmas................... 

I said "I just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas" 

Her attitude vastly improves. 

She says well that sweet and a Merry Christmas to you too! 

The call was short and we parted on friendly terms and I won't feel guilty later for chewing someone out that really doesn't deserve to be chewed on. 

I have a very low opinion of the profession tele-marketers have in general mostly because I used to work the night shift and sleep in the daytime. 

Maybe this person can't find any other job but at least she HAS a job.  That is much better than able bodied persons expecting someone [me] to make a living for them.

So there you have it folks,  Gtractor is a softy  :poke:

Edited by Gtractor, December 06, 2013 - 03:03 PM.

• MH81, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 10 others have said thanks

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 03:15 PM

NICE!  That reminds me of a time when this dude called me about a home security system to protect my belongings.  I said I didn't have any belongings worth protecting.  He said "you must have something of value that you don't want stolen"  I said no, everything I have is pretty old and in bad shape, if someone wants it that badly, they can have it.  He finally said "sir, I really think you need to consider one of these systems for your home".  I said. look, I have good neighbors with big guns who are not afraid to use them.  I don't need the system.  We didn't part on as good of terms as you and your caller and his voice wasn't nearly as nice.

• Gtractor, Traill95 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 03:18 PM

We've had the same call many times, and like you, we don't do the credit card thing. It sure is a pain in the neck to try and get to the phone and then it's just a nuisance call, but if it's a local--- I mean not out-sourced to India call, I'm like you and appreciate that the person is at least trying to earn a living. I often wonder if they make anything on a non productive call, or are they paid by the hour? Sure glad it's not my job, I'd find the negativity and constant rejection pretty hard to take as a career choice.
  • Gtractor, Traill95 and JRJ have said thanks

#4 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 04:56 PM

I'm not as patient as you, I hang upon all telemarketers!  I do have two credit cards, but haven't paid interest on anything in over 20 years.  As far as I'm concerned, telemarketers need to get a real job & quit bothering honest people!  ~~  Lowell

• Gtractor, Traill95, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#5 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,619 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 05:25 PM

We have an answering machine and don't pick up on anyone we don't recognize. Also, we listed on the national Do-Not-Call list. Now that list isn't 100%; politicians think they are immune.

• Gtractor, Traill95, superaben and 2 others have said thanks

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 05:29 PM

I too worked nights and TRIED to sleep days...(day sleep is not as good as night sleep) and I get this call the I have won a free Bahama Cruise.

WOW, All they needed was my credit card number to verify it was me.

I said, "You called ME, didn't you?", and they said yes.

I said "I answered the phone, didn't I?", and they said yes.

So then I said, "Well, it must be ME!"

I told them they were out of their mind if they thought I would give them my credit card number to verify a free cruise!

If I would have been stupid enough to give them my number, I would have paid for someone else's cruise!

• Gtractor, LilysDad, robert_p43 and 2 others have said thanks

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 06:42 PM

I've was told that telemarketers get paid on an escalating scale. The longer they

have the line open, the more they get per second. I would think they get commission too.

• Gtractor, Traill95 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 09:33 PM

Telemarketers get paid many ways, some by their sells, some by there hours and some by numbers dialed. I know this because my wife  is confined to a wheel chair most of the time (she has limited walking ability and no use of her right arm) and works as a telemarketer. She went thru several companies before she found one that suited her. She only calls people that have filled out an informational form or have made some sort of inquiry as to the product the company she works for is selling. I have told her many times she doesn't need to work and she has told me many times that she needs to feel productive. (rule #2,, never argue with a determined woman). She never complains about my Tractors so I no longer complain about her working.

• Gtractor, IamSherwood, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#9 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 10:09 AM

I love telemarketers, they are endlessly amusing. I usually get them talking and lead it to their pay. I then explain that I run a phone sex company with great pay and ask them if they are interested in making ALOT more money. The hook is set, so I ask for an audition. The women most times will give one, I get good laughs out of this. The men, on the other hand have to be convinced that just because they talk sex to other men doesnt make them gay and the pay is great. After the audition, I talk a little more and tell them to call some fictitous phone number I make up and ask for so and so so I can get them signed up. I ask to speak to the supervisor so I can brag on them and tell the sup how great the person was. When the supervisor gets on I tell them that the person just tried to have phone sex with me.

Another good one is to Start acting like the local PD and questioning the telemarketer. Tell them that this phone has been tapped and used in a murder conspiracy and start getting their personal information.