• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 05:22 PM

Time to go to Mcdonald & Mcdonald springs over on lake street in Newburgh great folks to deal with.

I was over there a few days ago, but their computer system was down and where not able to give me prices. I called today and they said a new spring is $213.XX Plus tax.
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#197 JohnWR ONLINE  

JohnWR
  • Member No: 34556
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 05:29 PM

I snapped one of the leafs in my jeep 2 years ago offroading and they were able to re place the one leaf i think i paid like 75 bucks.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#198 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,777 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 06:20 PM

It definitely looks naked without a bed on it.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#199 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 07:09 PM

I got the replacement HPOP today, and it was not to difficult to get it back in. I did not try to start it for very long, it had not run in around 2 weeks, wasn't plugged in, and it was so cold that my phone turned off. I have it plugged in now, I will try it again in the morning.

#200 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 07:11 PM

I snapped one of the leafs in my jeep 2 years ago offroading and they were able to re place the one leaf i think i paid like 75 bucks.

I don't think that's an option here, the leaf that is not broken, has an odd curve in it since it was doing all the work. I will just replace them so I know that they are all fine.

#201 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 06:26 PM

This morning before school I tried to start it, and it did not start right up, but didn't take to long either. It likely had to crank for a few extra seconds since I forgot to put more oil in the high pressure reservoir after changing the pump. I was running late so I let it run for about 30 seconds then left for school. When I got home I started it up and I was going to let it get hot so I could see if it would start warm. I went inside to get my wallet so I could go get a can of fuel to let it run, as I knew it was low. Then when I went back outside... It wasn't running anymore. I waited to long to get fuel I suppose. I knew it was low, and shouldn't have let that happen. I tried to remove the fuel filter so could bleed it, but no matter how many times I cycled the fuel pump it keeps blowing bubbles into the fuel bowl. At first there was about half air and half fuel coming out of the line into the bowl, but now it seems like it is just air. Should I just keep cycling the pump with the filter off to bleed it, or is there a better way? I really should heave been more careful.

#202 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 10:24 AM

Ryan, you should be able to put the filter back in and cycle the key a few times to bleed it. Those are usually fairly easy to bleed. If you're not filling the fuel bowl though, there would have to be a problem somewhere. Is it sitting at an angle that the fuel you put in isn't enough to pick up? Is that transfer pump on the frame or in the tank? If it's on the frame, maybe its sucking air on the intake side.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#203 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 07:05 AM

The 7.3's are a self bleeding system Ryan, tho they take quite a while to work the air out. I haven't found a better way to do it. Mine has a mechanical fuel pump which unfortunately means lots of cranking to pull fuel through. On yours I'd cycle the pump until the truck will fire, then let it idle for a while and it should clear itself up.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#204 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 09:22 AM

Doug, the pump is on the frame rail by the driver's door.

I was just outside looking at it and the bowl fills fine now but still won't start.

I will try to cycle it some more and see what happens.

#205 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 07:28 PM

I had Neighbor Brian give me a hand, and after a couple minutes we decided it would just be easier for him to bring home the scanner and see if there was a different problem. He thinks the fuel is bled out, but the oil system is air bound.

I took the springs out of the front end on Thursday. It was around 3 o'clock on Thursday when I ordered the new springs online, and by the time I got home from school Friday at 1:30, the new springs where already in the driveway!

I stopped at one of the local steel suppliers last week and all of the steel I need is between $500 and $550 after tax. I had Ed and Harry come over too look at the truck, so they could give me some ideas, and they convinced me to do a wooden deck. Ed said that a wooden deck is easier to modify as I get more things that I want to put on the truck. The wood will be 1 inch oak. The rear 2 feet of the deck will be made of 1/4" plate, this will serve as a nice work-bench. I don't know when I am going to get the steel for it, need the money first.

#206 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,777 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 07:52 PM

The wood bed is a good way to go. Stuff doesn't slide as easy on one.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#207 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 08:47 PM

Ryan, if he has access to the fittings and guage for the high press oil, it would be good to check actual readings against what the computer is showing.  He should also do an injector buzz test. The noise should be fairly consistant from one to the next. If there are any that sound real different, I'd be leary of. I'm leaning toward an internal leak in one of the oil galleys in the heads. Something like a bad injector or bad o rings.

I looked back through and saw you bought the IPR at Autozone? What can Brian get you a Ford one for?

• Ryan313 said thank you

#208 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 09:04 PM

Ryan, if he has access to the fittings and guage for the high press oil, it would be good to check actual readings against what the computer is showing.  He should also do an injector buzz test. The noise should be fairly consistant from one to the next. If there are any that sound real different, I'd be leary of. I'm leaning toward an internal leak in one of the oil galleys in the heads. Something like a bad injector or bad o rings.

I looked back through and saw you bought the IPR at Autozone? What can Brian get you a Ford one for?

I asked him if we could do a buzz test, and he said that we could. The injectors are rebuilt and had new o-rings 6 months before my Dad passed away, so those should not be bad.

I don't know what it would cost him to get it, but my experience is that him buying parts from Ford is much more expensive then going online, or to Autozone, even though he is giving me the price he would get the parts for.

#209 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 10:45 AM

Ryan, don't let yourself be fooled into thinking that because a part is new, it is good. Things like computer items and critical electronic parts I prefer factory parts. Not to say they are never bad but I think you have a better chance of them working. Cheap price isn't always the best option. As for the injectors, you could have a plunger sticking and dumping pressure back into the return. The o rings are also easy to curl or slice and may hold for a while before failing again.

#210 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 11:13 AM

Ryan, don't let yourself be fooled into thinking that because a part is new, it is good. Things like computer items and critical electronic parts I prefer factory parts. Not to say they are never bad but I think you have a better chance of them working. Cheap price isn't always the best option. As for the injectors, you could have a plunger sticking and dumping pressure back into the return. The o rings are also easy to curl or slice and may hold for a while before failing again.

Yes, very true; I have gotten new parts and had them not work from the factory. I guess we will see what the scanner brings up.