• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 08:29 AM

If you haven't already checked the oil level in the upper reservoir, unscrew the plug that is in the top side and pour as much as you can in there. I'd rather fill it that way than wait for the engine to crank enough oil in it.

Are you certain that the fuel bowl is filling with fuel? You might need to drain that bowl a few times to purge the old fuel out of the lines. As a matter of fact, you can open the petcock on the fuel bowl, energize the fuel pump and/or let the engine crank awhile and push the fuel out that way.

And, are you absolutely sure that BOTH batteries are good after sitting for so long? Good batteries will spin the engine quickly. Low batteries might spin the engine enough to get it going, but low voltage/high amperage going to the starter will eventually ruin the starter.

I did check the oil level, it is 6-8 inches from the top of the reservior. It won't hurt anything if I directly fill the reservior with oil?

Yes, I took the filter out and it was filling with fuel just fine.

The batteries are brand new, and I thought they were dead, but it is a bad connection.
  • nra1ifer and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#77 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 08:57 AM

Ryan is this the plug and reservior your checking ? This is from Ford . If so it looks like you could add a lttle oil through the plug

Attached Thumbnails

• oil fill.jpeg

• Texas Deere and Horse and Ryan313 have said thanks

#78 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 08:58 AM

I did check the oil level, it is 6-8 inches from the top of the reservior. It won't hurt anything if I directly fill the reservior with oil?

Won't hurt a thing.... just check the dipstick to make sure the oil in the pan isn't too high to begin with. If it's OK, start with adding about a pint in the HPOP reservoir (you'll need a pretty narrow-tipped funnel.... a turkey baster without the bulb on it works great in mine) and see if it stays in there without draining into the oil pan.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#79 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 09:00 AM

Nra1fer, that's a good point about checking the batteries but if the starter is going out no batteries will save it, no matter how good they are. I've had 3 sets of batteries in my truck in the last 3 years (all replaced under warranty) and if the truck didn't fire right away in the cold that was all she wrote as the batteries would be almost dead after one attempt. I never even suspected the starter as it seemed to crank over fast enough. Well, the starter finally gave out and it wasn't til I replaced it that I realized what was happening. The new one spins the engine easily twice as fast and my batteries don't suffer either.

If there's any doubt you can test it if you can get ahold of one of those clip on amp draw meters, clip it on near the starter, crank it over and see if it's within spec...

I watched my buddy do one at his work (owner was complaining hard to start) starter was drawing 850 amps but somehow still working. New starter, truck fired almost instantly.

Thanks, that's great info. Good to have in my PowerStroke bag o'tricks. I'll have to find my clip-on ammeter and see how mine's doing.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#80 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 10:45 AM

I ended up running a second wire from the starter to the selionoid, it seemed like the easiest way to test it. I then turned they key and it cranked over very slowly a few times and stopped. Then I walked to the front if the truck and saw the wire was smoking! The wire is the same gauge as the original wire, so that is not the problem. Maybe the starter is bad? Should I have somebody turn it over and test it? I am afraid to turn it over because of that wire smoking.

#81 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 01:41 PM

pull the starter and take it to a parts store the can test them but from the sounds of it there could be a short in the solenoid from sitting so long. i cant really help on this matter as i havent worked on a diesel before or ever owned one but what knowledge i have i will offer up

• Ryan313 said thank you

#82 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 05:50 PM

I took the starter off, it really was not hard to get to at all. I also now have the perfect wench for getting the top bolt out of a 7.3 Powerstroke starter! :D

8813E67F-5820-495C-98B5-99020C41ED64.jpg

I took the starter to autozone and had them test it, the guy said it failed horribly! He gave me this ticket, I have no idea how to read it; he said it shows what the numbers are supposed to be, and what they are now.

2CA850E1-785B-4B7E-BF5A-8716DDA27CC2.jpg

At autozone a new starter is $160, on eBay I can get one for $90 and it will be here by Monday. I am going to order one tonight.

• olcowhand, Alc and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#83 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 08:13 PM

With a diesel, if it isn't spinning fast enough, it won't start no matter how good the engine is or how good all components are.

• Texas Deere and Horse and Ryan313 have said thanks

#84 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 03:18 AM

With a diesel, if it isn't spinning fast enough, it won't start no matter how good the engine is or how good all components are.

Boy isn't that the truth. Took me some getting used to coming from experience with gas engines only but since diesels run purely on compression if you don't have enough cranking rpm you can't build enough compression to fire it and there's no way around that. You can't get away with a weak starting system in a diesel!
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#85 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 07:02 PM

Yesterday I got a cheap heat gun from HF to start removing the stickers. Today I removed all but the orange stripe on the drivers door, and then everything on the front driver side fender. Most of the sticky stuff came off with the sticker, but some did not work well at all. The stripes, and ablout half of the lettering is reflective, this is so the truck would be seen on the side of the highway, and all of the glue from the reflective stickers is staying on the truck. I tried mineral spirits to remove it, but there is just to much. Also, heating the glue does not make a difference.

It is weird seeing the truck without the stickers, but the dramatic change in looks (remember I only saw the truck with the stickers since it was new) is kinda symbolic that the truck is mine now, and no longer my Dad's tire service truck.
  • Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#86 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 11, 2013 - 07:27 PM

So you guys can get an idea of what is reflective, here is a picture I just took with the flash.

D84AFB99-E2B1-438F-8BBF-2B38E4D2BCC1.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, bgkid2966 and 1 other said thanks

#87 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 11:26 AM

Pick your self up some plastic razor blades or a wide plastic putty knofe to aid in the removal so you dont bugger up the paint. The vinyl should change color if its heated to the right temp making it more pliable and should come off easier. And as for taking the left behind glue off try laquer thinner or pain thinner just test on a small spot before to make sure it wont effect your paint.

#88 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 11:38 AM

Have you ever seen one of these for removing vinyl stickers??

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B00063VT0G

#89 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 12:42 PM

Have you ever seen one of these for removing vinyl stickers??

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B00063VT0G

Yes, my dad actually borrowed something like tht remove the orange stripe from the hood when it started to dry rot and split. It worked well, but the guy he borrowed it from does not have it anymore.

#90 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 12:46 PM

Pick your self up some plastic razor blades or a wide plastic putty knofe to aid in the removal so you dont bugger up the paint. The vinyl should change color if its heated to the right temp making it more pliable and should come off easier. And as for taking the left behind glue off try laquer thinner or pain thinner just test on a small spot before to make sure it wont effect your paint.

I was using a plactic putty knife, but found it was easier without it. I am not sure what the reflective stickers are made of, I do not think it is vinyl. The backside looks like aluminum, but I know it isn't, unless there is a small layer of aluminum or something.

I may end up using lawyer thinner, I might even have some.