22 replies to this topic

#1 jj69chev OFFLINE  

jj69chev

Tractorholic

• Member No: 626
  • 24 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 04:26 PM

I have a 1969 112 and it seems to be extremely loud. is that the norm ? i bought a new muffler from JD and that didn't help. Is there a way to quit it so it doesnt deafen my unborn children?

#2 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 06:13 PM

Has anybody tried the "Super Trapp Quiet muffler"? I was just looking at them online and wondering how quiet they were.

#3 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 06:16 PM

The Kohlers in my Fords are pretty loud too.....sort of a popping sound....I would like to find a nice quiet muffler.

#4 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 07:37 PM

As somebody who ran Cherry Bombs on my trucks for years, I have to say that I understand the situation, but fail to see the problem.

#5 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 07:50 PM

You youngsters better be careful about running all them loud machines, It can cause your children to be born naked. I'm not kiddin, both my kids were born naked as a jaybird.

GEORGE

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 08:01 PM

Kohlers do tend to be a little louder. If it is just a can muffler there is only so much they can do to help quiet the exhaust. You would have to switch to a different muffler type to get any results or build your own. If I am not mistaken there is a thread on here somewhere about building your own muffler.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 08:02 PM

Kohlers do tend to be a little louder. If it is just a can muffler there is only so much they can do to help quiet the exhaust. You would have to switch to a different muffler type to get any results or build your own. If I am not mistaken there is a thread on here somewhere about building your own muffler.

#8 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 08:32 PM

When I made the muffler for my Allis 712H {now} I started with a 1 1/2" dia pipe drilled 3/16 holes all around.The second layer I used a 2 " pipe did the same with the holes.The third layer I used a 2 1/2" pipe did the same thing then the outer shell was a 3 1/4" pipe.It's fairly quiet now and it's even quieter when I put another muffler onto the outlet pipe.I didn't take any pics of the build not sure why.:(Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• grill & muffler 002 (Small).jpg
  • grill & muffler 001 (Small).jpg

#9 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1538
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 08:36 PM

The older I get, the more I like quiet. But I don't want to give up performance. In my younger days, I would take a stock Harley performance muffler and remove the packing to make it sound better. And better it did sound. The wife said when she heard what sounded like a helicopter coming down the street, she knew it was me. But can we take a quiet muffler and adapt it to our Kohlers? I'd love to try. What ideas do we have?

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 09:10 PM

You youngsters better be careful about running all them loud machines, It can cause your children to be born naked. I'm not kiddin, both my kids were born naked as a jaybird. GEORGE

:bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl: I thought it was funny George. I was not aware that, that's what caused that! All four of mine were born naked as well LOL!

I recently cut into one of the nelson mufflers off of a 12 HP Kohler that was shot. There are 2 baffles inside that divide the area into 3 parts. I think if you found a suitable packing material to put in the center section it would be quieter. That said, I also think that if there were an outer layer over the outside of the muffler with packing inside it (no exhaust flow through this part) that would go a long way to quieting things down. Just a theory for now, but I intend to build one when I find some suitable stainless pipe.

#11 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 09:20 PM

This is what's inside your standard reverse flow muffler you find on cars, If you can make something like this to fit you tractor using the same size pipe that's on your engine it should work and be quieter.
reverse flow muffler.jpg

This is what the inside of a Honda or the China clone muffler looks like.
how-to-repair-small-engines-18.jpg

This is a Cub Cadet muffler that you can get at TSC, its made for 12hp Kohlers and is fairly quiet.
muffler 006.jpg

Your standard screw on pepper top mufflers are cheap to buy and noisy.

Attached Thumbnails

• ChamberedTurboMuffler.jpg

• caseguy said thank you

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 10:18 PM

Here's my thread from building my own muffler from scratch. Will last likely forever. Chuck owns the tractor now, so ask him...she's easy on the ears, and NO power loss.
http://gardentractor...r-scratch-1785/

#13 jj69chev OFFLINE  

jj69chev

Tractorholic

• Member No: 626
  • 24 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 08:09 AM

As somebody who ran Cherry Bombs on my trucks for years, I have to say that I understand the situation, but fail to see the problem.

I understand it on my truck, but it is different on the tractor, if I mow without muff my head is pounding and ears ringing for hours

You youngsters better be careful about running all them loud machines, It can cause your children to be born naked. I'm not kiddin, both my kids were born naked as a jaybird.
GEORGE

Well that explains why those kids were naked
Well i found a site through GTT kirk engines had a build of basically a glass pack he said it was quieter but with better tone. Seeing I have two mufflers for it now I may try to go that route. If I do I will post pick of the build and update the status

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 09:15 AM

Glass packing eventually burns away, so I go with just steel.

#15 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 09:40 AM

I understand it on my truck, but it is different on the tractor, if I mow without muff my head is pounding and ears ringing for hours

Ah, that's when you choose the Supersuckers option. That's when you put on your Ipod and play the Supersuckers loud enough to be heard over the engine noise, that way your hearing loss is from loud music instead of loud engines.