• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#91 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 12:52 PM

if i remember right reflective vinyl is made with alum tape/ vinyl type material one so it holds up to just about everything an so it doesnt fade out like most decals

• Ryan313 said thank you

#92 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 10:04 AM

Neighbor Herby used to work at a body supply place a few years ago, so he went there and got some special solvent to remove the glue. The solvent works, but I have to heat the glue, rub solvent on it, then rub the glue off with a rag. On the front fender, it took me 40 minutes to remove the glue from the "24 HR." stickers! At least I am able to get the glue off now; removing the stickers will likely take me a while, and I will do it as I get time.

The starter was ahead of schedule on shipping, and I got it yesterday; of course, I wasted no time getting it put on! I put it on and filled the HPOP reservior with oil; then, I tried to start it. It did not start so I plugged it in, hoping that it was just because it was so cold. About 5 hours later it did not start. I am going to change out the fuel, and try again.
  • bgkid2966 said thank you

#93 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 09:15 PM

I pumped all of the fuel out today; I was going to do it after the storm was over, and I had everything plowed, but I got tired of looking out the window at the truck, so I went out in the storm to pump it out. Lol

It was pretty easy, since the floor is rotted out in the bed all I had to do is take off the tank cover and drop a hose in to pump it out. I still have to take the fuel out of the line, but that should be easy. I am hopeful that tomorrow I can put some fuel in it and fire it up.
  • olcowhand and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#94 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 01:24 AM

Wishing you luck, Ryan.

My PowerStroke must be having sympathy pains..... had to buy two new batteries today, and I'm thinking if pulling the starter to have it tested.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#95 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 06:49 AM

Ryan, make sure that once the fuel pump kicks on you're getting fuel up in the filter housing, there should be a Schrader valve up on the fuel filter housing somewhere where you can test for pressure. Also, make sure the glow plug solenoid is working as it likely won't fire if they aren't heating up. Double check the oil level in the HPOP reservoir and give it a shot. There's a water drain lever on the fuel bowl as well so you can empty that and let it fill with fresh fuel. If it still won't fire then you'll need some more sophisticated diagnostic equipment to see what's going on when you start cranking her over, good luck!
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#96 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 06:51 AM

Oh and nra, a clip on ammeter near the starter with someone else hitting the key should be all it takes to see if your starter is good. I don't know what the amp draw specs are off the top of my head but I'm sure they aren't too hard to find...Good luck to you too!
  • nra1ifer and Ryan313 have said thanks

#97 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 03:49 PM

Wishing you luck, Ryan.

My PowerStroke must be having sympathy pains..... had to buy two new batteries today, and I'm thinking if pulling the starter to have it tested.

Good luck with that top bolt. Remember that craftsman (and other companies) will give you a new wrench if one happens to "brake" in the process of removing the starter.
  • nra1ifer said thank you

#98 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 03:51 PM

I just put new fuel in it and it still did not start. The heater was only plugged in for about 30 minutes, so I will leave it for a while and try again once it has some time to heat up a bit.

#99 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 03:59 PM

A block heater on a large engine will take at least 2 hours on a large engine like this.  Our Cat loader takes at least 2 to 3 hours, longer when below 20F before it will do much good, and it's lots smaller than 7.3L.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#100 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 04:11 PM

I just borrowed Neighbor Herby's code reader, and there are no codes! Hoping that it will start after being plugged in.

Daniel, I know it will need to be plugged in for quite a while, I will probably now try it for at least another 3-4 hours.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#101 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,728 Thanks
  • 4,286 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 06:07 PM

Ryan, a code reader is about useless for this. You need a scan tool that will show you actual data stream readings. That will allow you to watch the injector control pressure while cranking. Would the code reader allow you to do a key on-eng off test? A good 7.3 should fire off the glow plugs at 20*.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#102 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 06:21 PM

Ryan, a code reader is about useless for this. You need a scan tool that will show you actual data stream readings. That will allow you to watch the injector control pressure while cranking. Would the code reader allow you to do a key on-eng off test? A good 7.3 should fire off the glow plugs at 20*.

Yes, a code reader can be used with the engine off. Neighbor Brian works for a Ford dealer, and said he can bring the computer home if he needs to.

#103 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,728 Thanks
  • 4,286 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 08:00 PM

Ryan, I realize the code reader can be used with the eng off. What I was referring to was if it would command the computer to do the key on-eng off self test and look for any parameters that are off to start with. I think your best bet is to get Brian to bring home the factory scan tool and test it.

• Texas Deere and Horse and Ryan313 have said thanks

#104 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 10:36 PM

Good luck with that top bolt. Remember that craftsman (and other companies) will give you a new wrench if one happens to "brake" in the process of removing the starter.

I have had that off before.... seems like I reached it with an extension and/or a swivel joint. I don't remember having much difficulty with it.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#105 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 11:04 PM

I have had that off before.... seems like I reached it with an extension and/or a swivel joint. I don't remember having much difficulty with it.

Maybe I was at the wrong angle, because I tried several things before I ended up cutting the wrench. For me the ratchet either hit the crossmember, or did not reach up to the bolt.