217 replies to this topic

#16 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 08:33 AM

Whatever you do, don't be lax about changing the oil in a 7.3, since they use oil pressure (up to about 3,000 psi) to fire the injectors the sheer loads that the oil sees are immense and it depletes the additives in the oil rapidly causing foaming and scarring of the injectors. Oil changes are cheap compared to injectors! You say it has a 98 model year engine, does that mean you have the mechanical fuel pump or is it electric? Btw, I would NOT use starting fluid in one of these diesels...a friend of mine bent a couple of connecting rods doing that. I'm not an expert on these engines but I have a good handle on them so ask away and I'll help however I can...
  • Texas Deere and Horse and Ryan313 have said thanks

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 10:30 AM

Ryan I can't help much on the diesel issues since I have never been around a Ford Diesel.

But, I seem to recall you mentioning putting a flatbed on that truck in another thread. Now that I see it has a nice service body on it, I think it would be wise to put a new floor in  the bed and use it. Yes I see a lot of Welding rigs with flatbeds, but a Mobile Welding platform calls for a lot of prep tools. Being able to lock up your tools in the service body would be a great asset.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#18 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 10:49 AM

Whatever you do, don't be lax about changing the oil in a 7.3, since they use oil pressure (up to about 3,000 psi) to fire the injectors the sheer loads that the oil sees are immense and it depletes the additives in the oil rapidly causing foaming and scarring of the injectors. Oil changes are cheap compared to injectors! You say it has a 98 model year engine, does that mean you have the mechanical fuel pump or is it electric? Btw, I would NOT use starting fluid in one of these diesels...a friend of mine bent a couple of connecting rods doing that. I'm not an expert on these engines but I have a good handle on them so ask away and I'll help however I can...

I am not entirely sure, it has the rotary pump on the top of the engine, but yesterday when I had the key on I thought I heard a fuel pump running. It was coming from the frame rail right where the pump would be so I am not sure. Since it was raining, and I just washed the truc the ground was muddy, and I did not want to crawl under the truck to look for the pump.

#19 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 10:53 AM

Ryan I can't help much on the diesel issues since I have never been around a Ford Diesel.
But, I seem to recall you mentioning putting a flatbed on that truck in another thread. Now that I see it has a nice service body on it, I think it would be wise to put a new floor in the bed and use it. Yes I see a lot of Welding rigs with flatbeds, but a Mobile Welding platform calls for a lot of prep tools. Being able to lock up your tools in the service body would be a great asset.

The reason I wanted to put a flatbed on it, is because I did not plan to make it a welding truck right away. Then when I was thinking about how to build the flatbed I noticed I was already thinking about how to put boxes and such on it... After that I just decided to leave the body on it since I already have tool space on it. Plus, I already have all the steel to put a new floor in, which I could probably do in an afternoon.

#20 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 04:35 PM

Here is what the bed looks like, pretty horrific! You can see that where most of the bed is missing, is where the channel supports where.

91A9240D-42F0-49AB-B311-28AA6229170E.jpg

Here is the list of codes; the top 3 are the codes and what they are, the bottom 3 are the causes.

CA5B7E13-487A-4965-ACC6-965E0A6CBEB4.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#21 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 05:28 PM

I am not entirely sure, it has the rotary pump on the top of the engine, but yesterday when I had the key on I thought I heard a fuel pump running. It was coming from the frame rail right where the pump would be so I am not sure. Since it was raining, and I just washed the truc the ground was muddy, and I did not want to crawl under the truck to look for the pump.

Ryan, The found thing under the little square cover is the fuel filter/water separator. Your truck has an electric primary fuel pump mounted on the drivers side frame rail under the cab. You have a high pressure pump just off to one side of the fuel filter and it should be mechanical.

IMG_20131206_162101_058.jpg

This is the cover over my filter on the 2001, 1999 has a more square smaller cover. I would take the cover off and loosen the filter, turn the key on and see if it pushes fuel out of the top of the filter housing. Don't worry about the fuel being a fire issue, it will run off the back of the engine and evaporate. Have you changed the filter?

The other I would do is plug in the block heater, it will thin the oil to help fire the injectors and warm up the engine making better compression.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#22 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 06:45 PM

Ryan, The found thing under the little square cover is the fuel filter/water separator. Your truck has an electric primary fuel pump mounted on the drivers side frame rail under the cab. You have a high pressure pump just off to one side of the fuel filter and it should be mechanical.

IMG_20131206_162101_058.jpg

This is the cover over my filter on the 2001, 1999 has a more square smaller cover. I would take the cover off and loosen the filter, turn the key on and see if it pushes fuel out of the top of the filter housing. Don't worry about the fuel being a fire issue, it will run off the back of the engine and evaporate. Have you changed the filter?

The other I would do is plug in the block heater, it will thin the oil to help fire the injectors and warm up the engine making better compression.

Ok that makes sense, I thought that was the fuel pump. Tomorrow is the last day of deer season so I won't get to it tomorrow, maybe Sunday. If not, then I will on Monday.

#23 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 06:56 PM

There is also a water drain on the back left side, little yellow handle that you can open to drain any water out of the separater. The filter top is part of the filter and will have either a 1/2" drive hole or a hex head molded into it to loosen and tighten it. If you replace the filter,25 to 30.00 at the parts store, make sure you use the correct o-ring, the filter will have 2 different o-rings in the box.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#24 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,719 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 07:11 PM

The KAM error is a common code if the thing has a performance chip. Wastegate won't keep it from running. Water in the fuel would be a problem but you should see it in the filter. Most likely with the code you have its more of a sensor or wiring problem. If it has a performance chip, you might take that out and check to make sure the contacts are clean. I've seen that cause a no start. If You can borrow the scan tool, you should be able to monitor the injection control pressure desired against the actual reading the computer is seeing. A good scan tool will also be able to run a key on-eng off self test and an injector buzz test to help locate problems.

• Texas Deere and Horse and Ryan313 have said thanks

#25 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 07:22 PM

The KAM error is a common code if the thing has a performance chip. Wastegate won't keep it from running. Water in the fuel would be a problem but you should see it in the filter. Most likely with the code you have its more of a sensor or wiring problem. If it has a performance chip, you might take that out and check to make sure the contacts are clean. I've seen that cause a no start. If You can borrow the scan tool, you should be able to monitor the injection control pressure desired against the actual reading the computer is seeing. A good scan tool will also be able to run a key on-eng off self test and an injector buzz test to help locate problems.

Where would I find a chip if it has one?

#26 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,719 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 09:04 AM

The chip plugged inside the PCM. You would have to remove the PCM and take the back cover off to see it. The PCM is down by the driver's kick panel. You have to take a bolt out of the connector from the firewall side to remove it. If the KAM keeps coming back and it doesn't have a chip, you need to check fuses and wiring for continuous battery power to the PCM. If you had a problem there, it could cause a no start.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#27 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 09:42 AM

Could it be that the fuel system just needs pressurized?  I know it's apples to oranges but on my 1985 F350 with a 6.9 diesel if it sets for a long period of time I have to air up the fuel system with compressed air.  It has a valve stem that looks just like one from a tire and thats is where I put the air in.   Do the newer engines even have this option? 

• Ryan313 said thank you

#28 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 11:37 AM

The S10 I am driving now is falling apart as we speak, rotted out, head gaskets blown, burns oil,rear end gears skipping, door doesn't close, no heat, and not to mention that ugly golden bow tie on the front.

That bow tie is the reason it still runs. Ford at least circled the problem on their trucks. :wave:

That rot in the bed is pretty nasty. Best thing about living down south is the lack of metal cancer. I think the 7.3 was the last one before they went to the PowerJoke wasn't it. Or was that the 6.9 I can never remember.

• Michiganmobileman, Ryan313 and CRE1992 have said thanks

#29 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 11:57 AM

That bow tie is the reason it still runs. Ford at least circled the problem on their trucks. :wave:

That rot in the bed is pretty nasty. Best thing about living down south is the lack of metal cancer. I think the 7.3 was the last one before they went to the PowerJoke wasn't it. Or was that the 6.9 I can never remember.

I'm not sure if I would say what the s10 is doing really qualifys as running. Lol

The 7.3 I have is a powerstroke. I think it was '94 that they went from the 7.3 IDI to the 7.3 Powerstroke. Other then displacement they are totally different engines.

#30 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 12:36 PM

I took the fuel filter off and turned the key on, it is getting plenty of fuel. The fuel finter looks brand new, I would imagine that my dad replaced it thinking it might have been one of the problems.

18D1A647-ADBD-4744-BDF1-6BB342FCE55A.jpg

I also checked the oil level in the reservoir, and I dont know how much oil is supposed to be in it, but the oil level is about 2 inches below where the reservoir bolts to the block.