#124 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Glad to hear your perseverance paid off, Ryan. Good job.

I might be convinced to switch from Chevy over to Ford after keeping up with this thread. I go out, turn the key, and vroom! Where's the fun in that?

• Ryan313 said thank you

#125 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 09:41 PM

I was 49 posts behind and real happy to get caught up and see you won the battle.  Good job Ryan :thumbs:  :thumbs:

• Ryan313 said thank you

#126 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 11:36 PM

I'm surprised it ran for you after calling it a stupid diesel! Glad you two reconciled! Nothing like a diesel coming to life after being down awhile. Great news!!

(Co-worker with a non-"Furd" had to be towed to the shop yesterday, I offered to put him at the end of a tow strap behind my "Furd" but his pride wouldn't allow it. Know what the non-"Furd" owner did to "break" his Duramax?? It was out of fuel!!!  LOL!!! Gauge was reading 1/4 tank, but was dry! Typical Chivvy.... making you "think" you have more than you really have.  :poke:  I asked him if he ever tells his dad ("Furd" guy) when his Duramax is having issues..... NOPE!!!  Sad...)

• Ryan313 said thank you

#127 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 07:06 AM

Thanks guys! I am glad that I got it going! I am proud of myself in the fact that nobody else was able to get it going, and I did it all by myself... With some help from you guys of course. :D

I just went out to start the S10 so it could warm up a bit, and I decided to try the Ford, started right up! It is 23 degrees, it was not plugged in, and it started as fast I could have hoped it would!
  • olcowhand, powerking56, nra1ifer and 1 other said thanks

#128 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 08:13 AM

Did you cycle the glow plugs more then once or did she hit the first time?

Sounds like you've got it right!!

• Ryan313 said thank you

#129 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 08:33 AM

Glad to hear you got it running. Hope it keeps running for you.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#130 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 10:46 AM

Did you cycle the glow plugs more then once or did she hit the first time?

Sounds like you've got it right!!

Nope, turned the key, and once the wait to start light went off, I was able to start it right up!
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#131 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 11:38 AM

That means that it has GREAT compression and a good working Glow plugs/ driver..

• Ryan313 and backwoods have said thanks

#132 CRE1992 OFFLINE  

CRE1992
  • Member No: 11285
  • 28 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 12:29 PM

I'm surprised it ran for you after calling it a stupid diesel! Glad you two reconciled! Nothing like a diesel coming to life after being down awhile. Great news!!

(Co-worker with a non-"Furd" had to be towed to the shop yesterday, I offered to put him at the end of a tow strap behind my "Furd" but his pride wouldn't allow it. Know what the non-"Furd" owner did to "break" his Duramax?? It was out of fuel!!!  LOL!!! Gauge was reading 1/4 tank, but was dry! Typical Chivvy.... making you "think" you have more than you really have.  :poke:  I asked him if he ever tells his dad ("Furd" guy) when his Duramax is having issues..... NOPE!!!  Sad...)

Hate on Chevy's all you want but at least there engine has been running strong for a little over a decade and has not had to change engines like they are going out of style to find a suitable replacement for the 7.3L. All that guy had to do was add fuel, loosen the fuel filter, turn the key to pump the lines a couple of times and re tighten the filter and he should of been good. Don't blame the truck for having an inadequate owner and operator!

In all seriousness I am happy that you got the truck running Ryan. Just make sure to check your brake lines before going on a cruise with it. That 7.3L should last a long time. My dad had an 2003 F350 7.3L and it was a great truck, we only sold it because it wasn't 4wd. My neighbor has a 2001 F250 that has 443,000 miles on it which had towed a landscaping trailer and plowed it whole life. Next time I am over her house I will get a picture of it and the odometer. I like the older Fords... such as the OBS and the early 2000's but don't hate on my Duramax! My friend has a OBS 1996 7.3L which we use as a work truck for our business and for fun. I will post a picture of it with a flag pole, that happened to turn into a stripper pole at Diesel Truckin Nationals at Raceway park in Englishtown.. So long live the 7.3L! I have pictures and videos but they are not GTT.com friendly lol!

c3b52f521d3f11e385e622000a9e5ac9_7.jpg

d2c27dee1eeb11e3b10a22000ab69271_7.jpg

My 2013 2500HD gets 22mpg on the highway with the cruise control set at 72. And 16.5 mpg towing a 7,000lbs empty goose neck horse trailer. Full I was getting about 14.5-15mpg. You can go up a steep grade and she doesn't down shift. So I am happy to say I will gladly defend my truck and engine.

1a1f0baef00111e29e3522000a9f18ab_7.jpg

98f01dba487b11e3b7830afd819a2d90_8.jpg

4f4fa164075111e39f3d22000aaa21f1_7.jpg

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and Ryan313 have said thanks

#133 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 12:54 PM

Charles, they have been changing engines so much because of changing emission regulations. I agree with you though, 6.0 was a disaster, 6.4 wasn't that great, and I haven't heard much about the 6.7, but they don't seem to be to bad. I forgot to mention that I was moving it back and forth in the driveway yesterday ad lost two brake lines; one line controles the left rear wheels, the other is for the right rear wheels. I am going to put new lines on it today.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#134 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 01:09 PM

Charles, In all fairness the 6.5 Duramax had a lot of issues in it's first 3 years of being used and GM was looking at replacing it with the very same Cummins that Dodge used at that time. Before GM could get a contract, Dodge tried up the rights so that GM couldn't use it. Shortly after that GM was able to fix the reliability issues it had with the 6.5. Not trying to start anything or step on toes, just setting the fact straight.

Btw, That is a very nice looking 2500HD and great to hear how well it is on fuel. I was and still am a Chevy man, just had very good luck with the Ford 6.9-7.3 diesel super duty trucks.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#135 CRE1992 OFFLINE  

CRE1992
  • Member No: 11285
  • 28 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 01:16 PM

Charles, they have been changing engines so much because of changing emission regulations. I agree with you though, 6.0 was a disaster, 6.4 wasn't that great, and I haven't heard much about the 6.7, but they don't seem to be to bad. I forgot to mention that I was moving it back and forth in the driveway yesterday ad lost two brake lines; one line controles the left rear wheels, the other is for the right rear wheels. I am going to put new lines on it today.

I figured after sitting for awhile most brake lines begin to deteriorate. The rubber cracks or gets weaker etc... You might want to replace the front hoses too while you are at it. Not the first time its happened to me. Which is why I said be careful haha. That is why when they designed master cylinders to have separate sections for the front and back brakes for at least the last 20 years or so. Also check the steel lines that run from the master cylinder to the back they can rust and develop pin hole leaks which lets water and air enter the system which will obviously cause you problems. I would do a full tune up on everything if you can afford it. I wish you the best of luck with this truck, though it will probably not be cheap to get it up to snuff it will most certainly be worth it. If you have any questions feel free to pick my brain. And good luck with your welding business, who knows I might need something welded up one day. I am pretty good with the 7.3L's, I work on my friends all of the time. She was originially a gas job, so he swapped in a 7.3 and had a bunch of complications. But I am pretty sure we got her all sorted out now.

• Ryan313 said thank you