• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 11:46 AM

Today I went and got brake pads for the front, as well as new rotors. I now have everything to put the front end back together; however, being outside working on it despite being winter has gotten me sick, so I am not going to be putting it back together today.

#212 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 11:56 AM

Take care of YOU first.  The truck is no good even repaired if you're too sick to even use it.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#213 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 03:34 PM

Ryan try looking on RockAuto.com to see what their price is. I have had good luck with them buying factory parts for my trucks. And if you drive a Ford you have to save as much money as possible on the parts so you can buy more parts.making-a-face-smiley-emoticon.gif teasing-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

• DougT and Ryan313 have said thanks

#214 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 10:55 PM

Yesterday, I went out and got both leaf springs bolted in place. Then, I spent some time trying to get the axle lined up with the leaf springs, and after a while I gave up since I was still under the weather a bit. Today I tried some more to get the axle lined up and finally got it bolted on. All of the U-bolts are torqued, and the axle is in place again. I also put the steering knuckles on quick. With all of the snow coming, I don't know when I will get back to it, but I hope that this weekend I will have the front end back together. Note to self: block up the axle better to prevent movement next time.

Neighbor Brian said that the scanner needs a part replaced, and he should be able to get it next week. How much of that is true, I don't know.

#215 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 10:53 PM

Neighbor Brian brought the computer home a few days ago, but I didn't know he was bringing it home and I wasn't around all day, so we didn't do it. He brought it home again and we scanned it today, when cranking the oil pressure is almost at 700 psi. Since it was running, ran out of fuel, and hasn't run again we turned to fuel; we knew it was bleed so that was not the problem. I don't know why, but when he had the computer hooked up (I don't think the computer is why, just a coincidence) the fuel pump was running much louder then normal. We came to the conclusion that when it ran out of fuel, it burnt the pump out. He did not have anyway to do a fuel pressure test, but everything else checks out fine. Between running out of fuel, and the loud pump, we figured it burnt out. I don't know if they always burn out when they run out of fuel... but I would like to think it was on its way out anyway.

Yesterday, I put the passenger side of the front end back together; with the new spring, it sits a bit higher... and that wasn't even the broken one! I need to go to Fastenel to get some grade 8 flange nuts for the hub assembly on the driver side, and they are closed on the weekend so I will go tomorrow.

• gopher said thank you

#216 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 06:42 AM

Glad to hear your getting 700psi cranking , does your 7.3 use a schrader valve for a test connection ? In a pinch I've used a pencil type tire pressurer tool to get a ballpark idea of what pressure is in the system , or crack a line , which might give you an idea if there is air being pumped too

• DougT said thank you

#217 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 07:00 AM

Glad to hear your getting 700psi cranking , does your 7.3 use a schrader valve for a test connection ? In a pinch I've used a pencil type tire pressurer tool to get a ballpark idea of what pressure is in the system , or crack a line , which might give you an idea if there is air being pumped too

No, my system does not have a schrader valve on it.

• Alc said thank you

#218 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 05:45 PM

I went to Fastenel, and they did not have them; even if they did have it, the guy said they do not sell hardware individually anymore... he said that they got in trouble with corporate for doing that. I decided to just use the old ones, I was only going to get new ones because I figured, new studs, I would get new nuts too. Using the old ones is no big deal. I did also get it put all back together today.